Ettore Fieramosca OG design

sgeorges4

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
after reading the french traduction of Erminio Bagnasco book on the ww2 submarine ,I founded that the submarine was going to carry a plane and some mine but the design got change during the construction:
1931-1941%20Smg%20Fieramosca%20-%20I%20sommergibili%20italiani%201895-1962%20-%20Pollina%20P.M.%20%281963%29%20%281024%29.jpg

Italian wikipedia page reports about Piaggio P.8 or Macchi M.53.
Here it is the Piaggio P.8 also in folded configuration.

1598514532788.png

Both the Macchi M.53 and Piaggio P.8 were flown and both proved successful, neither was actually tested aboard the Ettore Fieramosca and the hangar was removed.

Both the Macchi M.53 and Piaggio P.8 were flown and both proved successful, neither was actually tested aboard the Ettore Fieramosca and the hangar was removed.

Correct.

The point is that both hangar and mines were removed from Fieramosca well before it was laid down,
Nevertheless the design was flawed enough that crew called it "Ettore Fieraguasti" (sounds like "Ettore Fierafailure....").

The point is that both hangar and mines were removed from Fieramosca well before it was laid down,
Nevertheless the design was flawed enough that crew called it "Ettore Fieraguasti" (sounds like "Ettore Fierafailure....").

Most published sources I have seen say the submarine was completed with the hangar but that it was removed in 1931 when she also received a 120mm/45 gun.

Most published sources I have seen say the submarine was completed with the hangar but that it was removed in 1931 when she also received a 120mm/45 gun.

Interesting, because I remember that Fieramosca was completed w/o such features. I have to check my bibliography.

Yes, other sources too states that the hanger was removed in 1931 and the planned aircraft was not carried

Here she is when launched, clearly that cylindrical object aft should be the Hanger:
Ettore%2BFieramosca%2Bvaro%2B%2528SM%2529.jpg

At Taranto, 1930:
Ettore%2BFieramosca%2Ba%2BTaranto%2B1930%2Bprove%2Bin%2Bmare%2Bversione%2Boriginale%2B%2528Marcello%2BRisolo%2529.jpg

Ettore%2BFieramosca%2B%2528Giuseppe%2BPeluso-Betasom%2529.jpg

Thank you my dear Tzoli such images definitely clarify the question.
Such thing could also explain why the Fieramosca, after modification, would be so prone to failures.

great pic ,is it me or the sub doesn't have his gun yet? also the coning tower look weird (although this was a thing for a lot of italian submarine)
Ettore%2BFieramosca%2B%2528Giuseppe%2BPeluso-Betasom%2529.jpg