Maury Markowitz

From the Great White North!
Reaction score
I'm putting together an article on the Wireless Set No. 10, which deserves to be MUCH better known - it was the first TDM and PCM comms system in the world. Sadly there is very little info on it, but I know that "Wireless for the Warrior" had a relatively detailed description including post-war development. Does anyone have a copy?

Not me I'm afraid. I have however come across a image of the Wireless Set No. 10 on his website, though you quite likely will have already seen it:
1626280391272.png
Wireless Set No. 10 was a mobile radio relay system developed in about 1944. Use: Line of Communications radio relay providing 8 duplex telephone channels. Frequency band 4.4/4.8 GHz. Range 50 miles (optical). Pulse width modulation.

On a side note, there is a brief mention of it over at the Royal Signals Museum website:

The importance of the No10 set​

As the Allies moved through North West Europe, Royal Signals laid hundreds of miles of telephone and telegraph cables and made use of civilian networks wherever possible. Communications to the United Kingdom were made via a cable laid under the Channel connected to signal stations at Bayeaux and Cherbourg.

The No. 10 set made use of newly developed radar techniques to carry eight channels over any obstacles between land and line links. Numerous radio sets are on display in the Museum including the original No. 10 set.
EDIT: Found a little more on it on another part of the site:

23) No 10 Wireless Set​

WW2 UHF Multi-channel set- The precurser to BRUIN and Ptarmigan radio relay equipment
The Wireless Set Number 10 provided 8 duplex speech channels using multiplexers and pulse code modulation (PCM) which was very advanced in 1944. The antenna was a UHF parabolic reflector emitting a narrow beam of approximately 5 degrees. It was first used some weeks after D Day for a link between The Isle of Wight to Cherbourg in France. However, as many Royal Signallers, who have had to struggle with Path Profile Analysis, this link was at the limit of the set’s Fresnel Zone – Communications therefore were only intermittent. Later it was used in a tactical role to support HQ 21 Army Group. Its success was initially limited owing to the lack of working sets and a lack of 60 Feet masts – a familiar problem to all Royal Signals. However, soon the Signals Detachments managed to establish reliable radio relay chains across Europe even to Montgomery’s final headquarters on Luneburg Heath in Northern Germany. Here is a high spot between Munster and Minden, called the IBURG:

I also found elsewhere what seems to be a developmental prototype from 1943:

Last edited: