F-104 Starfighter with Deltawing ?

Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
from the F-104 Starfighter were allot variants and proposal
but was none of them with a Deltawing ?

and had Starfighter preformed worst or better ?

For supersonic flight Lockheeds research after WW II had determined the straight low aspect wing
as the optimum, reasons you can read here (from AviationWeek .12.1953), so I think it was out of
question for the F-104.

Attachments

• Lockheed-Jetdesign1.JPG
    Lockheed-Jetdesign1.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 661
  • Lockheed-Jetdesign2.JPG
    Lockheed-Jetdesign2.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 705
Thanks for info Jemiba

that explane why never was Deltawing for F-104

no Ryan F-104 VTOL don't count, because this a VTOL Rotor
i mean a F-104 with Deltawing like Mirage III

Kelly Johnson was a genius, but the F-104 had lousy low-speed performance compared to delta-wing fighters like the F-102

Jemiba said:
For supersonic flight Lockheeds research after WW II had determined the straight low aspect wing
as the optimum, reasons you can read here (from AviationWeek .12.1953), so I think it was out of
question for the F-104.

Interesting how that changed. (F-106, Mirages, F-16XL, XB-70, SSTs, Blackbirds, D-21 etc.)

At the same time, Convair went firmly for the delta planform (as did Gloster, Fairey and Dassault - and arguably English Electric, if you regard the Lightning wing as a delta with a gap at the inboard trailing edge), so I think it was more a matter that in those days there were no wrong answers; you just chose a design philosophy and went with it.

pathology_doc said:
At the same time, Convair went firmly for the delta planform.

Yep. (Jeez, how did I forget the B-58?) And let's not forget all the Russian supersonic tailed-deltas.