Boeing X-20 Dyna-Soar and alternate projects

In 1960-1961 Wright Patterson AFB and Lear were developing an Orbital Bomber cockpit layout and instrumentation systems for a spacecraft that was reminiscent of a two seat Dyna Soar. Designers at Lear were told that a Classified orbital vehicle was under design and that the instrumentation would be considered for the design. I'm not sure, but this may have been the Dyna-Mows (Manned Orbital Weapon System) cockpit. Can anyone verify that this cockpit was affiliated with Dyna Soar or if the Orbital Bomber was a stand alone cockpit study and concept? AWST identified the cockpit as the Mark IV layout study for WPAFB, however the Orbital Bomber Cockpit photo on the left appears to be a more refined design.

Attachments

• Orbital Bmbr Cockpit.jpg
    Orbital Bmbr Cockpit.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Orbital Bmbr Instruments.jpg
    Orbital Bmbr Instruments.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 158
  • Mark IV Orbital Bmbr.jpg
    Mark IV Orbital Bmbr.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
After further reading it appears that the Mark IV Orbital Bomber cockpit layout preceded Dyna Soar by a year or so and that the Lear Mark IV instruments would end up in the Dyna Soar cockpit design. The classified Boeing vehicle that the engineers were made privy to was likely the Dyna Soar. Still no Dyna-MOWS or Dyna Soar II or III cockpit layout.

Hi can anyone help me with finding information on the 814-2014 dyna-soar I think it was a smaller version I am looking for a 3 view Thanks

Hi can anyone help me with finding information on the 814-2014 dyna-soar I think it was a smaller version I am looking for a 3 view Thanks
You can ask my dear Orionblamblam (Scott),maybe he has it ?.

Nugo, I've noticed that in your various posts, you use the "?" to indicate a missing figure in your designations. However, this is misleading because it could indicate a designation you're not sure about.
For example, when you write "Lockheed Model CL-4??" my first impression is that you are questioning the fact that it was called Model CL-4... when in fact you simply want to indicate the fact that the missing designation was in the 400 to 499 range...

[pedantry]
It's a (fairly) common way of denoting a single character wildcard - i.e. "??" denotes two unknown characters (integers in this case though, so '#' might be a better choice) and so "4??" restricts the range to 400 - 499.
"*" denotes any number of unknown characters (the second "*" therefore being redundant) so '4*' could mean anywhere from 4 - ∞.
[/pedantry]

May I suggest you replace the question marks by asterisks as follows:

Boeing/Vought Model 844/Vought Model 4**
Convair Model **
Douglas Model 1***
Lockheed Model CL-4**
Martin/Bell Model 3**/Bell Model D-1** or D-2**
McDonnell Model 1**
North American X-15B (Model ***)
Northrop Model 1** or Model 2**
Republic Model AP-**

The McDonnell model number is as follows (transcribed from the MCD model numbers PDF found on this site) :

Model No.Series LetterCustomerType DesignationDescriptionDate No. AssignedJob Order
132AUSAF (IFGMP 1-3-58)Aerial Test VehicleConceptual Test Vehicle for DYNA SOAR I Program, Boost-Glide type Single-place, Low Wing, Span: (S), Length: (S), Inertial Navigation System, Automatic & Manual Flight Control System, Landing Skids & Parachute System, Provisions for different equipment configuations.
Mod. Atlas Booster Solid-Prop. Rockets Bristol-Orpheus, Turbo-Jet
(McDonnell Report 6006)
2-18-586010-002
B"Aerial Manned VehicleAerial Manned Vehicle for DYNA SOAR II Program, Boost-Glide type, Single Place (Two-Place Alternate Arrangement), Low Wing, Span: (S), Length: (S), Inertial Navigation System, Automatic & Manual Flight Control System, Landing Skids. Provision for Reconnaissance, Bomber, or Reconnaissance-Bomber Mission Equipment.
Mod. Atlas Booster, Altered Navaho Boosters, Solid-Prop. Low Wing Rockets
(McDonnell Report 6006)
""
C"Aerial Manned VehicleAerial Manned Vehicle for DYNA SOAR III Program, Boost-Glide type, Single Place (Two-Place Alternate Arrangement), Low Wing
Span: (S), Length: (S), Inertial Navigation System, Automatic & Manual Flight Control System, Landing Skids. Provision for Improved Reconnaissance, Bomber, or Reconnaissance-Bomber Mission Equipment.
Mod. Atlas Booster "C" Boosters Solid-Prop. Rockets
(McDonnell Report 6006)
""

What was X-20X ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    320.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 2.png
    2.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 160
I found this on the Facebook page "Vault of The Atomic Space Age". Does anyone know if this was an actual Dyna-Soar proposal. And if so, from which company? The comments didn't yield any clues and Google image search wasn't of much help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230409_080209_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230409_080209_Gallery.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 129
I found this on the Facebook page "Vault of The Atomic Space Age". Does anyone know if this was an actual Dyna-Soar proposal. And if so, from which company? The comments didn't yield any clues and Google image search wasn't of much help.
i think it may be SLOMAR
northrop-norair-n-256-01-jpg.174498

...interesting item in a case at the Vought Retired Employees archives.

