• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

F-15 One-Wing Aerodynamics

KJ_Lesnick

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The F-15 was able to fly on one wing because of it's wide-fuselage, and excellent control-power. I got a question, how much of a role did the variable-geometry inlet (you know the hinged inlet lip) lip position play in the amount of lift the fuselage itself produced?

KJ_Lesnick
Was the variable-geometry inlet lip design patented by McDonnell, or could any aircraft company use it?

L

Lee

KJ_Lesnick, quoted:
"Was the variable-geometry inlet lip design patented by McDonnell, or could any aircraft company use it?"

True, in my opinion. Was this something like what you were looking for?

http://www.google.com/patents?id=WOkHAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=variable+inlet+inassignee:McDonnell&as_drrb_ap=q&as_minm_ap=1&as_miny_ap=2008&as_maxm_ap=1&as_maxy_ap=2008&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=1&as_miny_is=2008&as_maxm_is=1&as_maxy_is=2008&num=50

McDonnell Douglas patented that general design. Patents are meant to be wide in scope and American ones always include a disclaimer saying that many variations are possible in any patent.

However, anyone whosoever can claim improvements to a patent and then argue it out in court if sued over it. That should be how it works internationally.

KJ_Lesnick

Reaction score
I thought the rule with patents was that if you modified it just a little you can get around the patent?

L

Lee

In theory, yes, minor variations in a patent should be allowable.

However, there should be either some improvement or useful benefit coming out of a patent compared to 'prior art'. That's the legal standard. Where the rub comes in is the opinion of what constitutes these virtues legally.

There's a whole field of legal specialization to Patent Law in America and all litigation is art---which really boils down to an opinion. Cultural art and legal arts are like that.

KJ_Lesnick

Reaction score
Wait...

I just checked that patent again... those were dated 2001... did they patent the 'mission adaptive' idea (droopable inlet) when the F-15 was being designed and built? Or did the only do it in 2001?

Kendra Lesnick

Weaver

Clarence: stop secrets...
Reaction score
Wasn't the first such intake of that general shape flown on the North American A-5 Vigilante? If so, then how do NA's patents (I presume they had some) compare with McDD's?

KJ_Lesnick

Reaction score
I'm not talking about the ramps, I'm talking about the intake lip which droops at low-speed and opens up at high-speed.

Kendra Lesnick