Chinese Stealth shaped aircraft

vulture

ACCESS: Confidential
Joined
Sep 25, 2009
Messages
96
Reaction score
5
Hi all;

What does everyone on this forum think of this Chinese stealth design? It appears to be a small scale RCS model I especially want to see comments from Stargazer and Deino - others may chime-in at will.

Enjoy

Vulture
 

Attachments

  • 15690818_546124.jpg
    15690818_546124.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 219

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 27, 2005
Messages
13,223
Reaction score
6,470
Forum rules:

Wherever possible, quote source.

Looks nothing like a stealthy shape btw.
 

SOC

I look at pictures all day
Senior Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2006
Messages
1,209
Reaction score
82
That could be an example of how not to make a stealthy aircraft. Slab sides, perpendicular angles..not a very good job.
 

Matej

Multiuniversal creator
Joined
Feb 13, 2006
Messages
2,613
Reaction score
194
Website
www.hitechweb.genezis.eu
We could easily replace the "stealth shaped" with the "black painted" and it will be much accurate. Probably fan art, probably official fictitious model for confusing, but definitely not stealthy.
 

elmayerle

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Messages
1,433
Reaction score
291
No, not particularly stealth-shaped based on what I know of it (and after working on three different programs involving low observables, I'd think I've some knowledge to base that on). An interesting shape but not too stealthy.
 

Stargazer2006

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2009
Messages
13,226
Reaction score
767
Vulture, what can I say? Clean design but not stealthy from what I can see... Would make for nice whiffs... Now we'll have to find a name for it!
 

Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
5,166
Reaction score
1,860
that is not stealthy

to much Slab sides, perpendicular angles, Air intake under plane and Jet nozzle clear to see
all this are very good radar reflector
from Infrared point of view also not stealthy

by the way
from were comes that picture ?
 

vulture

ACCESS: Confidential
Joined
Sep 25, 2009
Messages
96
Reaction score
5
what more would you expect for initial attempt at stealth from the Chinese? Or do you perhaps think the Chinese are on par with the West in stealth technology? The source is a Chinese defense web site after all. It is definitely a model - not a CGI or fan art. I never made any claims if it were a good stealth design at any rate - I just tried to illustrate the Chinese's 1st attempt with such technologies. Forgive me if I erred here guys.

Vulture
 

Stargazer2006

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2009
Messages
13,226
Reaction score
767
No probs as far as I'm concerned, vulture! The model is interesting and I quite like the design. It is pretty sleek, a radical change from the Shenyang and Xian spin-offs of MiGs that we've been used to for ages!
 

Matej

Multiuniversal creator
Joined
Feb 13, 2006
Messages
2,613
Reaction score
194
Website
www.hitechweb.genezis.eu
Its OK, we are all here for the rational discussion, but I would like to know, what is the base for your statement that it is the initial attempt at stealth from the Chinese? In other words, where is the evidence, that it isn't pure fan-art model? BTW I used to manufacture some of them by myself (see attachment).

For the first attempt in stealth technology, I expect something much standard, such as the new design with the faceted surface (USA, Germany) or rubber based RAM material, applied on some existing airframe (Soviet union) or smart curved shaping on the most significant radar reflectors (France).
 

Attachments

  • what-if.jpg
    what-if.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 184

Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
5,166
Reaction score
1,860
vulture said:
what more would you expect for initial attempt at stealth from the Chinese? Or do you perhaps think the Chinese are on par with the West in stealth technology? The source is a Chinese defense web site after all. It is definitely a model - not a CGI or fan art. I never made any claims if it were a good stealth design at any rate - I just tried to illustrate the Chinese's 1st attempt with such technologies. Forgive me if I erred here guys.

Vulture

i see your point, Vulture
can it be this is reverence Model for radar test, to understand how radar is reflects ?
 

elmayerle

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Messages
1,433
Reaction score
291
vulture said:
what more would you expect for initial attempt at stealth from the Chinese? Or do you perhaps think the Chinese are on par with the West in stealth technology? The source is a Chinese defense web site after all. It is definitely a model - not a CGI or fan art. I never made any claims if it were a good stealth design at any rate - I just tried to illustrate the Chinese's 1st attempt with such technologies. Forgive me if I erred here guys.

Well, I'd at least expect them to gather a few clues from declassified and readily visible demonstrators like Tacit Blue. There are several aspects readily observable on that aircraft that would apply here. I don't necessarily expect the same level of knowledge as other countries but I do expect some basic competency. The only definitely stealthy feature I see is the configuration of the inlets that would mask the radar signature of the front faces of the engines. Now, generally flat sides doe not ipso-facto make a design non-stealthy, both Tacit Blue and TSSAM had fairly flat, but angled, sides; the first to house a lpi radar and the second for aero and capacity reasons but there are some other aspects of those that I don't see here.
 

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
8,374
Reaction score
2,274
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
vulture said:
What does everyone on this forum think of this Chinese stealth design?

I'd say it looks like a wind tunnel model that utilizes a single rectangular underslung inlet... an inlet that has been faired over for tunnel-testing. Kinda looks like it might be a University-level design, painted up for display.

