35.5 KB · Views: 298
  • forrestal preliminary 2.JPG
    forrestal preliminary 2.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 305

JohnR

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Re: CVA-59 concepts

Did the positioning of the cats; angled out to port and starboard, influence the development of the angled flight deck?

To me the layout almost suggest that a logical progression would be to create an angle flight deck to port and starboard, and have a centreline island (Furious style).

red admiral

Reaction score

JohnR said:
Did the positioning of the cats; angled out to port and starboard, influence the development of the angled flight deck?

I don't think so. The angled flight deck was invented in the RN by analysing the new take-off and landing patterns for jet aircraft. These designs and USS United States have axial decks but splayed out catapults. I think the desire was mostly to mount more catapults and there isn't more room in the bow so they got splayed out to the sides a bit.

Would a middle island and two angled decks be better? No, either you need two sets of arrestor wires to be in the same place for each landing path, or you keep the axial layout and risk the bolters running into the island. You've also got some turbulence problems with the middle island.

JohnR

Reaction score

red admiral said:
Would a middle island and two angled decks be better? No, either you need two sets of arrestor wires to be in the same place for each landing path, or you keep the axial layout and risk the bolters running into the island. You've also got some turbulence problems with the middle island.

I suppose I've been influence by the pictures of the UAV carrier that has the V flight deck and midship superstructure and island.