Chinese wheeled APC prototype

Petrus

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I've just found somewhere over the Internet a photo showing a 8-wheeled APC built in China.

What's its designation and basic specifications?

Piotr

Attachments

• 107677427.jpg
    107677427.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 210
This is a WZ-522 wheeled APC, and this one of the earliest Chinese wheeled APC. Chinese wheeled APC development is slower than Tracked onece, the first Chinese wheeled APC reach service is WZ-523 and first Chinese wheeled APC been issue in large scale is WZ-551.

The vehicle is on display in Baotuo Northern Weapon City. The picture below is another possible prototype for the WZ-522.

Attachments

• T70A 8X8 Armored Personnel Carrier.jpg
    T70A 8X8 Armored Personnel Carrier.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 203
Thank you for your prompt answering my question. I've just tried to google the WZ 522 and it seems the photo I posted is apparently the only picture of this vehicle.
What I've just found about the WZ 522 is this, which looks very interesting:

The Chinese defence industry during the Cultural Revolution also developed its first indigenously designed 8 x 8 wheeled armoured vehicle. Designated the WZ 522-1, it was an eight-wheeled infantry fighting vehicle that was first trialled in 1971. It was designed for a crew of two and sixteen passengers. It was armed with a Type 59 12.7 mm heavy machine gun with 1,500 rounds in an open cupola. It measured 6.385 metres in length, 2.650 metres in width, 2.609 metres in height and had a ground clearance of .478 metres. Its design weight was 10 tonnes and its 150 horsepower engine gave and power to weight ratio of 15:1. It had four firing ports on either side towards the rear of the hull and its maximum road speed was 80 kilometres per hour and in water 3.3 kilometres per hour. Its maximum range was quoted at 500 kilometres. Although trialled it never went into service.

The info comes from http://epublications.bond.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1072&context=theses

Best regards,
Piotr

Petrus said:
Thank you for your prompt answering my question. I've just tried to google the WZ 522 and it seems the photo I posted is apparently the only picture of this vehicle.
What I've just found about the WZ 522 is this, which looks very interesting:

The Chinese defence industry during the Cultural Revolution also developed its first indigenously designed 8 x 8 wheeled armoured vehicle. Designated the WZ 522-1, it was an eight-wheeled infantry fighting vehicle that was first trialled in 1971. It was designed for a crew of two and sixteen passengers. It was armed with a Type 59 12.7 mm heavy machine gun with 1,500 rounds in an open cupola. It measured 6.385 metres in length, 2.650 metres in width, 2.609 metres in height and had a ground clearance of .478 metres. Its design weight was 10 tonnes and its 150 horsepower engine gave and power to weight ratio of 15:1. It had four firing ports on either side towards the rear of the hull and its maximum road speed was 80 kilometres per hour and in water 3.3 kilometres per hour. Its maximum range was quoted at 500 kilometres. Although trialled it never went into service.

The info comes from http://epublications.bond.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1072&context=theses

Best regards,
Piotr

There are more photos on net. Here is a low quality one.

Attachments

• T70 8X8 Armored Personnel Carrier.jpg
    T70 8X8 Armored Personnel Carrier.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 177