DARPA LONGSHOT Missile Carrying Drone

stealthflanker

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Interesting. The whole thing assuming AMRAAM is there would be about 5.4 meter and wingspan of about 2.4 meter.

The carriage tho would be external.

Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
The carriage tho would be external.
It could also be deployed from cargo planes with rear ramps, at least in theory. They are now apparently hoping have bombers to be to use it eventually, though I have to say, I have doubts about the B-21's ability to carry it in practice.

Last edited:

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Just like mine laying?
A stealthy Raider (VLO) will penetrate the airspace in advance of a strike package releasing Longshots that will glide around until a target is detected.

Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
While that would be a possible use, I think the primary aim is to give a bomber a SEAD/DEAD capability, especially against airborne threats and targets of opportunity.

trose213

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Wouldn't that be what cruise missiles do?

I think SiAW would have more than enough range for that.

While that would be a possible use, I think the primary aim is to give a bomber a SEAD/DEAD capability, especially against airborne threats and targets of opportunity.

Could see that being a secondary role, but that would be wasting expensive AAMs. Maybe they'll get down the price to where its affordable to, but I doubt it.

Ainen

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
IMHO, members are overthinking here.

The whole concept sounds like a very reasonable weapon system for 4th gen FbW platforms (i.e. ones able to fly with asymmetric heavy loads), keeping them competitive with penetrating 5th gen fighters.
I.e. offensive weapon for F-15EX and F-18E/F.

publiusr

The Anti-Proxmire
Reaction score
It might make more sense to have a missile carry a drone. Stratolaunch or something fires a modern skybolt...and on slowing a small short-range drone continues to target with some loiter time. A Stratolaunch cubesat as its partner? We think of rockets as munitions, rather than rides.