• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

English Electric Canberra B.Mk.5 Question

Hood

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
The prototype B.5, VX185, was converted from a PR.3 on the production line.

I wondered if anyone could confirm whether VX185 had the additional 14-inch section of the PR.3 or whether it was completed to the standard Canberra length?

VX185 was later converted to B(I).8 standard but the original nose section survives at East Fortune, but the aft bulkhead is ahead of where the longer ex-camera bay section would have been.
I am supposing that since VX185 became a B(I).8 that it probably was a standard bomber fuselage - but I'm just guessing here.

nuuumannn

Cannae be ar*ed changing my personal text
Reaction score
I am supposing that since VX185 became a B(I).8 that it probably was a standard bomber fuselage - but I'm just guessing here.
Having a look through what I can find in my Canberra references, I can't find dimensions for the B.5, but using my Mk.I eyeball and searching images of VX185 as it was completed (before B(I).8 conversion), it appears to match the length of a B.2.

Compare the following image with that of a PR.3. Click on the photograph of VX185 on the ebay page for a bigger one.

The section at East Fortune begins at the aft wall of the nose undercarriage bay; compare the ebay photograph of VX185 with the line on the PR.3 prototype VX181 photograph above and note the position of the engine intakes in relation to the nose gear doors.

Last edited:

yellowaster

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
The prototype B.5, VX185, was converted from a PR.3 on the production line.
I don't think that's correct. The history of the Canberra prototypes is a bit convoluted, so tricky to follow, but primary sources I've seen say VX185 (originally the tenth prototype) was originally scheduled as a T.4 (T2/49), rescheduled as a B.5 (B22/48) in mid-49.

Hood

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
I don't think that's correct. The history of the Canberra prototypes is a bit convoluted, so tricky to follow, but primary sources I've seen say VX185 (originally the tenth prototype) was originally scheduled as a T.4 (T2/49), rescheduled as a B.5 (B22/48) in mid-49.
I've seen the claim online, but I think from the information from you an nuuumann it would seem that claim is false given the fuselage length and if you've seen the original contract docs then its good enough proof for me.