• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

F-22 Raptor and an unidentified store in its weapons bay. (Help required!)

I

Ian33

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/AirShows/Edwards2005/Highlights/F22DisplayingWeaponsBays_1.jpg

Hi guys - browsing through some F-22 images I found this one thats left me wondering. Can any one shed light on the function (if any) of this red 'box' in the weapons bay? is it to do with the CG of the aircraft, because i have seen this before with a Raptor having two AMRAAM in left bay and one of these 'red boxes' in the right bay.

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Just a guess on my part but if this picture was taken at an airshow it might just be a storage/equipment holder. I was at an airshow where beside a F-15 and F-16 were four things that looked "just like bombs" I asked the mechanic if those were "mockups" of ordinance and he said; to paraphrase, "travelling around the US from airshow to airshow we take advantage of all means to carry our equipment" they were simply hollow "bombs" that could store everything from tools to suitcases.

I

Ian33

Thats what I thought it would be - that or some thing like the old drill rounds F-4 Phantoms carried to keep the CG within limits. makes sense too to carry stores about like that.

I

Ian33

Test gear? any ideas what for? The missile release system? the electrics / electronics? simulations? calculating and monitoring the pressure / air flow through the weapons bay?

Could it be a spare fuel tank? are the weapons bays plumbed for fuel?

flateric

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
from f-16.net

Btw I have Jay Miller's book on the F-22, but there is only one pic of the orange box (on page 122), and it says here it is a "Test Instrumentation Package". I'm not sure but I think somewhere else in the book it says that one of the things tested during the program was weapons-bay acoustics, and the box may serve that purpose. Combat ready Raptors do not have these. They either have the 3 AVELs for the AMRAAMs or the SDB rack. The box has flown at several airshows.

On flight test airplanes, all special gear related to test instrumentation is orange, to distinguish it from production parts. That includes wiring, transducers, mounting brackets, power supplies, recorders, telemetering transmitters, etc. That weapon bay box is large enough to house the power supplies, recorder, and transmitters, so I suspect that is what it is. On a high density fighter, it is difficult to find a place to put all the test instrumentation, so the F-22 weapon bay is a good location. The F-111 test instrumentation package was also in its weapon bay. On many F-16 test airplanes, the gun and ammo drum were removed to make room for the data system.

Attachments

• f22-41_300.jpg
    f22-41_300.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 79
  • f22-40_300.jpg
    f22-40_300.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 19990518f2241.jpg
    19990518f2241.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 74
  • 422ndtest_16_813.jpg
    422ndtest_16_813.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 113
I

Ian33

Flateric - I am deeply in your debt good Sir! My appreciation for those pictures also.

Matej

Multiuniversal creator
Reaction score
Website
www.hitechweb.genezis.eu
Meanwhile I found it too, so I add that the plane with this test equipment and opened weapons bay was shown to general public at Edward air show 2005.

quellish

I am not actually here.
Reaction score
Matej said:
Meanwhile I found it too, so I add that the plane with this test equipment and opened weapons bay was shown to general public at Edward air show 2005.

If you guys want me to ask at the open house next week, let me know. The F-22 guys are usually pretty chatty.

I

Ian33

author=quellish
If you guys want me to ask at the open house next week, let me know. The F-22 guys are usually pretty chatty.

Ah that would be brilliant if you wouldn't mind! and maybe add some of your pics ;) !!

quellish

I am not actually here.
Reaction score
Ian33 said:
author=quellish

Ah that would be brilliant if you wouldn't mind! and maybe add some of your pics ;) !!

The big red box was installed but not visible, check the RF-22 thread for photos.