hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
My dears,

we know for GEBO program,Martin submitted the MX-2092 project,
a twin engined jet bomber for cruise missile carry long range
bomber,with tip wing engines and Douglas submitted the MX-2091
project also a twin engined jet bomber to the same program,and
the engines was mounted under the wings.

do you have the Douglas design number to this project?,
and a 3-View to it?please.

Re: Douglas MX-2091

hesham said:

Why... yes, yes I do. And it's one of the designs to be shown in "US Bomber Projects Preview."

Note: the full book will have about a dozen variations on the MX-2091... three engines, four engines, delta wings, canards...

Thanks you for presenting this opportunity for blatant self-promotion...

Thanks Orion,

But what was the Douglas Model ?. (D----?)

Attachments

• Douglas MX2091.jpg
    Douglas MX2091.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,304

Factory model of Douglas MX-2091, allegedly in its final configuration. No suffix letter on this one, but I know someone who probably has the answer.

Attachments

• Douglas MX-2091sml.jpg
    Douglas MX-2091sml.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,285

circle-5 said:
but I know someone who probably has the answer.

I also know someone who could probably answer that. He's kind of a dick, but he has the full range of designs on this. Sadly, he's travelling, and far away from his archive, the dirty bastich...

source

Title: Studies in Radar Cross-Sections -- XII. Summary of radar cross-section studies under project MIRO
Authors: Siegel, Keeve Milton
Anderson, M. E.
Bonkowski, R. R.
Orthwein, W. C.
Issue Date: Dec-1953

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/2027.42/21142/2/rl2017.0001.001.pdf

Attachments

• Douglas MX-2091.jpg
    Douglas MX-2091.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,097

I've attempted to compare the MX-2091 three-view plan as depicted by the University of Michigan's Willow Run Center in Studies in Radar Cross-Sections - XII (December 1953) and by Scott Lowther (Orionblamblam). On the whole the two are remarkably similar, but you'll notice minute differences, most notably in the cockpit's windows arrangement.

Attachments

• MX-2091 comparison.gif
    MX-2091 comparison.gif
    82.9 KB · Views: 931

Stargazer2006 said:
you'll notice minute differences, most notably in the cockpit's windows arrangement.

The Douglas drawings do in fact depict an asymmetric window arrangement. I have three-views of a bunch of MX-2091 variants (straight wings, delta, canards, etc.) but I *don't* have a drawing of the "bubble canopy" version depicted in the sketch way up-thread.

Note: not much is ever actually said about the MX-2091 and MX-2092 programs. I don't have much of *anything* on the MX-2092, but the MX-2091 reports date from April of 1953. By this point the B-58 program (MX-1964) was well underway, and being subsonic designs the 2091&2092 wouldn't seem to have provided much in the way of direct competition. In fact, the MX-2091 was designed to be, in a way, a stealth bomber. Instead of blasting into enemy territory high and fast, hoping to outrun air defenses, the 2091 (and presumably 2092) was designed to transit enemy territory at below 1000 feet altitude. Hugging the terrain at high subsonic speeds it was hoped that the plane would go un-noticed until the target came within range of its large missle.

Regrettably gents I missed this topic and the fantastic drawings and model of the MX-2091 :eek:

Great work gents!!!

Regards
Pioneer

Hi!

This Douglas project looks very clean - and reminds me both A3D and B-66

Could anyone to be so kind, to explain meaning of the term "Generalized" in this particular case?
What's background to the requirements of this designs?

Thanks in advance

It looks very much like lipstick on a Whale, yes. ;)

What do we know about the ordinance? I'd say Skybolt, but it seems too early for that.

hesham said:
My dears,

we know for GEBO program,Martin submitted the MX-2092 project,
a twin engined jet bomber for cruise missile carry long range
bomber,with tip wing engines and Douglas submitted the MX-2091
project also a twin engined jet bomber to the same program,and
the engines was mounted under the wings.

Hey Hesham,
I am new to this forum , and also I am not quite sure this is what you are looking for.. but do check this page, you may find something,!
http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/mx/2000-2499.html

Regards,

~AK

Thank you Ardavan,

and I had an artist drawing and all info about it already,from a book spoke about Convair B-58,
discussed the Douglas MX-2091 GEBO,but I didn't have a 3-view to it.