McDonnell-Douglas / Boeing F-15 Eagle

Nice collection ! They only lacks Typhoons :p

And they still have Mirage V, wow ! And they once had Phantoms, MiG-21 and MiG-23/27.

Their NASM / Le Bourget military aviation museum must be quite a sight. Doesn't have much to spend to get cold war fighters: they only to borrow from the Air Force past inventory and stocks.

We have also Mirage-2000,and Typhoon will be in the way;

all the aircaft fanboys are now going to throw money at the Egyptian AF to conduct studies on Rafale vs Typhoon vs F-16 vs F-15 vs MiG-29 vs Su-35 and get the answers they finally been looking for

We have a winner here ! I was going to write "this is an aviation buff wet dream came true"

My guess is Egypt wants to start it's own aerospace industry and wants all of these types for reverse engineering efforts.

More probably a political decision: buy a lot, in any direction and binge on political opponents (and Mexican tourists!) without any restraints...

More probably a political decision: buy a lot, in any direction and binge on political opponents (and Mexican tourists!) without any restraints...

yeah I think in this way too.
The only reason to have so many diverse types is usually to promote a strategic goal not a logistical one.
Buy allies and/or reduce reliance on one source
Qatar is also doing something similar

given Egypt's huge potential issues in Libya as well as maritime boundaries, can't blame them.

To be cynical it’s an approach that could hoover up the maximum bribes as possible while minimising reliance on any one country should they ever in the future apply sanctions etc.

Given Egypts significant reliance on the US (military aid etc.) a F-15 buy would be less about diversification and more about giving the US a slice of the pie knowing you’re not getting F35 any time soon.

Last edited:
isn't the F-15 intended to be the replacement for the stalled Su-35 deal? or something connected to the Su-35? IRC

No,we buy both of them.
You sure?

isn't the F-15 intended to be the replacement for the stalled Su-35 deal? or something connected to the Su-35? IRC

No,we buy both of them.
You sure?

I've heard there are already more than 20 aircrafts produced for Egypt so if those reports concerning Egypt declining the deliveries are true, it's gonna be a messy deal.

a week or two ago I posted pictures, I think in the SU-35 thread
of completed Su-35 air frames in Egyptian colors but they were still in Russia.
the question is..will they be delivered

Rafales and Typhoons and F-15s and Su-35s and MiG-35s. Plus the LWFs. Hesham, your country air force rocks the skies.

Hard to see Russia, depleted of foreign electronics, giving some away from their strategic stocks at a time of war.
Unless they have a way of sourcing some back through said maintenance channels.

Last edited:
US to withdraw permanent F-15 fighter force from Okinawa (ft.com, subscription or registration may be required)

The US air force plans to replace its entire fleet of F-15 fighter jets based in Okinawa, Japan, with a “rotational” force, a shift that some American and Japanese officials worry will send a dangerous signal to China about deterrence.

The air force intends to retire two squadrons of ageing F-15 Eagles that have been permanently based in Okinawa, according to six people familiar with the situation. The decision has triggered alarm in some parts of the Japanese government and the Pentagon because the air force does not intend to replace them with a permanent presence in the near term.

The move will involve half of the roughly 100 air force fighters in Japan and is part of a modernisation programme. Critics are concerned about possible gaps that could weaken the ability to deter China. “The message to China is the US is not serious about reversing the decline in its military forces,” said David Deptula, a retired F-15 pilot and former vice-commander of US Pacific Air Forces who blamed years of under-investment for a lack of aircraft. “This will encourage the Chinese to take more dramatic action.”

The air force plans to send fifth-generation F-22 fighters from Alaska to Okinawa’s Kadena, a critical air base in the region, for a six-month rotation after the F-15s’ departure from the base next year. But several people said the force had not worked out future rotations, which raised concerns about possible gaps.

The air force said it could not discuss the plan for security reasons, but Ann Stefanek, the air force’s spokesperson, said it would “continue to maintain readiness in support of our US-Japan alliance, which is a cornerstone for security in the Indo-Pacific”. US Indo-Pacific Command, which oversees US forces in Asia, did not comment. Japan’s defence and foreign ministries did not comment.

[snip]

This seems rather unwise, to say the least...

US to withdraw permanent F-15 fighter force from Okinawa (ft.com, subscription or registration may be required)

The US air force plans to replace its entire fleet of F-15 fighter jets based in Okinawa, Japan, with a “rotational” force, a shift that some American and Japanese officials worry will send a dangerous signal to China about deterrence.

The air force intends to retire two squadrons of ageing F-15 Eagles that have been permanently based in Okinawa, according to six people familiar with the situation. The decision has triggered alarm in some parts of the Japanese government and the Pentagon because the air force does not intend to replace them with a permanent presence in the near term.

The move will involve half of the roughly 100 air force fighters in Japan and is part of a modernisation programme. Critics are concerned about possible gaps that could weaken the ability to deter China. “The message to China is the US is not serious about reversing the decline in its military forces,” said David Deptula, a retired F-15 pilot and former vice-commander of US Pacific Air Forces who blamed years of under-investment for a lack of aircraft. “This will encourage the Chinese to take more dramatic action.”

The air force plans to send fifth-generation F-22 fighters from Alaska to Okinawa’s Kadena, a critical air base in the region, for a six-month rotation after the F-15s’ departure from the base next year. But several people said the force had not worked out future rotations, which raised concerns about possible gaps.

The air force said it could not discuss the plan for security reasons, but Ann Stefanek, the air force’s spokesperson, said it would “continue to maintain readiness in support of our US-Japan alliance, which is a cornerstone for security in the Indo-Pacific”. US Indo-Pacific Command, which oversees US forces in Asia, did not comment. Japan’s defence and foreign ministries did not comment.

[snip]

This seems rather unwise, to say the least...
It seems really smart to me. But of course, when news articles don't talk about why, I can see why people who don't know what's going on to think that. The U.S. military plan is to be less permanent and more mobile. Instead of always operating out of one base they are going to move around to multiple bases to operate out of at different times. That means instead of the Chinese setting up their offenses to attack a few bases, they will have to set them up to attack every airfield capable of operating these aircraft from in the Pacific. It makes attacking us that much more difficult.

The way things are going, the United States is setting herself and her allies up for a classic Defeat in detail, I fear.

Last edited:
I was just wondering if some beancounter in the DOD was thinking along those lines when the Japan drawdown was being proposed.

EDIT:

Last edited:
The way things are going, the United States is setting herself and her allies up for a classic Defeat in detail, I fear.

Given Chinese missile capability in theater, the bigger fear is Defeat-All-At-Once. The US et al has strategic depth and can pull more assets from out of theater but in the short term most of its resources not underway in the WestPac are sitting ducks. The USAF is attempting to play a shell game with assets in the AO to either force more weapons to be used across a much larger number of targets or force an intensive, and possibly detectable, ISR effort before any initial attack to identify where targets are positioned.