Did you draw planes as a kid ?

galgot

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
galgot.com
While cleaning a place, I found old old drawings of mine, from before my computer time.
Dates back from 1986 to 89, some are real crap, but I’ve been scanning the ones I find worth keeping.

IMG_20200424_0001.jpg

Next one heavily inspired by ADDAX-1-S, I remember having a book with some images of it :

IMG_20200424_0002.jpg IMG_20200424_0003.jpg

Canard biplane jet fighter (?!)

IMG_20200424_0004.jpg

More and more sci-fi...

IMG_20200424_0007.jpg

Banana biplane jet.

IMG_20200424_0008.jpg

Last edited:
One of the greatest frustrations in my life... unable to draw anything. Drat !

Well I don't draw much anymore. Its the problem with computers. I remember when I first got one that I could do images with, using pen and paper became very rare, and when I started 3d, then even drawing became rare :/

I used to draw aeroplanes all the time, but often derivatives. Ground attack MiG-29 derivatives, Hawker P.1121s with bubble canopy and LERX... the odd stealth fighter, lots and lots of A-10 class twin boom designs with canards and FSW... not in the same league though. I did a front quarter MiG-29 pencil sketch from a photo in art class when I was about 13 that actually looked fairly good.

Kinda Himat ?

One thing is sure: it will be pretty agile, with all the control surfaces you put on that thing ! including double canards... :cool:

Glad it can be of some interest.
I was 18 in 1986, so an old kid then :p I remember the ones I did at 13 or 14 were horrible. Still there is a ton of crap in these ones, I scan only the ones I find ok, and post the aviation related stuff.
Here four pages of an unfinished Sc/fi comic involving strange flying creatures, flying poachers hunting for dragons (?) and stuff… Plane in there is the "Raiders of The Lost Ark" flying wing, I had the VHS, I remember watching and watching again the sequence where it appears.

IMG_20200424_00_1.jpg IMG_20200424_00_2.jpg
IMG_20200424_00_3.jpg IMG_20200424_00_4.jpg

More doodling :
A 109 in bad shape
IMG_20200425_0002.jpg

This next as a fun story to it. One of the first Mi-17 (or 8 ?) delivered to the National Resistance Army, as was called the Ugandan Army of the time, that was Meseveni's guerrilla movement that had taken power in 1986. So the date is wrong on the drawing. Anyway , I was there 1986 when they did a demo over the Kampala golf course.
Could'nt take pictures, cameras not allowed and lots of NRA guys with AKs everywhere , but did this sketch as soon as I got home.

IMG_20200425_0003.jpg

Speedy float plane,

IMG_20200425_0004.jpg

Kinda racer ? Why bother with coolers if it makes the plane ugly...

IMG_20200425_0006.jpg

A Morrocan T-6 wreck. Did that one from a pict.

IMG_20200425_0007.jpg

A Hi alt reco / electronic (?!) variant of StrikeMaster, in Khemed livery. Reading too much Tintin.

IMG_20200425_0008.jpg

"Let go bomb those Aldebarians pigs"

IMG_20200425_0009.jpg

It has wings too...Must have copied a Franquin image here.

IMG_20200424_001z.jpg

Voilà. End of my scanning session.

Last edited:
Galgot,

How refreshing to see orthographic, isometric and sketch studies done by hand using the classic drafting tools and brain. You realize what a rare bird you are today?

David

Galgot,

How refreshing to see orthographic, isometric and sketch studies done by hand using the classic drafting tools and brain. You realize what a rare bird you are today?

David

Dear Sir, glad you like these, but sorry to dissapoint : these are 30 years old drawings, from before my computer disease.
I'm afraid you would be horrified to see how i'm now completely computerized, formated, numerized, one hand on the mouse , the other on the keyboard, and a USB-c SSD plugged elsewhere... Very common in fact.

Last edited:
I drew hundreds of ships, planes and tanks in my youth!
I have a few scans of my work, some were real projects, imagined stuff and what-ifs. Here is a sample, inclduing a Blue Water launcher, PT.428 and some AU East German kit among others.

Attachments

• 20200223_130535.jpg
    20200223_130535.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 154
I drew hundreds of ships, planes and tanks in my youth!
I have a few scans of my work, some were real projects, imagined stuff and what-ifs. Here is a sample, inclduing a Blue Water launcher, PT.428 and some AU East German kit among others.
These are excellent ! Did a few tanks as well.

Galgot,

David

Dear Sir, glad you like these, but sorry to dissapoint : these are 30 years old drawings, from before my computer disease.
I'm afraid you would be horrified to see how i'm now completely computerized, formated, numerized, one hand on the mouse , the other on the keyboard, and a USB-c SSD plugged elsewhere... Very common in fact.

