Straight-wing F-86 Prototype

Nope. The FJ-1 was NA-134, the XP-86 was NA-140. The straight-wing XP-86 apparently was NA-136 [it wasn't*]. Actually this was discussed recently in another thread. Are you sure there was a mock-up, anyway? Here's an illustration, which I suspect is a later composition, not an original NAA illustration:

* see here: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,665.msg171934.html#msg171934

Attachments

• NA-136.jpg
    NA-136.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 670
I saw a mockup picture of the airplane in question and it had MX-673 on its nose.

From "Wings of Fame" Volume 10 Page 38:

"The straight-wing project proceeded as far as a wooden mock-up of the left wing and fuselage, complete with dummy J-35 engine. It was unveiled at Inglewood in June 1945"

From Squadron Signal's second F-86 in action (#1126):

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 661
Justo, you've been posting without citing sources again

The pic can be found from this source:

"Wings of Fame" Volume 10 Page 38

aim9xray said:
I think that you will find, under closer analysis, that the Squadron/Signal "XP-86" drawing is much closer to representing a FJ Fury than an XP-86.

This is also what I thought, but until we get a proper NA-136 straight-wing XP-86 profile, I guess that's the closest we're going to get...

overscan said:
Justo, you've been posting without citing sources again. Bad Justo ;D

I just have the picture cut from a magazine, I do ignore the source.... :-\
Please see sources cited in my last post about the Martin XB-51,in accordance with the rules.

I have found some additional info from
-"La flèche fait la différence"-Le fanatique de l'Aviation unknown issue
-"U.S. Experimental & Prototype Aircraft Projects-Fighters 1939-1945- by Bill Norton .Speciality Press 2008

Attachments

• Escanear0003.jpg
    Escanear0003.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 601
  • Escanear0002.jpg
    Escanear0002.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 588
  • Escanear.jpg
    Escanear.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 502
  • Escanear0001.jpg
    Escanear0001.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 597
The XFJ-1 had the same wing-mounted dive brakes as the XP-86. This was changed for production to the fuselage-mounted brakes, reportedly due to a roll-control incident on a test flight following a jam of the wing-mounted brakes on one side. The FJ-1 engine was also removed through the top of the fuselage rather than removing the aft fuselage, apparently to minimize the deck space required for an engine change.

Hey Stargazer and Pometablava - a little off topic, but do you have any profile drawings of the TF-86 two-seater trainer variant of the Sabre, which NAA built as a single prototype????

Regards
Pioneer

Pioneer said:
do you have any profile drawings of the TF-86 two-seater trainer variant of the Sabre, which NAA built as a single prototype????

There is a topic on this very forum with lots of pics and a profile drawing:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8568.0/highlight,tf-86f.html

Sorry, I have no pictures about this particular variant

I for am glad they abandoned the straight wing concept. Otherwise we would have never gotten these beauties.

Attachments

• Three XP then XF-86 Sabre Jets-small.jpg
    Three XP then XF-86 Sabre Jets-small.jpg
    579.9 KB · Views: 510
Scans from:
Evolution of the F-86, By Morgan (Mac) Blair
AIAA Evolution of Aircraft Wing Design Symposium, March 18, 1980.

Figure 5 shows the P-51H, XFJ-1, and original XP-86.

Figure 11 shows the initial wind tunnel configuration with alternate wings with aspect ratios of 5 and 6; and unswept tail.

Figure 13 shows further refinement; fuselage cross section has been revised.

Figure 18 shows the relationships between the wings of the North American fighters.

Attachments

• Figure 5.jpg
    Figure 5.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 455
  • Figure 11.jpg
    Figure 11.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 355
  • Figure 13.jpg
    Figure 13.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 272
  • Figure 18.jpg
    Figure 18.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 319
I recently acquired a number of NAA Columbus FJ Fury photos and amongst them was this photo of the XFJ-1. I'm posting it for the sake of completeness/comparison on the topic since the production FJ-1 differed in detail.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• xXFJ-1 39054 Nov-46.jpg
    xXFJ-1 39054 Nov-46.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 355
The designation NA-136 did NOT apply to the straight-wing XP-86 project as previously suggested.

Forum member Steve Pace reveals the allocation of that designation here:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,665.msg171934.html#msg171934

I have edited my posts and apologize for the wrong assumption.

Does anyone have, or know where to find, dimensions and drawings of the North American NA.140, the later F-86 Sabre, only with straight wings? Thanks in advance!
A SPF thread

Thanks for the clue !

Last edited by a moderator:
The recent Hatchette bookazine on the F-86 has a lovely-sized three-view of the straight-winged proposal along with mock-up pictures and a picture of a desk model. It also has a three-view of an intermediate swept wing study that retains the straight tail surfaces.

The recent Hatchette bookazine on the F-86 ...

What now?
The entry on the F-86 in Hatchette's "Air Power" series; ISSN 2517-259X. I purchased mine at the local B&N before "social distancing" measures shut it down temporarily.

aim9xray's Figure 11 above is the intermediate step drawing I mentioned.

Would anyone be interested in a 1/72 kit of the straight wing NA.140 version?
I, for one, would. Been looking at crossing bits from a F-86A and a FJ-1 as the starting point for modeling one; a kit would be simpler.

Would anyone be interested in a 1/72 kit of the straight wing NA.140 version?
I, for one, would. Been looking at crossing bits from a F-86A and a FJ-1 as the starting point for modeling one; a kit would be simpler.
Thanks for your input! I'm putting together our latest production list and your feedback really helps!

A single photo of the straight wing XP-86 appears on page 6 of "WARBIRDTECH Series: North American F-86 SabreJet DAY FIGHTERS, Volume 3. The caption reads: The only known photo of the XP-86 straight wing design at mock-up, which was unveiled at Inglewood in June 1945. Only the left side of the mock-up was finished and inspected on June 20, 1945. Although the XP-86 never went beyond the mock-up stage, its Navy cousin, the XFJ-1 Fury went into full production, becoming the first operational jet fighter for the Navy. (NAA)"

Back
Top Bottom