Drawings of US Nuclear / Thermonuclear Bombs

XB-35

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm searching for early large thermonuclear bomb casing blueprints (factsheets with dimensioned drawings - like some published in Chuck Hansen's out-of-print book about US Nuclear Weapons).

Although there are drawings (blueprints) of the MK 1 Little boy and MK 2 Fat Man available (via National Atomic Museum store) I've never seen drawings of these early large nukes like the MK-17, MK-15, MK-36 and MK-41.

I'd like to scratchbuilt some of these nukes in 1/72 scale (they don't exist in kit form) to come with my Monogram B-36 and B-52 kits.

Are these drawings still classified today ? (although Hansen's book contains drawings of more recent weapons like the MK-61 for example).

Thanks for help !

Best Regards,

XB-35

I think I might have a few drawings of these in GIF or BMP format on my external hard drive at home. IIRC, they don't have dimensions though. I'll PM you if I find them. :)

I thought the better of it and I'll post it here if anyone else is interested. I've got BMP format drawings of the following nukes:

Mk 4
Mk 5
Mk 6
Mk 7
Mk 8
MK 11
Mk 12
Mk 14
Mk 15
Mk 16
Mk 17
Mk 18
Mk 24
Mk 28
Mk 36
Mk 39
Mk 43
Mk 53
Mk 61
Mk 83

I only have dimension information on the Mk 61, for the rest of them you'll be on your own. Let me know if you're interested in any of these.

Cheers

we are holding our breath
thanks in advance

Longshaor said:
I thought the better of it and I'll post it here if anyone else is interested. I've got BMP format drawings of the following nukes:

Mk 4
Mk 5
Mk 6
Mk 7
Mk 8
MK 11
Mk 12
Mk 14
Mk 15
Mk 16
Mk 17
Mk 18
Mk 24
Mk 28
Mk 36
Mk 39
Mk 43
Mk 53
Mk 61
Mk 83

I only have dimension information on the Mk 61, for the rest of them you'll be on your own. Let me know if you're interested in any of these.

Cheers

Are they from Chuck Hansen's book or some other source?

pometablava said:
I'll love to see it posted here :)

Well, if you've got a place to host the images I'm happy to send them to you.

sferrin said:
Are they from Chuck Hansen's book or some other source?

I found these years ago when I was looking for drawings of a Mk 17 hydrogen bomb for a B-36 & the Tarzon bomb for a B-29. These aren't great images, they're colour bitmap files, but they're the only drawings I've ever found US nukes.

Cheers

PS - I almost forgot. To answer XB-35's original question, my suspicion is that actual construction drawings for the casings are still classified. After the terrorist attack on 11 September 2001, the US government has gotten really twitchy about declassifying anything relating to nuclear weapons or equipment for carring/launching them. A couple of years ago the Historic Naval Ships Association (which is a private entity but has much of their on-line content provided by the US Navy) had a set of official USN drawings of a Tang class sub pulled for "declassification review". These were boats that entered service in the early 1950s. The drawings have since been re-posted, but from what I've heard in the model ship building community, this wasn't an isolated event.

Can't say if your images are from Hansen's book until I've seen 'em.

Although the book is outa print, it's still published on CD. I have a copy of the first disc edition. Access can be arranged to interested parties. Use http://nuclear-weapons.info email facility. Considering shelling out for the second edition that allegedly includes updates on UK weapons.

A host for your drawings can be provided at http://nuclear-weapons.info/images

Happy to oblige.

Oooops! now u kno ooo this is.

I think my school may still have a copy of Hansen's book. I'll bet you anything it's gone though. Last time I checked it out was 93 when I was in high shool

B57-gen-arr.jpg

B57-hardpoints.jpg

Should be good enough for modelling purposes. The two noses shown are interchangeable in-the-field. One was used in the airburst mode, the other in the NDB mode.

Dimensioned drawings of the B57. Believed to come from Hansen. Don't know where he got them from. Identical to the two examples in the RAF Museum Hendon, London.

"the images are drawn in MS Paint, not official at all."

In fact, the drawings are almost cartoonish...more suggestive of the weapon's appearance, rather than a properly scaled drawing.

It also describes the Mk83 as a 'high yield strategic bomb' then lists a 1.2 kiloton max yield, though I suspect it's a typo. Either way, it's a bit dodgy.

looking forward to seeing this in an upcoming APR. Scott, definately of interest to more than a few on here methinks. whats the second weapon depicted from the left with the long thin casing? i have seen note of a longer bodied 'Little Boy' of approx double length, is that the intended design ?

cheers, Joe

TsrJoe said:
looking forward to seeing this in an upcoming APR.

