Concorde Supersonic Speedbird - The Full Story

ov-101

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
A wonder of innovation and a 20th century icon - Concorde pushed the boundaries of speed, technology and luxury. It made its first flight 50 years ago next year, in 1969.

The magnificent white bird, travelling at twice the speed of sound between London, Paris and New York, represented the pinnacle of commercial air travel.

When it first took to the skies its systems were the most refined and complex ever seen, its pointed nose, slender fuselage and delta wing gave it the appearance of an arrow aimed at the horizon and it went faster than a rifle bullet.

Concorde’s passengers were heads of state, royalty, pop stars, millionaires and those so caught up in the dream of supersonic flight that they were willing to part with the enormous cost of a ticket for the greatest airliner ever made.

Concorde: Supersonic Speedbird - The Full Story gives a complete account of this incredible aircraft.

Attachments

• con0.jpg
    con0.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 251
This is a (supposedly) updated edition of an earlier bookazine from Mortons Media which I already own; I'll be curious as to what has changed. I came to the conclusion that their recent "Dambusters" issue was unchanged from its initial release, which I also already owned.

gatoraptor said:
This is a (supposedly) updated edition of an earlier bookazine from Mortons Media which I already own; I'll be curious as to what has changed. I came to the conclusion that their recent "Dambusters" issue was unchanged from its initial release, which I also already owned.

Both the Dambusters and Concorde bookazines are reissues (the originals of both sold out five years ago and have been unavailable in hard copy since) - so most of the material in them is the same. If you already own the original, you've already got most of what's in them, and neither of them is particularly 'secret projectsy'.
The differences in Dambusters are updates on the artwork on the BBMF's Lanc, updates on the various Dambusters museum exhibitions, an update on the current status of Peter Jackson's Dambusters movie, and a bit about the re-formation of 617 Squadron with the F-35. Most of the content is about the raid and is therefore timeless (although I think one guy we spoke to first time out has died since, and that fact is noted) but those bits which related to things as they stood in 2013 have been brought up to date.

Concorde: Supersonic Speedbird has undergone a little more work. I originally wrote it in three weeks and looking back through the original text it really shows - it was full of errors, basically. Also, believe it or not, things have also moved on for the surviving Concorde airframes since 2013 and those changes have been accounted for.
The pages where textual errors were fixed are as follows and the last three chapters have been rewritten (though only the last chapter includes any new images):
7 Corrected mistake at top of centre column
8 Change to col 1 – incorporated elements of the Me 163 (!), correct X1 to X-1 in col 3
14 correct error in first column, last par – Over in the US itself, Boeing had already conducted preliminary studies for the creation
15 correct first par – The two competing designs came from – and correct middle column – but had been repeatedly delayed by engine difficulties and the sheer
16 correct ‘below’ caption to CL-823, not CL-873
17 correct to America’s main contender and – While Wallis’s team – also remove dot from P 1101
18 correct first column, towards the bottom – Pam Am revealed that it was
19 middle column – the Russians didn’t have access to turbojets?? It was access to turbojets with sufficient thrust. Third column top – this knowledge was kept under wraps
22 correct caption – this is 01, G-AXDN, not 002.
23 correct ‘lift rafts’ to ‘life rafts’
24 correct second par ‘within this’ to ‘within these’
39 remove extra full stop after first paragraph in third column, note of Turcat's death in 2016
43 bottom of first col change ‘plus’ to ‘plugs’
45 in caption, change ‘passengers’ to passenger
47 correct middle column ‘due after’
53-57 drivel re-written, tenses corrected
60 bottom of middle column change ‘showed’ to ‘show’
73 middle column Chris Evans host of the Radio 1 breakfast show
91 First col – who were inside the hotel
96 Fix captions at the bottom of the page – they are very nonspecific
100 Correct caption – Technik Museum, not Technique Museum
101 Fifth line down on first col – such as the (delete ‘the’)
106-111 numerous changes, chapter rewritten - several Concorde airframes have moved, opening hours etc. have changed.
112-117 numerous changes, chapter rewritten - it's become increasingly unlikely that any Concorde will ever fly again for several reasons.
118-128 numerous changes, chapter rewritten - there are a lot more people now trying to build a Concorde successor and some of them are getting quite close (or seem to be).
130 Concorde location details etc. updated.

Well, I'll see if the idiot magazine supplier for my local B&N brings it in. Failing that, I'll order one direct.

Digital edition available now on the Pocketmags.com site under Aviation Classics Magazine: https://pocketmags.com/us/aviation-classics-magazine

Viewable anywhere anytime on anything with a screen and an internet connection.

Attachments

• Aviation Classics-Concorde.JPG
    Aviation Classics-Concorde.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Aviation Classics-Concorde 2.JPG
    Aviation Classics-Concorde 2.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 90