You do not disappoint one little bit, sir. You, though long ago, did indeed walk the walk. You, were -- and are today -- an accomplished Draftsman. You paid your dues. And for that long ago study and formal training you have acquired a better understanding of perspective, foreshortening, and layout than any idiot born to the computer age. Idiots who only know how to doodle on the computer menu and mash the 'enter' key; the poor slobs who will never known the tactile, wonderous sensation of maneuvering a pencil/pen across new, receptive parchment; the use of ones hands and brain.

So many today will never experience the joy (and frustration) of laying down your own ink.

Guys like us will have useful skills if/and when the electrons stop flowing. The others will fall back into the Caves.

I applaud you, sir. A fellow Keeper of the Light.

(there, enough... now to yank my nose out of your butt before this gets really silly).

David

i draw zillons of Airplane, Rockets, Spaceships, cars since i took a pencil in hand a long, long time ago.
and i still draw them and some of them are posted in this forum

15071265380_6d7fa7e204_c.jpg

17648394951_be810e8703_c.jpg

15052905482_8593fdb033_c.jpg

15104443576_931dbc3363_c.jpg

i draw zillons of Airplane, Rockets, Spaceships, cars since i took a pencil in hand a long, long time ago.

Good ! Feel less and less alone with my doodling :)
That alien lady seems very friendly.

Possibly the best way to relax you can get. I'm pretty rubbish at freehand stuff, but technical drawing is my favourite. Working out how stuff works by drawing it is quite rewarding.

Rascal was a radio-controlled AMTRAC intened to push a 1200lb charge against beach defences . Fascinating story. Tested in Richmond Park!

Chris Rascal_A4.png

Possibly the best way to relax you can get. I'm pretty rubbish at freehand stuff, but technical drawing is my favourite. Working out how stuff works by drawing it is quite rewarding.

Rascal was a radio-controlled AMTRAC intened to push a 1200lb charge against beach defences . Fascinating story. Tested in Richmond Park!

Chris

Well done !
I've never used Freehand. Started with Illustrator 88 and kept with it... But remember before having Illustrator, doing (well, more trying...) scale plans with ClarisDraw, on a Mac LC-475.

By 'freehand' I meant with pencil and paper, not a app!

Chris

55 years of airplane doodles. Still find it a nice way to get rid of the demons of the day. Alas I too have fallen to the to the same electronic afflictions.

Attachments

• doodle.JPG
    doodle.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 133
I used to draw aircraft and cars all over my school books (note) and some of the teachers laughing at them. I had a twin engined twin tail aircraft with radar elements dispersed to different parts of the aircraft rather than just the nose. They thought it rather quaint and stupid. I might have been a bit premature with the lasers too.

Y'all got visited by the talent fairy and drew like prodigies even at an early age and I'm just sitting here, looking with disappointment at what I did when I was 6 :eek:

thumbnail_20200426_131114.jpg

I somewhat recovered by age 14, but still...I'm very envious of all of you guys. You're all extremely good at drawing, hats off!

thumbnail_20200426_131141.jpg

Y'all got visited by the talent fairy and drew like prodigies even at an early age and I'm just sitting here, looking with disappointment at what I did when I was 6 :eek:

I somewhat recovered by age 14, but still...I'm very envious of all of you guys. You're all extremely good at drawing, hats off!
At any age, Macchis are beautiful ! these certainly better than any ones I could draw at 14 .

Must have been around twelve when I created the New Ultra-SuperSonic Research Aircraft organization and began a balsa model of NUSSRA III. Soon outgrew the need for speed but I now have a box file full of sketches and over fifty years on it is still growing. Nowadays I use pen/pencil or vector graphics according to whim: pencil is great for quick variations on a theme and thinking through ideas, vector for eternally tweaking the drawing until it looks "right" and then posting it on What If Modelers. I also use bitmap for the occasional mod to an existing drawing, typically in jest.

I did doodle/ draw aircraft (I still do) but never with the talent shown above.
Just as well I didn’t think I could do it professionally....

My aircraft at 6 looked very similar to yours. And yet, now you are able to do brilliant aircraft artwork. I on the other hand can still only doodle.

This is a nice and touching thread (dunno if it's the right english word). I add mines (see in attachment). I drew them when I was between 12 and 15 I think (so that's back to 1983 and 1986). When I compare them to yours, I guess I was already attracted to mechanical design... that could explain why I became an engineer :)
Regards, Alain

Attachments

• Alain_Dessins_04.jpg
    Alain_Dessins_04.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Alain_Dessins_01.jpg
    Alain_Dessins_01.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Alain_Dessins_05.jpg
    Alain_Dessins_05.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Alain_Dessins_06.jpg
    Alain_Dessins_06.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Alain_Dessins_07.jpg
    Alain_Dessins_07.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 127
  • Alain_Dessins_10.jpg
    Alain_Dessins_10.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 134
  • Alain_Dessins_09.jpg
    Alain_Dessins_09.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 123
  • Alain_Dessins_08.jpg
    Alain_Dessins_08.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 134
While cleaning a place, I found old old drawings of mine, from before my computer time.
Dates back from 1986 to 89, some are real crap, but I’ve been scanning the ones I find worth keeping.