It's not really APR material, per se.

whats the second weapon depicted from the left with the long thin casing? i have seen note of a longer bodied 'Little Boy' of approx double length, is that the intended design ?

Yep. Based on a few photos of Mk II bomb casings that were built, but never completed.

Michel Van said:
xmotex said:
What's the yield on that Tactical Nuclear Cat?

Under NATO classifications: COSMIC TOP SECRET - A

Sub-kilton range Enhanced Radiation Weapon. For deployment behind enemy lines/overrun territory.

Gents:

Been a long time lurker. Here's my product line as noted in the dislcaimer all information used to develop these models is from open unclassified sources. I'm looking for a caster at the moment to produce more product and restock the line. FWIW the masters were created using a solids modeling program and stereo lithography.

http://www.millcreekconsultants.com/SR-N1.html

Mark

Interesting model weapons there, pity they're nearly all sold out.

I have a copy of Hansen's book on US nukes, the original drawings look like they are from it; in work now and have not read the book in a long time, will have to check.

Chuck Hansen managed to complete and publish the 2nd edition of his excellent CD-ROM "Swords of Armageddon" before he sadly died in March 2003.

Anyway as for drawings:

These five pages are from a heavy redacted AEC file on the test-devices tested in operations NOUGAT and DOMINIC I and the last three pages show partially-redacted diagrams of the Mk-15, Mk-39 and Mk-36 casings modified as drop-vehicles for test-devices (Shortly before operation DOMINIC hundreds of Mk-15, Mk-36 and Mk-36 H-bombs had been retired):

Attachments

• DominicDrop Cases 2.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 59
  • Defense Atomic Support Agency Nuclear Test Summary NOUGART - DOMINIC. Sanitized.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 39

Attachments

• Aircraft Modification for the Mk 17 and the Mk 24 Atomic Bombs.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • Parachute-Retardation Studies for New Class B Weapon.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • Static Test of Model Cylinders for Class %22A%22 Weapon.pdf
    6.3 MB · Views: 43
  • Dynamic Correlation Tests of the Carrie Model in the Sandia Transonic Wind Tunnel.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Found it!

The images came from weapons page at Strategic-Air-Command.com, here's the link

http://www.strategic-air-command.com/weapons/nuclear_bomb_chart.htm

Hope this helps.
Unfortunately these drawings on this page are completely wrong !
I'll say!

Here is the history of early thermonuclear bombs (Unfortunately it's partially redacted:mad:):

History of the Early Thermonuclear weapons 1967 Mks 14 15 16 17 24 29
History of the early thermonuclear weapons version 2

I would attached the PDF files however they're too big.

Here are some declassified files concerning the Mk-14/17/21/24 that include drawings.

Edit: I'm providing the URLs to the two below files as they're too large to attach:

Results of Wind-Tunnel Tests of the Second Series of Aerodynamic Shapes Proposed For Use As a Short-7 Weapon
Transonic Wind-Tunnel Test of the Sandia 1.656-Inch Dynamic Model

Even if you attach docs to forum, its useful to put the source URL.
URLs have been added.

Last edited:
Found it!

The images came from weapons page at Strategic-Air-Command.com, here's the link

http://www.strategic-air-command.com/weapons/nuclear_bomb_chart.htm

Hope this helps.
Unfortunately these drawings on this page are completely wrong !
I'll say!

Here is the history of early thermonuclear bombs (Unfortunately it's partially redacted:mad:):

History of the Early Thermonuclear weapons 1967 Mks 14 15 16 17 24 29
History of the early thermonuclear weapons version 2

I would attached the PDF files however they're too big.
Sadly, almost all pictures are censored. I can understand censorship for internal mechanisms, but not for casing external details...

Mk 4
Mk 5
Mk 6
Mk 7
Mk 8
MK 11
Mk 12
Mk 14
Mk 15
Mk 16
Mk 17
Mk 18
Mk 24
Mk 28
Mk 36
Mk 39
Mk 43
Mk 53
Mk 61
Mk 83

Cheers
Hi, I would be interested by these drawings, however, what is the BMP fomat ?

I can understand censorship for internal mechanisms
That censorship is over the top while they show the layout of the warhead's internal components they are engineering drawings (The sort you use for manufacture) and they're obsolete. All countries that have thermonuclear warheads developed them independently with no outside help.

For those interested by Bomb models in 1/72, there are some available from Black Dog in resin like this one

Attachments

• a72036_002.jpg
    a72036_002.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 98
Back
Top Bottom