European AFV development in a continued Cold War

Keyboard Commando

Haunebu Pilot
Reaction score
I've seen other threads discuss American and Soviet development more extensively so I wanted to focus on European (NATO & WarPac) designs. Premise being Stalin dies in 1945 and is replaced by Malenkov, giving them a better trajectory for modernization and economic development with minimal changes to the OTL Cold War. Anyway, I think we've seen how European cooperation and multinational programs usually suffer from cost overruns, delays, and infighting due to specific national requirements. The Boxer originated with the EVA program of the 90s that was started after the fall of the USSR, the Daimler EXF and Nexter Vextra were tech demonstrators for EVA, would Boxer even come to fruition or would we see those two vehicles be developed instead due to national pride and differing doctrines? The Marder 2 was a much simpler and heavier vehicle that predated the NGP program that gave us the Puma, TRACER in the UK is another interesting concept that was supposed to replace the CVR(T) family as a dedicated armored recon vehicle. How do you think European AFV development would look in a continued Cold War?

SSgtC

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Maybe a Leopard 3 armed with a 140mm cannon and more armor? We might see European nations fielding both the Bradley and Abrams as well.

uk 75

Reaction score
The makeup of European forces in the 90s was pretty much in place at the end of the Cold War.
Tanks
West Germany would have ordered more Leopard 2 tanks to replace Leopard 1 which in turn would have replaced M48 in Territorial units. Netherlands would have ordered more Leo2 to replace Leo1 and Centurions. Belgium may have ordered Leo2 to replace all or some Leo1. Canada and Denmark bought Leo2 in real life so no change. Italy introduces the Ariete to more units. Greece and Turkey would have received Leo1s and some Leo2. Spain might have bought Leclerc joining France (Greece too). Portugal might also have got Leopards. The UK got Challenger 2 but might have retained some Challenger1s
The US replaced all M60andM48 in the 90s in real life but in alt 90s the M1 would have been in units disbanded after 1991
IFV/APC
Apart from the Marder 2 I don't see much change. Belgium and Holland had the AIFV/M113 family. Canada might have replaced M113 in 4CMB with a European or US IFV. France might have improved its AMX10. Italy did introduce new stuff as did Spain. The UK would have had Warrior but FV432 would probably have soldiered on as it was the cheapest option. The awful Saxons might have been replaced by Boxers
Artillery except for new AA systems stays as in our 90s. Germany might have developed a system to replace Gepard and Roland

Nik

Reaction score
Might Germans have fielded some 'casemate' tank killers to supplement the MBTs ? Perhaps on same chassis as 'shoot + scoot' artillery...