View attachment 631455

Next one heavily inspired by ADDAX-1-S, I remember having a book with some images of it :

View attachment 631456 View attachment 631454

Canard biplane jet fighter (?!)

View attachment 631462

More and more sci-fi...

View attachment 631463

Banana biplane jet.

View attachment 631464
Nice drawings, they inspire me! I would like to transform the last 2 into space pirates fighters!

Glad it can be of some interest.
I was 18 in 1986, so an old kid then :p I remember the ones I did at 13 or 14 were horrible. Still there is a ton of crap in these ones, I scan only the ones I find ok, and post the aviation related stuff.
Here four pages of an unfinished Sc/fi comic involving strange flying creatures, flying poachers hunting for dragons (?) and stuff… Plane in there is the "Raiders of The Lost Ark" flying wing, I had the VHS, I remember watching and watching again the sequence where it appears.

View attachment 631493 View attachment 631494
View attachment 631495 View attachment 631496
I like the last one, especially the 1st boxes on top. The way the airplane is put in perspective is really good.

Very nice too! The second one looks like a space fighter made by Juan Gimenez in his 4th Power comic book. Am I right? The last one is great, and I like the perspective. I'll try to put this one in a 3 view plans.

Indeed ! Juan Gimenez , good eyes ! One of my fav with Moebius (Jean Giraud).
He died the 2nd of April from Covid :(
Very cool drawings, these Super 747 and space shuttle are superb .

Last edited:
I am impressed but not surprised by the detail and scope of the drawings shown here.
My own jottings were confined to poor side views of aircraft and ships imitating those in Janes. TSR2 and CVA01 loomed large.
I had no skill or patience, so I never went any further. Fortunately I was able to build up a decent library of books full of decent illustrations.
I can only look on with wonder at the works here.

Thank for your memories:)

I just found this topic. Good Idea. I like in particular your comic with the plane from Indiana Jones :)

One of the greatest frustrations in my life... unable to draw anything. Drat !
Welcome aboard ;)

This is a nice and touching thread (dunno if it's the right english word). I add mines (see in attachment). I drew them when I was between 12 and 15 I think (so that's back to 1983 and 1986). When I compare them to yours, I guess I was already attracted to mechanical design... that could explain why I became an engineer :)
Regards, Alain
Your B5 bomber, in particular, is a beautiful one :)

Another Perry Rhodan fan on SP. For years my favorite science fiction series.:)

Well, I can only show the only one drawing that I kept from this time (the only one to be relatively presentable. The profile view is lacking, lost at some point in the around 45 years that have passed since). I don't remember exactly how old I was, maybe 15. It was at the beginning of my readings of Aviation magazines and Perry Rhodan. I wanted to find the most beautiful aerospace design (jets, ramjets, scramjets and rocket) for a Sci-fi universe. A lot of engines and a very tiny "cockpit", and a delta, of course ;)

Attachments

• Aerospace Dream.jpg
    Aerospace Dream.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
I am impressed but not surprised by the detail and scope of the drawings shown here.
My own jottings were confined to poor side views of aircraft and ships imitating those in Janes. TSR2 and CVA01 loomed large.
I had no skill or patience, so I never went any further. Fortunately I was able to build up a decent library of books full of decent illustrations.
I can only look on with wonder at the works here.

Same here.

Very nice too! The second one looks like a space fighter made by Juan Gimenez in his 4th Power comic book. Am I right? The last one is great, and I like the perspective. I'll try to put this one in a 3 view plans.

Indeed ! Juan Gimenez , good eyes ! One of my fav with Moebius (Jean Giraud).
He died the 2nd of April from Covid :(
Very cool drawings, these Super 747 and space shuttle are superb .

Hello,
Juan Gimenez is one of my favourite author, probably because he always did lots of detailed and cool machines (engineering stuffs again). I was sad to learn his passing from covid...
My 747 tri decker: I got inspiration from a cuttaway drawing I found on an encyclopedia. It was a simple 747 cuttaway from Air France. I decided to make it a double decker with the first class 3rd level... and I found out that Boeing indeed did a similar project! How genius am I ! ;) I should have proposed a patent !!! Here it is in attachment.

Attachments

• B-747_01.jpg
    B-747_01.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 76
  • B-747_02.jpg
    B-747_02.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 79