Dietz Paraplane & His Aircraft

Hesham, thank you for very interesting photo.

I'm not sure that Mr. Eckland was right and it's C.G. Dietz's design.

Because Mr. Howard J. Dietz, the lamp manufacturer, has organized the Hempstead
Aeroplane Co. of Mill Road, Hempstead, at August 1910 (Aeronautics, № 9 1910, p. 106)

He constructed Shriver-Dietz biplane (mentioned in Aerofiles, but without initials of Dietz). This photo of this biplane is in Aeronautics № 10 1910 p. 123.

Sometimes it's written that Shriver constructed this aircraft for Dietz, but it's mistake: the Shriver was a pilot (Aeronautics № 11 1910 p. 160).

On August, 1911 Dietz Paraplane and Biplane together were parked at Nassau Boulevard aerodrome at Long Island (Aircraft, August 1911, p. 204).

The paraplane was tested at the same aerodrome on December, 1911 (Aircraft, January 1912, p. 377):

1620694627544.png

You may see, the aircraft had "emergency safe landing system" - parachute in the fuselage tube.

Also, both Shiver-Dietz and Dietz Paraplane used Kirkham engines.

And the main point. Conrad G. Dietz, the first general manager of "Aeronca", has died 13 September, 1931, at the age 32. In 1911 he was twelve years old.

So, I am quite sure that Paraplane was created not by C.G. Dietz, but H.J. Dietz

I've found direct proof that Paraplane was built by Howard J. Dietz:

"Howard Dietz, of Mill Road, Hempstead, L.I., has a monoplane over which is fitted a hollow mast containing a parachute."

Aeronautics, July 1911, p. 18

Dietz's Paraplane was alive at April 1912 and was stored at the same Nassau Boulevard aerodrome (Aircraft, May 1912, p. 89).

Last edited: