• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

F-117 FLIR/laser questions

Firebee

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I've been reading a bit recently about the F-117, and having seen some nice photos (in books), I have some questions about the sensor turret. I know it has a wire mesh (coated with RAM) covering it, and that flat panels of various materials (glass, etc.) were tried before settling on the mesh. However, isn't it still basically open to the air? It seems it would be quite 'draggy'.
Also, when the turret is rotated to the rear, there appears a faceted, red-painted object in the turret bay. Any ideas on what this is? And is it there at all times, or only when the turret is rotated rearward? I'm thinking it is maybe a housing for cables. I've had a hard time finding a good picture online to illustrate it, but perhaps you can make it out in this photo:

(modified with smaller, better pic)

quellish

I am not actually here.
Reaction score
IIRC the red thing is a cover that's removed before flight. I could be mistaken.

As to your other questions...
http://books.google.com/books?id=rzXdGpkDa7YC&lpg=PA71&vq=IRADS&pg=PA97#v=snippet&q=IRADS&f=false

Firebee

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Quellish. I've been meaning to get that book for some time now. As for the "Remove Before Flight" status of the red mystery object, I've seen other photos where it is visible in flight, like so: