Chrysler SWAT

Petrus

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
In the late 1960s Chrysler Corp. designed an armoured personnel carrier know as the SWAT - Special Warfare Armored Transporter, whose one prototype was built in 1967.
Here you've got its drawings and some info from 'Commando, Twister and High Mobility Vehicles' by Christopher F. Foss (AFV Weapons Profile 62) as well as a photo which you won't see in Wikipedia.

What remains unclear to me is where the SWAT had actually its engine. Was it located in a similar manner as that of the Cadillac Gage Commando? I would be reallly grateful for any info.

Best regards,
Piotr

Attachments

• SWAT_i.JPG
    SWAT_i.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 113
  • SWAT_ii.JPG
    SWAT_ii.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 113
  • SWAT_txt.JPG
    SWAT_txt.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 136
  • SWAT_iii.JPG
    SWAT_iii.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 131
The wheel arrangement makes SWAT look derived from Chrysler's contemporary HM746 transporter. If so, the engine would have been behind the driver's position, ie: 'above' the rearmost front wheels.

Interesting that a Chyrsler engine is given. I've seen 365 hp given as the power. Since the HM746 had a Detroit Diesel powerplant, that suggested a 365hp 12V-71 (although the 1966 Mopar 440 V8 put out 365 hp @ 4600 rpm). Maybe the SWAT was offered with a range of powerplants?