• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

F-15 Wing Area & Wing-Body Fairing Question

KJ_Lesnick

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Before I start, I am not asking a question I've already asked before... Also, I have not been able to find an answer to this question using a couple of google-searches...

With that said...

Does the F-15's listed wing-area include the wing-body fairings and such? I'm just asking because a site I just looked at said...
URL: http://www.ausairpower.net/Profile-F-15A-D.html

The very low combat wing loading of 60 lb/sq ft results in superb 14 degree/sec sustained turning, the aircraft pays a penalty though, both in rough low altitude ride and in a massive 608 sq ft wing area, a large contribution to the 1050 sq ft planform. This size problem has increased detectability and forces the use of low visibility paint, initially air superiority blue supplanted later by more effective two tone greys. The F-15A accelerates well, with a combat thrust/weight of 0.9 in military power and a full 1.3 in reheat. Fully loaded with four AIM-7F Sparrows and four AIM-9L Sidewinders it will reach up to Mach 1.78 in level flight and is allowed up to 7.33 G in combat configuration.

(bold emphasis mine)

Kendra Lesnick

CammNut

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
The simple answer is to get an F-15 three-view and measure it. From an aerodynamicist's viewpoint, wing area is usually calculated by projecting the leading and trailing edges to where they meet on the aircraft's centreline, the measuring the area enclosed.

LowObservable

Reaction score
That approach worked well when pretty well all airplanes were cigar-and-popsicle-stick design and the projected body area included in the gross area was small and (in proportional terms) not that different from one airplane to another. How well does it work in comparing a Su-35 to an F-35A/B?

CammNut

Reaction score
A good point - I suspect they have got more sophisticated in working out how much body lift to take into account. I will have to get my three-vies and squared paper out...

LowObservable

Reaction score
Many planforms can be resolved in terms of right angled triangles, if you're out of squared paper.

CammNut

Reaction score
What, and miss colouring in all the squares then counting them, including matching all the little bits together to make whole squares? LO, you are a mean old spoilsport.

Did I say that out loud?