DARPA / GA-ASI LONGSHOT Missile Carrying Drone

Just like mine laying?
A stealthy Raider (VLO) will penetrate the airspace in advance of a strike package releasing Longshots that will glide around until a target is detected.

While that would be a possible use, I think the primary aim is to give a bomber a SEAD/DEAD capability, especially against airborne threats and targets of opportunity.

Wouldn't that be what cruise missiles do?

I think SiAW would have more than enough range for that.

While that would be a possible use, I think the primary aim is to give a bomber a SEAD/DEAD capability, especially against airborne threats and targets of opportunity.

Could see that being a secondary role, but that would be wasting expensive AAMs. Maybe they'll get down the price to where its affordable to, but I doubt it.

IMHO, members are overthinking here.

The whole concept sounds like a very reasonable weapon system for 4th gen FbW platforms (i.e. ones able to fly with asymmetric heavy loads), keeping them competitive with penetrating 5th gen fighters.
I.e. offensive weapon for F-15EX and F-18E/F.

It might make more sense to have a missile carry a drone. Stratolaunch or something fires a modern skybolt...and on slowing a small short-range drone continues to target with some loiter time. A Stratolaunch cubesat as its partner? We think of rockets as munitions, rather than rides.

General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI) is pleased to continue supporting the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) LongShot program.
After a successful Preliminary Design Review (PDR) in February 2022 at the end of Phase 1, GA-ASI was selected by DARPA to continue into Phase 2 in March 2022.
Critical Design Review (CDR) for the program is planned for early 2023, which will complete the Phase 2 portion of the program.
Upcoming Phase 2 ground tests will demonstrate the viability of key subsystems. Phase 3 would initiate the prototype manufacturing and flight testing phase of the program. Flight testing would begin in 2024.

Attachments

• ContinuesLongShotSupport.jpg
    ContinuesLongShotSupport.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 174
General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI) is pleased to continue supporting the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) LongShot program.
After a successful Preliminary Design Review (PDR) in February 2022 at the end of Phase 1, GA-ASI was selected by DARPA to continue into Phase 2 in March 2022.
Critical Design Review (CDR) for the program is planned for early 2023, which will complete the Phase 2 portion of the program.
Upcoming Phase 2 ground tests will demonstrate the viability of key subsystems. Phase 3 would initiate the prototype manufacturing and flight testing phase of the program. Flight testing would begin in 2024.
Northrop shaping techniques (example, Tacit Blue) ahead of its time, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery which includes flying wing shaping, Northrop had it right for a very long time.

Looks to be about the size of the 5000lb bunker buster or an ALCM, twice the length of that AMRAAM, pushing 24ft long.

Not a lot of aircraft can carry something that big, which limits the aircraft that we would be considering. F-15E/EX, B-52, and B-1.

Does someone know what's the weight of the equipment necessary for ejection vs. rail-launch of AMRAAM?

Probably for an ICE driving a small span enclosed fan.

Which means exactly what it is supposed to be: Longshot is a range extender. It does not accelerate post launch.

Notice that it has a recovery mode: see how far aft the VG wing is set to adapt to the huge change in CG once missile start to be expanded.
Notice that this is exactly how we supposed it would be architectured as early as when the RFI was shared on DARPA website. ;)

Very interesting aero configuration indeed.

Last edited:
Has there been any indication as to what AIM would be used? Do they intend this to carry full sized AIM-120/260s or something new and smaller in the CUDA/Peregrin size?

Has there been any indication as to what AIM would be used? Do they intend this to carry full sized AIM-120/260s or something new and smaller in the CUDA/Peregrin size?
Concept art has looked like AIM120 sized items.

ga-asi-poised-begin-longshot-flight-testing.jpg

So, if a B-52 released drone downs enough fighters, do their pilots get to be aces?

Ack! …ghost of Chuck Yeager crushing my windpipe… I didn’t mean it….~

Attachments

• F6jK0JiWMAAzGS1.jpeg
    F6jK0JiWMAAzGS1.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 73
  • F5vwtdWaoAAzMfE.jpeg
    F5vwtdWaoAAzMfE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 73
  • F5vxArBaoAAgoFX.jpeg
    F5vxArBaoAAgoFX.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 83
Interesting that two of those renderings seem to quite intentionally depict what looks like an upward facing (presumably satellite) antennae.

So, if a B-52 released drone downs enough fighters, do their pilots get to be aces?

Ack! …ghost of Chuck Yeager crushing my windpipe… I didn’t mean it….~
Back when the USAF flew F-4s, the pilot and the back seater both got credit for kills. So I'd expect the entire flight crew to get credit for AA kills for a Megafortress.

does anyone have the DARPA BAA? that ought to contain the threshold and goal performance (endurance, range, payload, etc.)

Sadly, the details of the BAA were not disclosed to the public: "All key details of the award, including quantities, timelines or scope of work, are not disclosed in the notice."

However, DARPA did characterize at least a portion of the program as:
"LONGSHOT will utilize multiple propulsion modes to optimize long-range air-to-air weapons employment."
"The contract aims to advance DARPA's research into hybrid propulsion technologies for military aviation through the LONGSHOT demonstration."

Which to me sounds like the UAV is a "range extender" for the missile.

Northrop, Lockheed, and General Atomics all got contracts for Longshot, with General Atomics proceeding all the way to Phase 3. Interestingly enough, there is now a set of subcontracts for parachutes for Longshot , probably to recover the vehicle.

Hybrid propulsion implies that this is not merely a turbojet/fan equipped carrier with an AAM like I had assumed.

Hybrid propulsion implies that this is not merely a turbojet/fan equipped carrier with an AAM like I had assumed.

I believe that IS the “hybrid”. By making a weapon that is a turbofan powered UAV AND a rocket powered missile, the system as a whole is a “hybrid”.