DB 601 Powered Fiat G-50

Mustang1957

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
As a Big Fan Of WWII Italian Fighters,When a Book On The Subject Comes Along,I Try To Buy It. I Just Bought a Book On The Fiat G-55 From Amazon And In The Early Years Section,I Notice a Small Pic Of a G-50 Mounting a DB 601 Engine.The Caption Say's It Was a Late War Option,That's It.I Checked This Site And Web,But Found Nothing.Anyone Know Of Anything On This? Thx, Dale :)

Hello Dale.
Could you tell me which book you bought? Always thought they produced some beautiful looking fighters.
Ifor

From 'The FIAT fighters 1930-1945' by Piero Vergnano, Intyrama (Intersales) 1969
G 50 V

At the start of 1940, when it became clear that the brilliant DB601 in-line engine could also be made available in Italy, various Italian companies, which up to that time had used only radial engines for their fighters, began planning to adopt the new power unit.
FIAT also took into serious consideration the possibilities afforded by the DB 601; in fact first calculations showed that the G 50, with the use of this engine, would have seen its top speed raised by about 100 km/h. In summer 1940 FIAT proceeded to investigate the proposition; the wing remained unchanged - that of the G 50 bis - but fuselage and tailplanes were completely redesigned.
The mock-up began to take shape at the end of the year. The part which had to have most time devoted to it related to the cooling system, since the perfecting of the radiator, so that small frontal section would not be at the expense of good cooling power, weighed heavily on the overall performance.
The G 50 V prototype (MM 479) was completed in summer 1941 in the CMASA's workshops, and at the start of August was moved to Aeritalia's air-strip. Here, with Lt. Col. Guerra, CMASA's chief test pilot, at the controls, it embarked on tests on the 25th of August.
The fitting out flights of the aircraft went on for a period of months; during this phase it touched 580 km/h in level flight, taking 5 min 30 sec to climb to 6,000 metres.
Since with the arrival, which was pending, of the DB 605, it would be possible to finish the G 55's prototype (considerably more promising by way of characteristics) it was decided to waive all development of the G 50 V, making use of it exclusively for certain experimental flights in perfection of specific fittings.

Code:
Wing span       11 m
Length          8.66m
Height          2.60m
Wing area       18.25 sq.m
Empty weight    2,336 kg
Loaded weight   2,900 kg
Max speed       580 km/h
Climb to 6,000 m in 5 min 30 sec
Service ceiling 10,500 m
Range           1,250 km
Photo from 'FIAT fighters', line-drawn side views from 'War planes of the second world war - Volume II - Fighters' by William Green, Macdonald 1961

Attachments

• Fiat G50v.JPG
    Fiat G50v.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 603
  • Fiat G50 variants.JPG
    Fiat G50 variants.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 620
Thanks Guys For The Info And Drawings.It's What I Was Looking For. B) The Book Is Fiat G.55 Centauro By Maurizio Di Terlizzi.It Has Italian And English Text.I Bought From Amazon.com [US]

Are there any reliable figures available for the performance increase differential attributable to the extra power provided..
..via the D-B mill.. VS the aerodynamic clean-up of the airframe itself?

I Think The G50 V Was Able To Attain 350mph,But Was Not Put In Production Because They Had The Macchi MC202 Already. Cheers, Dale

Mustang1957 said:
I Think The G50 V Was Able To Attain 350mph...
Vergnano' s claimed 580 km/h translates to ~ 360 mph.
Mustang1957 said:
But Was Not Put In Production Because They Had The Macchi MC202 Already. Cheers, Dale
Macchi C.202, DB 601, first flight 10 August 1940
FIAT G.50v, DB 601, first flight 25 August 1941
Macchi C.205, DB 605, first flight 19 April 1942
FIAT G.55, DB 605, first flight 30 April 1942

The G.50v was a bit late to the party.

Mustang1957 said:
Don't Forget The Reggiane Re 2005. Considered By Some The Best Of All B)
...and its predecessor, the DB601-powered Re.2001. Forgot about both of them.

William Green mentions the G.50v's production version, which he says was to be the G.52. According to Green, it was abandoned because the G.55 was already in development. Green says the G.52 was also to have a variant with a never-built FIAT A.75 R.C.53 (?) engine.
Wiki instead says the G.51 was the G.50v's production version, with the G.52 supposed to use only a FIAT A.75 R.C.53 engine. At this point, Green and Wiki have long strayed into territories not familiar to me.

I'm assuming from the above that the Reggiane 2005 was considered the best Italian fighter? How did the later fighters compare with the contemporary German and allied aircraft? Are there any books etc, comparing them.
Ifor

Ifor,According To Wiki, The Reggiane 2005 Was Supperior To Both The Bf-109 And FW-190.The Germans Loved It And Wanted Italy To Build It For Them. The "In Action" Series From Squadron Has Books On Reggiane Fighters And The Macchi MC202/205. Neither Are In depth,But Have Nice Color Profiles. Cheers,Dale :) B)

From what I've been able to find out wasn't Fiat 56 apparently comparable to the TA152 and the FW190 D9? Didn't they fit the DB603 to Fiat 56.
What about other Italian prototype fighters like SM91, CV F6MZ and P119, is there any decent info on them?
Appreciated Dale.

If or, I Think You Right About The Comparisons.I Heard The Germans Used It Mainly.Sorry,But I Don't Know Too Much About The Others. Dale

Oops, My Bad :-[ There Were Only Two G56 Prototypes Built. It Was The G55 The Germans Used,lol

Out of interest's sake, a couple of images of the G.55 at the Italian Air Force Museum on the shore of Lake Bracchiano. It's a rather attractive fighter and beats the Macchis in the looks department, despite them being attractive in their own right.

Attachments

• G.55 nose.jpg
    G.55 nose.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 100
  • G.55.jpg
    G.55.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 89