EMD AIDA Radar Family

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a photo or drawing of the Aida fire control/navigational radar, standard
equipment for the Etendard IVM, tested on the Mystere IVN and AFAIK intended for
the SO.4050 Trident II, too. I would need no circuit diagrams, a view of the components,
especially the antenna would be absolutely sufficient.
(photo from http://flickr.com/photos/25094233@N00/63778437)

Attachments

• IVM.jpg
    IVM.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 97
Or perhaps someone has a cut-away of a the Etendard IVM, or maybe of the Mirage 5
or even Mirage F1 AZ, which were fitted with variants of the Aida radar, too ? I don't
need many details, just a very general overview, especially of dish size and pattern.

I have a question about about AIDA family. As far as I understand but correct me if 'm wrong.
AIDA was a derivate from ALADIN. And was a just rangefinder despite what some "sources" say. With Super AIDA, which never got of the ground. Was supposed to have had a air-to-air mode.

AIDA 2 has apparently air-to-air and air-to-ground. Is there some decent source to back that up ?

Aida II interception radar
AIDAII.jpg
This miniature lightweight system is designed for light interceptors and aircraft with restricted accommodation in the nose. It can also be installed in pods for under-wing mounting as seen in some versions of the Dassault Mirage V. The system automatically searches for, acquires and provides ranges of air or sea targets within a cone of 18°. The antenna is fixed and the pilot points the aircraft in the direction of the target. Used in conjunction with a gyroscopic gunsight it supplies all the information for interception and attack with guns, rockets, bombs or missiles. The operating frequency lies in the I to J band and the transmitter power is between 80 and 100 kW.

Janes Avionics 1987-88 P20