Unbuilt F-16 based projects

I suspect this paper may have a clue about the Falcon 21++ with internal weapons, but strangely this paper is missing in the AIAA website.

Durham, A. H. and Park, P. H., "Integrated Air Vehicle/Propulsion Technologies for Multi-Role Fighter - A General Dynamics Perspective," AIAA Paper AIAA-90-2279, AIAA/SAE/ASME/ASEE 26th Joint Propulsion Conference, Orlando, Florida, 1990.

https://arc.aiaa.org/doi/book/10.2514/MJPC90

aiaa.PNG

Thinking it over, F-16XL with the big nose with APG-65 and armed with a buttload of AMRAAM would have made for a nice long range missile truck...

Sorry guys,my memory is not well this days,

did we talk about A-16 version,Close Air Support & Battlefield Air Interdiction,which competed Fairchild-Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II successor and Vought YA-7F Strikefighter,A-16 was the winner,later cancelled for F-16C/D Block 30 ?.

Worth adding is the NF-16D Vista which became the X-62A:

Attachments

• X-62A.jpg
    X-62A.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 190130-F-CX978-0230.jpg
    190130-F-CX978-0230.jpg
    966 KB · Views: 193
Sorry guys,my memory is not well this days,

did we talk about A-16 version,Close Air Support & Battlefield Air Interdiction,which competed Fairchild-Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II successor and Vought YA-7F Strikefighter,A-16 was the winner,later cancelled for F-16C/D Block 30 ?.
Is this thread the one you're thinking of - F/A-16. A CAS aircraft with some get up and go.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 155
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 156
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 213
Not an unbuilt version but alternate cannon armament might-have-been.
Mauser BK27 or Oerlikon KCA 30mm would have been good for a hypothetical A-16. The DEFA shoots 30x113mm, so I don't think I'd want that.

Mauser BK27 or Oerlikon KCA 30mm would have been good for a hypothetical A-16. The DEFA shoots 30x113mm, so I don't think I'd want that.
The 30x113 was design as a jet killer for both the Brits and the French on most of their jets til the 80s.

With a honorable mention to the EE Lightning and the Israeli using the heck out of them including getting a few aces.

It actually fairly decent in all.

The 30x113 was design as a jet killer for both the Brits and the French on most of their jets til the 80s.

With a honorable mention to the EE Lightning and the Israeli using the heck out of them including getting a few aces.

It actually fairly decent in all.
Painfully low velocity, though.

Painfully low velocity, though.
Not really?

Its books its at nearly 850 meter a second from a barrel third of the length of any you listed while using mine shells, the BK23 is the only one that uses a similar shell and gets only 100 ms faster.

And with modern.... everything, its not any more harder aiming then the old Vulcan with similar effective range.

Plus since you are tossing a decent amount of HIEX at something. Not many things can survive a single HIT from that which are not MBT level armoring* or Burke plus ship size.

Also the newest round has a proxy fuse, so for aircraft you dont even need to hit. While ground targets get to deal with airbursts from plane strafes.

*the US Army M789 High Explosive Dual Purpose (HEDP) can pen over a inch of armor at any range thanks to its heat nature. Which is a good bit more then even the A10 Gau8. So even tanks get to have a bad day.

I think the later versions (don't know which numbers specifically) of the ADEN and DEFA cannons and the newer M230 chain gun had a muzzle velocity of roughly 805 mps but earlier versions were lower velocity although the shell they used were slightly heavier. Those were still better than the throwing-a-grapefruit trajectory of the WWII German MK108 at least.

30x113mm HEDP can penetrate over an inch but that the DU-core API of the 30x173mm GAU-8 on the A-10 can do over twice that at a kilometer. Some of the European countries made 30x113mm AP/API ammunition but I can't imagine its performance is all that impressive.

ADEN had a muzzle velocity of 715m/s

Not found a specific figure for the DEFA 552 or 553. The 554 was 765m/s firing APHEI-SD, 815 m/s with HEI and 820m/s with TP ammo.
I suspect the 552 and 553 would have been similar.

814m/s according to these links:

Makes sense that the muzzle velocity is roughly in the same ballpark, as this is a family of weapons, firing the same ammunition, with incremental design changes and improvements focusing on the feeding mechanics, rate of fire, and durability.

Last edited:
Anyone knows there was a High Altitude version of F-16 proporsal with extended wing span?

Attachments

• F-16HighAltitudeProporsalforReconnaissance.jpg
    F-16HighAltitudeProporsalforReconnaissance.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 109
Well, it's not WWII anymore, where you need longer span to reach higher altitude and engage high flying enemy bombers or reconnaissance aircraft. Missiles do the job.

But a larger wing F-16 was indeed studied and proposed to some customers (mainly the European countries who originally bought the first F-16As and were in search of a mid-life update) as the Agile Falcon. The purpose of the larger wing was to regain maneuverability despite the heavier weight of the new F-16s (more avionics, heavier structure to allow more ordnance). Not sure if the maximum altitude was increased, the engine and pilot equipment might be the limiting factors.

For all post 60's fighters that I can think of which had a larger (or longer span) wing (actually built or just projected) variant, the aim was to improve agility, payload, internal fuel and range... Not maximum altitude.

But a larger wing F-16 was indeed studied and proposed to some customers (mainly the European countries who originally bought the first F-16As and were in search of a mid-life update) as the Agile Falcon. The purpose of the larger wing was to regain maneuverability despite the heavier weight of the new F-16s (more avionics, heavier structure to allow more ordnance). Not sure if the maximum altitude was increased, the engine and pilot equipment might be the limiting factors.
And which was produced in Japan as the Mitsubishi F-2.

They don't look any bigger until you see an F-2 parked next to an F-16.

And which was produced in Japan as the Mitsubishi F-2.

They don't look any bigger until you see an F-2 parked next to an F-16.
Mitsubishi F-2's wing was basically an entirely domestic effort. The original US plans were for something like Agile Falcon, with wing consisting of a metal sub-structure covered with composite panels, but the Japanese had different ideas, and essentially developed an almost entirely domestic aircraft which just happened to be in the shape of an F-16, with an all-composite wing.

Last edited:
I don’t think the F-2 has a higher operating ceiling then say a Block 50 F-16, but I don’t think it suffers a dramatic drop in turn rate at higher altitudes like the F-16 does. I’ve heard the F-16 dominates an F-15 at low altitudes while an F-2 dominates the F-15J up to “medium” altitudes, whatever those are.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom