Convair Flying Submersible aka High Density Seaplane flying submarine (1962)

circle-5

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a Consolidated-Vultee wind tunnel model I cannot identify. The search engine did not recognize the design.

Some details caught my attention: the centerline engine is bigger than the other two, which is odd. The wings fold, which is also unusual, at least for a bomber.

Also, I'm surprised by the low position of the horizontal stabilizer, and the twin fins appear to be right in the exhaust path of the outboard engines. And if that's the cockpit, tucked way back between the forward-swept outboard engine pylons, then most of the field of view is a gigantic blind spot.

And it's orange.

Attachments

• Convair WTM 01sml.jpg
    Convair WTM 01sml.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 569
It looks to be pretty close to the Convair Flying Submarine. Check APR V2N6 (I think).

aim9xray said:
It looks to be pretty close to the Convair Flying Submarine. Check APR V2N6 (I think).

Ooooh yes. You might just be onto something. Maybe Scott will have the altruistic benevolence of posting an illustration of the flying sub for our less fortunate, APR-deprived members.

Yup, that's the flying submarine all right! It's surprising this concept even made it as far as the wind tunnel.

To avoid posting a linkfromhell, you can always hide it in a word, like this. Just select a clever word, click on the "Insert Hyperlink" button, above, and paste your link in the box provided! People will think you are awesome.

Technical details about the Convair three-engine flying submarine design from 1962 can also be found on pages 117 and 118 of Robert Bradley's book Convair Advanced Designs: Secret Projects from San Diego 1923-1962. What were the technical advantages of the three-engine flying submarine concept compared to the single-engine flying submarine proposals by Convair?

Last edited:
Just a quick note: The thread title is a bit inaccurate as, if I recall correctly, not all of the engines are for use when in the air.

Cutaway Convair Flying Submersible, author Ashwell Wood and shared from: Convair submersible seaplane concept - photo - HomemadeTools.net

Attachments

• convair_submersible_seaplane_concept_fullsize.jpg
    convair_submersible_seaplane_concept_fullsize.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Cutaway-Convair-Submarinr (1).jpg
    Cutaway-Convair-Submarinr (1).jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 73