Convair B-58 Hustler

Steve Pace

Aviation History Writer
Reaction score
I believe this to be the first take-off of the premier B-58A (55-0660).

Attachments

• 55-0660 first takeoff.jpg
    55-0660 first takeoff.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 1,588
Maybe the first landing, considering the plume of dust raised up by the main gear.... ;)

Convair B-58 Hustler model manufactured by Topping found on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Convair-B-58-Hustler-Desk-Model-Topping-Model-/120837459121?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c22794cb1

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJHJCoE7zRfR3,mBP!e6PQ7iw~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqJHJCoE7zRfR3,mBP!e6PQ7iw~~60_12.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 74
  • $(KGrHqZ,!jgE7jIy3h0zBP!e6JJRy!~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqZ,!jgE7jIy3h0zBP!e6JJRy!~~60_12.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 66
  • $(KGrHqFHJBsE7y7)3mg2BP!e6BcNT!~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqFHJBsE7y7)3mg2BP!e6BcNT!~~60_12.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 312
  • $(KGrHqVHJCME7y-RUez0BP!e56)8t!~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqVHJCME7y-RUez0BP!e56)8t!~~60_12.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 322
  • $(KGrHqVHJCME7y-RUez0BP!e56)8t!~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqVHJCME7y-RUez0BP!e56)8t!~~60_12.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 329
  • $(KGrHqR,!nUE63Tf6mueBP!e5suCZw~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqR,!nUE63Tf6mueBP!e5suCZw~~60_12.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 344
Ryan Rogallo wing topic made me remember something.
Lauge said:
jsport said:
....military parasailing donkey concept......

Just as you think you've seen everything :eek:

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Luxembourg
The B-58 ejection seats were tested with real live black bears strapped in.
On Wednesday, 21 March 1962, a 2-year old female black bear named Yogi served as the first live test subject. The tranquilized bear survived the ride upstairs, the ejection event, 7.5 minute parachute descent and landing with no apparent ill effect. Subsequent testing with other bears helped prove the escape system’s airworthiness.
yogi-the-bear-punchout1.jpg

Imagine tilling your bit o' land and have a bear delivered to you by parachute.

Given the test timeframe, you might've thought a Soviet invasion was underway ;D

SOC said:
Given the test timeframe, you might've thought a Soviet invasion was underway ;D

IMHO, the Farmer who found this capsule with Yogi Bear in it, will run away screaming: THE MARTIANS ARE COMING !!!

Wasn't this put up as a potential explanation for some of the "dead aliens around roswell"?

Or am I confusing this with the high alt testing of ejection seats?

Have any pictures of the SEA-painted Hustler used for Project Bullseye ever turned up? Or any good info other than the occasional brief reference here and there?

I'd love to see some closeups of the conventional bomb pylon setup for the B-58.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-1969-USAF-TECHNICAL-MANUAL-B-58A-TB-58A-U-S-AIR-FORCE-AIRCRAFT-DIAGRAMS-/120973240770?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2a9129c2

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    521.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    448.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    541 KB · Views: 106
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    517.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    427.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    405 KB · Views: 79
  • Cover.JPG
    Cover.JPG
    443.8 KB · Views: 93
A little bit on Project Bullseye

http://www.tboverse.us/HPCAFORUM/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=63
MarkSheppardPosts: 2721(07/01/08 13:42:04)Slightly obliviousFrom the Aerofax on the Hustler: Quote:Camouflage Reprise:

Over the many years that now have passed since the publication of the first edition of this book, considerable controversy has reigned over whether the B-58 was ever painted in the Air Force's distinctive Southeast Asia camouflage pattern. As noted on p.130, the scheme was enunciated in Tech Order 1-1-4, but it remains unverified as to whether it ever actually was applied to an aircraft.

David Menard, who works in the Air Force Museum library in Dayton, Ohio, has studied this debate for many years and has corresponded with a number of legitimate authorities on the subject. Among these are Lloyd Jones, who submitted the following letter and associated correspondence:

"A model builder friend of mine was asked by one of his occasional friends if he could build him a model of the Hustler for display in his home. My friend consulted with me as to decals, markings, and colors. I said 'Why don't you blow him away with a camouflage version?' He didn't think he would appreciate it, so went ahead and finished it in the standard scheme.

"When he delivered the model to his friend, he commented that I had suggested he paint it in camouflage and the friend said, 'I flew the camouflaged one'. He then sent me the enclosed sheet on 'Project Bullseye', and confirmed the serial number, 59-2428.

"He said only one plane was painted and it was kept under armed guard in a hangar when not flying. No one was allowed to photograph the plane, although he indicated he had tried. The aircraft markings were typical of the SEA with red numbers on the vertical and on the nose gear doors. The national insignia was on the fuselage and upper wing. No comment was made about rescue or servicing marks."

Lloyd's friend went on to write the following description of the Bullseye Project:

"The Bullseye Project was a highly classified program directed by the USAF Chief of Staff, Gen. Jack Ryan, to test the feasibility of the use of the B-58 as a 'pathfinder' for the F-4 and the F-105 in an attempt to improve the bombing accuracy of those aircraft on selected targets in N. Vietnam.

"Gen. Ryan was very displeased with the bombing tactics being utilized by PACAF and felt the sophisticated radar bombing tactics utilized by SAC would be an improvement over the 'dive bombing' methods being employed in 1966-67. The dramatic loss of aircraft using these tactics was the result of the exposure time the aircraft incurred when they climbed to a bombing altitude to identify their targets. It was thought that low altitude, high-speed entry with no climbing exposure would cut the loss of aircraft. The concept was to use a B-58 as the lead ship with four chicks (F-4 or F-105) on his wing. The bomb run would be conducted by the B-58 and all stores would be released on his command. Mutual ECM support was a benefit as all five aircraft would be using their individual electronic equipment to jam enemy radar systems. The B-58 was selected because of its speed capability and maneuverability, as it could not only stay with the two fighters, it could go faster, was more stable, and could turn inside either the F-4 or the Thud'. It also provided an excellent radar system, and was manned by the best pilots, radar navigators (bombardiers), and defensive systems operators (DSOs) in the Strategic Air Command.

"The actual tactics to be employed were to have the aircraft start at an intermediate altitude (18,000 ft) and work down. All releases were to be made in straight and level flight, with no maneuvering, on the bomb run. Each day's effort would be evaluated and the altitudes would be changed (lowered) to determine the best bombing, as well as the most surviv-able zones.

"The tests were conducted at Eglin AFB, Florida on selected ranges in the spring and early summer of 1967. Aircraft from the 305th BW at Bunker Hill (later Grissom) AFB flew with the F-4s solely to test formation tactics and bombing accuracy. The B-58s from the 43rd BW at Little Rock AFB flew with the F-105s and also were concerned with mutual ECM effects. As was noted, altitudes would start high and work

down to 'tree-top' level. Avoiding detection would be a prime requisite for this exercise, therefore the lower the better. Speed was another factor! All drops were to be made as close to a Mach 1 threshold as possible. Most drops were made at .94 Mach (around 600 kts at the lower levels) with only minor variations. All drops were live!

"The B-58 had four 'hard' points (two on each wing) where bombs could be slung. Mach .94 just happened to be 'normal' cruise for the B-58. Turns off target had to be fairly gradual and measured as the B-58's large delta wing gave it a distinct advantage over either fighter. After the turn, speed could be increased above Mach 1 if needed, to exit the 'lethal SAM' areas. This tactic was not employed during the Bullseye tests to my knowledge. The Bullseye project was complete success, with bombing results at the lowest altitudes better than those at the higher altitudes, and circular errors (CEs) in a highly destructive range (less than 200 ft). Detection was minimal and mutual ECM proved extremely successful.

"Upon completing all the tests the project director indicated to the crews that the Chief was highly encouraged by the results. It was apparent to everyone that crews and aircraft would be deployed at an early date to U-Tapao Royal Thai AB in southern Thailand, which was a SAC base housing the 307th Composite Wing. Paint was rumored to already be at the two B-58 home bases.

"Unfortunately, the concept was killed at a level above the Chief of Staff, USAF - probably the Secretary of Defense. It was later divulged that Mr. McNamara felt it would not be a politically good move and could result in a demoralizing public outcry if a B-58 were to be lost in combat. It also was felt that it would provide the enemy with a rallying point if they were to capture a crew member from the cream of American aircraft. The B-58 therefore was never used in Vietnam despite the fact that it probably was one of the best-suited aircraft forthat environment."

No name given...

Hi
A fantastic aircraft, what was the mass of the pod with weapons and fuel?
The perfect launch vehicle for a SLV with small satellite?
May be about 40,000lbs?

Steve Pace said:
I believe this to be the first take-off of the premier B-58A (55-0660).

Hey Spark,

Regarding the Hustler as a launch vehicle, here you go, man. And don't forget about the Super Hustler either.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3475.msg27634.html#msg27634

The B-58 also played a important part in Project QUICK CHECK.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/345317.pdf

Project Quick Check is an All Weather Reconnaissance
Charting System which will provide timely intelligence
and targeting information for missile and manned, high-speed
systems under all weather conditions.

This report is the twenty-seventh issue in a series of
monthly progress reports on the progress made by Goneral
Dynamics/Fort Worth on Project Quick Check, Contract
AF33(600)-A40367. The work accomplished during the month of
April 1962 is described in the following pages.

archipeppe said:
Maybe the first landing, considering the plume of dust raised up by the main gear.... ;)
And no dust plume from the J79's, which would be extensive considering the thrust of four of these engines!! RegardsPioneer

Arjen said:
Ryan Rogallo wing topic made me remember something.
Lauge said:
jsport said:
....military parasailing donkey concept......

Just as you think you've seen everything :eek:

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Luxembourg
The B-58 ejection seats were tested with real live black bears strapped in.
On Wednesday, 21 March 1962, a 2-year old female black bear named Yogi served as the first live test subject. The tranquilized bear survived the ride upstairs, the ejection event, 7.5 minute parachute descent and landing with no apparent ill effect. Subsequent testing with other bears helped prove the escape system’s airworthiness.
yogi-the-bear-punchout1.jpg

Imagine tilling your bit o' land and have a bear delivered to you by parachute.
Regarding B-58 ejection system, I found this [font=]http://youtu.be/lGX0l_p6OqE[/font]

[font=]I hope its of help and interest![/font]

[font=]Regards[/font]
[font=]Pioneer[/font]

B-58 Hustler Supersonic Bomber Wins the Bendix Trophy (Restored Color -1962)

Published on Mar 31, 2014

On March 5th, 1962, Capt Robert G Sauer & his crew in "Tall Man 55" took off from Carswell AFB, Fort Worth, Texas to break three transcontinental speed records in one day, over 4,500 miles in "Operation Heat Rise." The starting gate was Los Angeles, where the Hustler topped up her fuel. Along the way, she slowed briefly again for quick in air refuels, shown in detail, and reached New York City in just 2 hours & 56 seconds. Then, back to the West Coast, nonstop in 2hrs 15 minutes. The round trip was a total of 4 hours 41 minutes, including refueling, and all three times were transcontinental speed record.

https://youtu.be/wtCz2bBu9o0

B-58 HUSTLER SUPERSONIC BOMBER EJECTION POD DEVELOPMENT ESCAPE AND SURVIVE 71472

Published on Apr 3, 2015

Produced by the Stanley Aviation Corp. as part of their contract for Convair, "Escape and Survive" details the development of the escape capsule for the B-58 Hustler. Convair's B-58 was the first operational supersonic jet bomber capable of Mach 2 flight, and that aspect posed a unique challenge for aircrew survival. The solution was a large crew capsule that would eliminate the effects of wind blast.

The B-58 aircraft was designed by Convair engineer Robert H. Widmer and developed for the United States Air Force for service in the Strategic Air Command (SAC) during the 1960s. It used a delta wing, which was also employed by Convair fighters such as the F-102, with four General Electric J79 engines in pods under the wing. It carried a nuclear weapon and fuel in a large pod under the fuselage rather than in an internal bomb bay.

Replacing the Boeing B-47 Stratojet medium bomber, it was originally intended to fly at high altitudes and supersonic speeds to avoid Soviet fighters. The B-58 received a great deal of notoriety due to its sonic boom, which was often heard by the public as it passed overhead in supersonic flight.

The introduction of highly accurate Soviet surface-to-air missiles forced the B-58 into a low-level penetration role that severely limited its range and strategic value, and it was never employed to deliver conventional bombs. This led to a brief operational career between 1960 and 1970, when the B-58 was succeeded by the smaller, swing-wing FB-111A.

Stanley Aviation Inc. was founded in 1948 by Robert M. Stanley, a former Naval Aviator, with considerable experience in the Aviation field. Mr. Stanley had been the Vice President of Engineering at Bell Aircraft, participating in many flight test and engineering programs including the Bell X-1, and X-2 programs. The company designed and built many diverse products prior to entering into the escape and egress engineering field.

See our friend's website, http://www.ejectionsite.com/stanley/, for more information about the Stanley Aviation Corp. and the B-58 survival system.

https://youtu.be/nJ7yhvhBe9E

G'day gents

Just stumbled across this book review on the book - The B-58 Blunder: How the U.S. Abandoned its Best Strategic Bomber
by George Holt Jr

I thought it interesting (as I've highlighted) facts that I never really considered before

Highly effective weapons of war that often cost millions of dollars can easily end up in a trash pile due to quick and uninformed decisions. This work is a case study on how the B-58 supersonic bomber came to a premature death in the U.S. military, largely because of infighting among military and civilian leaders, who failed to understand the value of this fantastic airplane.
It was a technological marvel for its time and the very best pilots and navigators were chosen to fly this unique aircraft. At its maximum speed of 2.2 Mach (1,452 mph) it was 2½ times faster than the muzzle velocity of a .45 caliber bullet. It could fly faster and out turn must fighters of its day and was also capable of flying close to tree top level just below the speed of sound.
It was nearly undetectable by enemy radars due to its speed and low radar cross section and was better at flying through heavy turbulence due to its solid delta wing design. It had a highly accurate navigation and bombing system. It had a capsule ejection system for the safety of the aircrew and was capable of getting airborne in only half the time required by other bombers.
Told for the first time, this is the inside story that dispels the unproven myths surrounding the demise of the B-58 and why this magnificent airplane should have been saved. Its loss from the nuclear armory was a severe blow to our “Cold War” deterrence strength. The B-58 was a bomber that set the standard for fear in the heart of an enemy. Its loss was a strategic mistake.
The author provides lessons learned and recommendations for military and civilian leaders, going forward, to hopefully prevent future blunders—like what happened to the B-58.

Regards
Pioneer

Pioneer said:
G'day gents

Just stumbled across this book review on the book - The B-58 Blunder: How the U.S. Abandoned its Best Strategic Bomber
by George Holt Jr

I thought it interesting (as I've highlighted) facts that I never really considered before

Highly effective weapons of war that often cost millions of dollars can easily end up in a trash pile due to quick and uninformed decisions. This work is a case study on how the B-58 supersonic bomber came to a premature death in the U.S. military, largely because of infighting among military and civilian leaders, who failed to understand the value of this fantastic airplane.
It was a technological marvel for its time and the very best pilots and navigators were chosen to fly this unique aircraft. At its maximum speed of 2.2 Mach (1,452 mph) it was 2½ times faster than the muzzle velocity of a .45 caliber bullet. It could fly faster and out turn must fighters of its day and was also capable of flying close to tree top level just below the speed of sound.
It was nearly undetectable by enemy radars due to its speed and low radar cross section and was better at flying through heavy turbulence due to its solid delta wing design. It had a highly accurate navigation and bombing system. It had a capsule ejection system for the safety of the aircrew and was capable of getting airborne in only half the time required by other bombers.
Told for the first time, this is the inside story that dispels the unproven myths surrounding the demise of the B-58 and why this magnificent airplane should have been saved. Its loss from the nuclear armory was a severe blow to our “Cold War” deterrence strength. The B-58 was a bomber that set the standard for fear in the heart of an enemy. Its loss was a strategic mistake.
The author provides lessons learned and recommendations for military and civilian leaders, going forward, to hopefully prevent future blunders—like what happened to the B-58.

Regards
Pioneer

I love the Hustler myself but almost none of that is true.
Sounds like ill informed fanboy stuff but in fairness I haven't read the book (nor do I intend to).

Pioneer said:
G'day gents

by George Holt Jr

That book is fantastic. I just wish it were longer. Liked his story about the F-106 pilot getting cocky and the B-58 blowing past it :eek: A shame they didn't keep some around. Would be perfect delivery vehicle for larger stand off weapons, not to mention test aircraft. That B-52H was barely able to haul the X-51/ATACMS stack to launch conditions. A Hustler would have done it with ease. It also still holds at least one world record - it hauled an 11,000lb (5000kg) payload to 85,000 feet.

From the reviews on Amazon:

"My wife and I just finished George's book last night and wish it were twice as long. It is not only well documented, but written beautifully. I was at SAC headquarters at the time the decision was made to send the B-58s to the bone yard . I believe Al Dugard and I were the only people in the headquarters who had ever flown the B-58. I don't think either of us were aver consulted or asked for an opinion. It was such a major error. God help us to never make such a mistake again. READ THIS BOOK! IT MAY PISS YOU OFF BUT YOU'LL LOVE IT!
Colonel Doug Folts, USAF Retited "

Just for reference:

Attachments

• deltas.jpg
    deltas.jpg
    879.7 KB · Views: 515
B-58 as a Missile Launcher from the CIA CREST files

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP66B00762R000100120001-0.pdf

More regarding B-58 Missile Separation Dynamics

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP66B00762R000100160001-6.pdf

B-58 as an Air Launcher for a Photo Reconnaissance Satellite via CREST, known as Project Town Hall

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP66B00762R000100110001-1.pdf

Attachments

• Camo B-58.jpg
    Camo B-58.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 139
Considering the meaning of the word "Hustler" I'm often surprised Ike's America of the 1950's tolerated such a name. I mean, doesn't Hustler means "prostitute" ? and yes, political corecteness was already a thing back then. Different, but already there.

Considering the meaning of the word "Hustler" I'm often surprised Ike's America of the 1950's tolerated such a name. I mean, doesn't Hustler means "prostitute" ? and yes, political corecteness was already a thing back then. Different, but already there.
Hustler didn't get that meaning till the late 80s.

Before that and it still does mean, someone who is an aggressively enterprising person who is a go getting, as an noun with the Verb being move something along aggressively.

You can see how that fits the B58.

Terms and words meaning do change overtime.

Like remember a missile is an unguided thrown weapon.

Before that and it still does mean, someone who is an aggressively enterprising person who is a go getting, as an noun with the Verb being move something along aggressively.

At least in my lifetime (I'm 69) and region (New England), "hustler" always had a somewhat negative connotation; not someone who was criminal but somebody who skirted the edges of what's legal and ethical. Of course, this may have been different for the region where the marketing reps who picked the name for the B-58.

Regarding the naming of the B-58 Hustler, this from' Aerofax Convair B-58', page 39 :-

" The name Hustler also was officially applied to the aircraft at this time, though somewhat surprisingly, it had been in use in-house at Convair and the AF since 1952. The name could, in fact, trace its origins back to a need by Convair engineers for a program codename.
Robert Widmer, one of the chief project engineers in 1952, had discussed the problem with fellow engineer Stanton Brown. When Widmer described the new aircraft to Brown as having a bomber mission and supersonic speed, Brown's retort was, "Sounds like it'll really be a hustler .... why don't we call it Hustler."
The AF later adopted Hustler as the program code word, and in later years, it became the aircraft's official name."

cheers,
Robin.

At least in my lifetime (I'm 69) and region (New England), "hustler" always had a somewhat negative connotation; not someone who was criminal but somebody who skirted the edges of what's legal and ethical. Of course, this may have been different for the region where the marketing reps who picked the name for the B-58.
Hate to say it, but outside the B-58, about the only place I'd heard the word used was for the magazine.

Hate to say it, but outside the B-58, about the only place I'd heard the word used was for the magazine.
There was a great movie, The Hustler, with Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason. Neither Newman nor Gleason played prostitutes; they were professional pool players who would hustle the naive.