F4U with ramjets?

masimaes

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
So, i have no clue if this is real or not. it may be a concept from 1950s. if you have any information on this please let me know.
also just found this very interising article where and f4u shot down a mig-15.https://theaviationgeekclub.com/f4u-vs-mig-15-the-story-of-how-the-wwii-corsair-became-a-mig-killer/ it may be fan art-who knows?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-03 9.23.20 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-03 9.23.20 AM.png
    172.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot 2022-03-03 9.23.13 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-03 9.23.13 AM.png
    126.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot 2022-03-03 9.22.56 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-03 9.22.56 AM.png
    212.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot 2022-03-03 9.23.03 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-03 9.23.03 AM.png
    193.1 KB · Views: 60
Maybe this thread should be moved to User Artwork and Models?

Those 'screenshots' are of a 1/72nd scale Corsair by what-if modeller TomZ.
-- http://www.airwar1946.nl/
-- http://www.airwar1946.nl/whif/L46-F4UR.htm

I love what-if but this 'F4U-9' is one of TomZ's less plausible efforts. First, the pulse-jet engines are placed directly over the gun bays - pity the poor armourers! Secondly, the tailpipes were close to the wing trailing edge - see the Me 328B for resonance affects with two pulse-jet engines (let alone three).

In the text, TomZ identifies the Argus copies as Pratt & Whitney 'J014-01' pulse-jets (based on the RLM designation). Except the USAAF 'J' series designated turbojets (and was sequential). Pulse-jets were designated in the 'PJ' series. The real Argus As 014 copy was the Ford PJ31 for the Republic-Ford JB-2/LTV-N-2 Loon missile.

Even if it was real, how would you get it started?

IMHO, fake, as ram-jets need a minimum air-speed (*) and pulse-jets don't seem to 'play nice' together...

IIRC, tip-jet helos had to be spun-up before their ram-jets worked.

*) Honourable exception seems to be that Antipodean guy with sorta hair-pin arrangement which develops an internal resonance which allows it to be static-run. Given his whatsits' P/W and potential for powering DIY cruise missiles etc, I'm not surprised he suddenly changed hobbies...

From what I remember, even a 'small' whatsit was very, very loud. Four larger would likely rival a 'Bear' for 'acoustic footprint'...

Aside from all of the good points made so far, imagine the C of G issues that would arise from replacing an R-2800 with a few machine guns, especially since they look to be further aft than the original engine.

The vibrations from four pulsejets would tear the wing apart, I'm afraid... USSR have enough problem with making the two-pulsejet missile (derivative of V-1) work properly, and single-use missile clearly much easier in this matter than fighter plane...

In reply #10 - amongst the images of actual ramjet-boosted aircraft - is a photo of the Mustang racer 'Beguine' (NX4845N). In the case of 'Beguine', those wingtip pods were not for ramjets. Rather, NAA relocated the glycol and oil radiators to either wingtip in an attempt to increase the racer's speed - hence the absence of the usual P-51C belly radiator.