This was not a high-speed model as it appeared to have been made with blown plastic. This is only the nose section of a larger model. (No. I did not see the rest of the model.) I have no information of the model number. Additional pictures may follow later.
Probably related:

LTV Dynasoar Initial Escape Capsule.jpg
from Hearings, Reports and Prints of the House Committee on Science and Astronautics, 1967

LTV personnel have been actively associated with the development and application of air and space crew safety escape and rescue equipment for more than 20 years. This background of experience covers the early application of ejection seats to naval aircraft. It includes the pioneering development of a pilot escape capsule for the Navy, figure 1, and orientation of the initial escape capsule for the Boeing Dyna-Soar team, figure 2. This latter effort included complete responsibility for the first 200" of the Dyna-Soar glider including the integrated pilot control compartment and crew escape module. This program provided early experience in integrating normal and emergency life support and spacecraft control and display equipment to insure redundant capability by multiple functional use of system elements.​

Able, Transtage, Delta, Apollo, Shuttle-OMS and Orion all used the same engine: Aerojet AJ10.
What is remarquable is Rocketdyne AR-2: the engine in the NF-104A. Seems the X-37B was to use it, and also... DynaSoar: for air launch powered drops from a NB-52.

Check pdf 10301865, page 13.

Attached: a whole bunch of tech papers related to DynaSoar, 1960-63.

Attachments

• 19720063141.pdf
    554.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 19720063137.pdf
    570.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 19720063132.pdf
    247.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 19720006625.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 10301866.pdf
    591.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 19720063747.pdf
    11.7 MB · Views: 18
  • a2ae8c5788e2a626de37cbe1a0c193a7e8ef.pdf
    822.3 KB · Views: 18
  • AD0756853.pdf
    10.4 MB · Views: 21
  • ADA951932.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • 10301865.pdf
    491.5 KB · Views: 21
It wasn't the same engine. They were "based" on the AJ-10. Like S-IVB was based on the S-IV stage or 737 family

Dyna Soar was going to use an SRM for airlaunch.

It wasn't the same engine. They were "based" on the AJ-10. Like S-IVB was based on the S-IV stage or 737 family

Dyna Soar was going to use an SRM for airlaunch.

Check pdf 10301865, page 13.

Attached picture, taken from p.378 from Robert Godwin Dyna-Soar book. Says AR-1, document attached says AR-2. DynaSoar book mentions the change to solid late 1960. The document dates from April 1960, so before the change.

Wikipedia (for what's it worth) says AR-1 and AR-2 were related.

Attachments

• 20231128_180212.jpg
    20231128_180212.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 44
  • Capture d'écran 2023-11-28 180840.png
    Capture d'écran 2023-11-28 180840.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Before 1961 and the switch to orbital and Titan III, DynaSoar was to ride a Titan II from the Atlantic Missile Range.

I presume it would have launched from one of the three Titan II pads there : LC-15, LC-16 or LC-19 ? Any clue ?

Before 1961 and the switch to orbital and Titan III, DynaSoar was to ride a Titan II from the Atlantic Missile Range.

I presume it would have launched from one of the three Titan II pads there : LC-15, LC-16 or LC-19 ? Any clue ?
LC-33

LC-33 at the top of the CCAS/AMR diagram.

Attachments

• diagram-description-automatically-generated-4.jpeg
    diagram-description-automatically-generated-4.jpeg
    360.8 KB · Views: 51
Thank you ! Interesting. Seems it was close from the spot where they eventually build I-T-L: pad 40 & 41 for Titan III.
@Dynoman - where did you got that ?

Last edited:
ltv-dynasoar-initial-escape-capsule-jpg.699920

Boeing proposed to use the Dyna Soar Cockpit module in 1962
for flyback S-IC booster (Model 922-12) that return to launch site with Pilot help
in case of problem the pilot separate the Module from Wing S-IC stage

v1n2ad5.gif

Source:
Aerospace Projects Volume 1, Number 2
Page 3 to 15 by Scott Lowther.

Last edited:
And they had a good argument for that: ASSET, which was a small-scale DynaSoar nose shape.

Attachments

• 19740077029_1974077029.pdf
    13.8 MB · Views: 35