cgige

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hi

I'm new in the forum. I am Colombian, and I would like to share this information about the air force of my country.
The Kfirs of the Colombian air force would stop flying in 2023, so the purchase of new aircraft would be very important.
Contacts had been made to buy second-hand F16s from Denmark, but following a visit by FAC inspectors, this was ruled out.
The strongest rumor is that the FAC would have chosen the F16 Block 70.
I share the translation of this article.

Colombia, closer to the F-16 Block 70 fighter

Colombia would select the Lockheed Martin F-16 Block 70 fighter as its future combat aircraft. According to an article published by the newspaper El Tiempo, the Colombian Air Force (FAC) would have recommended to the Government of the country the acquisition of this particular model because it is precisely adapted to the operational needs of the force, as well as to its current and future operation, maintenance and updating capabilities.
However, this revelation is not new, because and as Infodefensa.com has been anticipating, at least since 2019, the FAC would have opted for this aircraft (in the process of renewing its fighter fleet) not only for the reasons stated above but also for strong geopolitical considerations and friendship with the United States, a country with which it maintains close relations in defense and security.
In fact, and during the development of Expodefensa 2019, negotiations were held at the stand of the American company, between executives of the same, officials of the Colombian Ministry of Defense and generals of the FAC command, making decisions in this regard, which To date, they have been kept in reserve, among other factors, due to the lack of financing or resources to carry out a process of this nature.
Even so, and in the midst of an extremely polarized political climate, the Colombian Military Forces (FFMM) hope that this administration - whose term ends next August - will make final decisions (including financing) in the face of several defense projects of a strategic, as President Duque promised to the leadership of the Armed Forces in 2018.

Source: https://www.infodefensa.com/texto-d.../colombia-cada-vez-mas-cerca-caza-f16-bloc-70

Block 70s would be an impressive upgrade for Columbia! Do you know how many F-16s would be acquired?

Would their KC-767s be further upgraded with refueling booms? IAI does still advertised their tanker conversions with an optional boom.

Last edited:
Block 70s would be an impressive upgrade for Columbia! Do you know how many F-16s would be acquired?

Would their KC-767s be further upgraded with refueling booms? IAI does still advertised their tanker conversions with an optional boom.

It would be really cool for us to have F16 Block 70!
There is talk of buying 24 F16 Blobk 70s for $4.5 billion, to replace the 21 Kfir currently in service.
The FAC had also initially evaluated the Eurofighter and Gripen, but finally it seems that the chosen one is the F16.

F-16 Block 70s and F/A-50s ? it's Christmas in April ! Seems to be balanced, logical choices.
Argentina should take inspiration...

Oh boy, Lockheed-Martin restart to build F-16

i wonder how the Belgium parliament will react on that news,
after there struggle to vote for F-35...

F-16 Block 70s and F/A-50s ? it's Christmas in April ! Seems to be balanced, logical choices.
Argentina should take inspiration...
Don’t get too excited. There’s a presidential election coming up on Colombia starting this month. It could go the same way that Chile recently did.

As far as Argentina, decades of economic turmoil have done more to hamper defense procurement than the British embargo on ejector seats for the TA/FA-50 proposal.

What external threats force Columbia to defend themselves with F-16s?
Panama?
Venezuela?
Ecuador?
Brazil?

Panama?
Venezuela?
Ecuador?
Brazil?
Probably just the Venezuelan Sukhois and the Atlas Cheetah from Ecuador (if these are still in operation).
Panama has virtually no air force. Brazil is not a threat.

Don't forget Cuba and today Nicaragua. Aside of the insurgency threat (that need a fighter jet to tackle today if you want to keep your budget defense descent - see Columbia size), San andreas island is often cited as a potential point of contention.

Don't forget Cuba and today Nicaragua. Aside of the insurgency threat (that need a fighter jet to tackle today if you want to keep your budget defense descent - see Columbia size), San andreas island is often cited as a potential point of contention.
Good call, forgot about that one. Mostly had my eyes to the east because Maduro in the not too recent past stirred the pot.

From the linked article:
Petro’s decision may come as a surprise given his stance earlier this year on the campaign trail, when he said the purchase of combat aircraft or other military hardware would not be a priority during his time in office, if elected.

Military sources in the capital Bogota, speaking on the condition of anonymity to protect their careers, told Defense News that the credit for Petro’s U-turn belongs to Gen. Luis Carlos Córdoba, the chief of the Colombian Air Force. They explained that Córdoba convinced Defense Minister Iván Velásquez about the urgent need to replace at least part of the Kfir fleet, which will begin retirements later this year, and Velásquez in turn persuaded the president.

The Colombian government is now considering how it can afford to buy new fighters. The president is already pressing for investments in social issues, and about 25% of the country’s annual budget is earmarked to pay off debts.

Bogota-based independent defense and security analyst Erich Saumeth is skeptical.

“President Preto came into power making many promises about social development spending, and has a core group of supporters that are not friendly about buying military equipment. On the other hand, the Army and Navy also have need of modernization,” Saumeth told Defense News. “So either nothing will happen, or [there will be] a not-so-good, sort-of-mediocre stopgap solution.”

Panama?
Venezuela?
Ecuador?
Brazil?

Venezuelan Su-30MKI and Brazilian Gripen, apparently.

Venezuela doesn't operate the MKI (SM) type, they operate the MK type if I am not mistaken. Those still twist cassegrain antenna so I think Block 52 should be able to handle it.

Panama?
Venezuela?
Ecuador?
Brazil?

Venezuela doesn't operate the MKI (SM) type, they operate the MK type if I am not mistaken. Those still twist cassegrain antenna so I think Block 52 should be able to handle it.
indeed, they operate the older MKK type. note the square tip fins similar to those used by China

Realistically speaking the biggest threat Colombia faces remain drug trafficking Cessnas. Something like a FA-50 is more than qualified for the job.

Panama?
Venezuela?
Ecuador?
Brazil?

indeed, they operate the older MKK type. note the square tip fins similar to those used by China

Mea culpa. Not sure what source I saw that had MKI. I'm seeing MK2 a couple of places now. But also that they are basically non-operational (or were as of 2021, anyway).