differentiating canard

rousseau

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Do you know any canards aircraft that canards are differetiating.
I mean the canard on these aircraft are all moving and moving asynchronously when it is necessary.

Just call me Ray

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I don't know if most do, but many do.

The Gripen is one example at least:

250px-Swedish_JAS-39_Gripen_landing.jpg

rousseau

Reaction score
The photo you posted just shows one side the foreplan moving down, but no shows other side is moving up.
sorry.

Just call me Ray

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they're differentiating, just no photos available (you can only get such a view with a full head-on or tail shot, after all) but at least it's all-moving.

CammNut

Reaction score
MUCH harder that I thought to find a picture showing the foreplanes at different angles. The foreplanes on Gripen, Rafale and Typhoon are differential all-moving, but normally they are aligned with the airflow or moving together for pitch control. They are powerful control surfaces and make small, quick movements - you might try watching some videos to see them move. You are most likely to see them visibly move differentially during ground flight-control checks.

BUT I did find this one of a Rafale with the port foreplane horizontal (visible behind the guy on the ladder) and the starboard one angled leading-edge up.

PS - I was always taught that "canard" is an aircraft configuration and that the things at the front are "foreplanes", not canards...

Attachments

• _DSF7664.jpg
    _DSF7664.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 65

rousseau

Reaction score
Hmmm, if someone find photo shows foreplan could all-move differentially not only synchronously, which will be very much significent!
I will talk this after it be found

LowObservable

Reaction score
I think CammNut is probably right - the reason that you never see photos of them being deflected is that, when they are, things start to happen very quickly.

rousseau

Reaction score
So, no lensman notice such moment is really important to study tech of aviation and be wonderful to aviation fans? Let's call them to do it! :D