Define this box

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: USAP
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
I need to know how big this box is. It's from the 1950's, American, modified to carry a display model. It might be specially made, or might might be an off the shelf item. If the latter, it's just barely possible that someone has one, has seen one, knows of one... anything. Alternatively, the 3-digit combination lock latches should probably be off the shelf items, and if they are findable and measurable a rough estimate of the size of the box could be made.

I'm offering rewards for information.

box.jpg

I need to know how big this box is. It's from the 1950's, American, modified to carry a display model. It might be specially made, or might might be an off the shelf item. If the latter, it's just barely possible that someone has one, has seen one, knows of one... anything. Alternatively, the 3-digit combination lock latches should probably be off the shelf items, and if they are findable and measurable a rough estimate of the size of the box could be made.
Can you scale this off the handle - I'm presuming brief case handles are much the same, so suitable for producing a rough estimate?

Last edited:
I've had just a quick look, but seeing from the site that TomS posted most of the locks are standard, I decided to measure the distance from the first to the third dial and got something close to 2,1 cm/0,83 inches.
My assumption is that the locks might differ slightly from one another but the dials may be constant on any of them.
If my estimates are correct (which is a big if...), by using a virtual ruler based on this assumption to measure the rest of the suitcase I get something like 75,5 cm/29,72 inches. I would personally lean towards a clean 30 inches, since this is made by a US manufacturer (yep, I know what's in the box ;)).
I don't have much of an idea about the height or depth though, we would have to compensate for the perspective distortion.

Reverse image search kinda gives away the contents. It's been posted to this forum 13-odd years ago.

It does seem that those locks are fairly standard in size. I found a site with a bunch of replacement locks from various manufacturers and the width seems pretty stable around 63-65mm (2.5 inches).

A lot of the locks there had a standard 57mm distance across the holes for the mounting nails/screws/bolts/rivets/whatever. As 57mm is damned close to 2 1/4", I assumed that's what was intended for the vintage locks, and based my measurements from those. Using 2 1/4" as a baseline, I got a length of the case of right at 23.9", which seems reasonable enough.

Last edited:
Assumption that handgrip is Standart 10 cm wide for a suitcase (like the Locks)
is Box around 25 inch (65 cm) long
sadly do the angle of photo i can't give estimation on high and width.

If you have a better image of the model on the stand the scale is listed on the base, between the designator and the manufacturer. Or is the problem that it remains illegible, making an estimate of actual dimensions problematic?

If you have a better image of the model on the stand the scale is listed on the base, between the designator and the manufacturer. Or is the problem that it remains illegible, making an estimate of actual dimensions problematic?
The scale (1/80) is clear enough... but 80 times *what*? I gots ta know how big the model is to calculate the size of the aircraft, and figuring off the box seems the best way. I've done so and have a tentative size for it to go with the diagrams I created from the wind tunnel model photos. The results look good, but will never have a Source Grade of better than 2.