Something like this, but with the inlet covered.

mig144_1.jpg
 

vulture

ACCESS: Confidential
Joined
Sep 25, 2009
Messages
96
Reaction score
5
some additional images

Vulture
 

Attachments

  • 529_405_576178[2].jpg
    529_405_576178[2].jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 144

vulture

ACCESS: Confidential
Joined
Sep 25, 2009
Messages
96
Reaction score
5
here ya go! I think Shenyang is the owner of this model. B)

Vulture
 

Attachments

  • 529_411_857860[1].jpg
    529_411_857860[1].jpg
    230 KB · Views: 29
  • 529_412_906944[1].jpg
    529_412_906944[1].jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 529_410_990027[2].jpg
    529_410_990027[2].jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 529_409_176239[2].jpg
    529_409_176239[2].jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 529_408_146011[3].jpg
    529_408_146011[3].jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 529_407_380267[2].jpg
    529_407_380267[2].jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 529_406_180139[1].jpg
    529_406_180139[1].jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 103

vulture

ACCESS: Confidential
Joined
Sep 25, 2009
Messages
96
Reaction score
5
My personal nickname would be "Black Eagle," but that's just me.

Vulture B)
 

AeroFranz

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
May 4, 2008
Messages
2,354
Reaction score
326
is it me or the flow separates immediately behind that rather abrupt ramp? I can't imagine the engine being happy with that.
 

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Dec 27, 2005
Messages
13,223
Reaction score
6,470
And what makes us think this model is anything official from Shenyang, rather than a what-if in someones' bedroom?
 

vulture

ACCESS: Confidential
Joined
Sep 25, 2009
Messages
96
Reaction score
5
It was only of the features at an exhibition held in China. Anyway, that is the info I got.

Vulture B)
 

Attachments

  • 529_103_279235[3].jpg
    529_103_279235[3].jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 529_370_147500[1].jpg
    529_370_147500[1].jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 73

vulture

ACCESS: Confidential
Joined
Sep 25, 2009
Messages
96
Reaction score
5
Same exhibition as the black model, but different - more stealthy model. Other image is high-ranking general of the Chinese Air Force (or the PLAAF).

Vulture B)
 

vulture

ACCESS: Confidential
Joined
Sep 25, 2009
Messages
96
Reaction score
5
The high-ranking PLAAF general above is PLAAF Commander Xu Qiliang.

Vulture B)
 

Abraham Gubler

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2008
Messages
3,555
Reaction score
284
vulture said:
Other image is high-ranking general of the Chinese Air Force (or the PLAAF).

Interesting uniform. For one the lead 3 star AF general doesn't appear to wear pilot's wings. Not that it’s a bad thing but as a commander of an air force - extremely rare. The other is their ribbons. They wear multiple copies of same award and in different positions. The lead general has 7 awards of the aqua ribbon, 5 of a medium blue one, 4 of a grey one, 4 of a beige one and one yellow one with a device on it.

As to the models they look more like various project studies from the local science institute. Displayed here for aesthetics more than anything. None of them are stealthy.
 

Stargazer2006

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2009
Messages
13,226
Reaction score
767
Somehow this shape reminds of something Rutan-ish, but I can't seem to pinpoint just what design at this point...

index.php
 

Hammer Birchgrove

ACCESS: Top Secret
Joined
May 13, 2009
Messages
583
Reaction score
11
Matej said:
Its OK, we are all here for the rational discussion, but I would like to know, what is the base for your statement that it is the initial attempt at stealth from the Chinese? In other words, where is the evidence, that it isn't pure fan-art model? BTW I used to manufacture some of them by myself (see attachment).

For the first attempt in stealth technology, I expect something much standard, such as the new design with the faceted surface (USA, Germany) or rubber based RAM material, applied on some existing airframe (Soviet union) or smart curved shaping on the most significant radar reflectors (France).
Is it the MIG-31 'Firefox' from the Clint Eastwood movie I see in your attached image? :)
 

collins355

ACCESS: Restricted
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
44
Reaction score
2
The man photographed is the commander of the PLAAF General Xu.

http://eng.mod.gov.cn/Database/Leadership/2009-07/29/content_4016492.htm

Abraham Gubler said:
vulture said:
Other image is high-ranking general of the Chinese Air Force (or the PLAAF).

Interesting uniform. For one the lead 3 star AF general doesn't appear to wear pilot's wings. Not that it’s a bad thing but as a commander of an air force - extremely rare. The other is their ribbons. They wear multiple copies of same award and in different positions. The lead general has 7 awards of the aqua ribbon, 5 of a medium blue one, 4 of a grey one, 4 of a beige one and one yellow one with a device on it.

As to the models they look more like various project studies from the local science institute. Displayed here for aesthetics more than anything. None of them are stealthy.
 

Colonial-Marine

Fighting the UAV mafia.
Joined
Oct 5, 2009
Messages
745
Reaction score
108
Orionblamblam said:
vulture said:
What does everyone on this forum think of this Chinese stealth design?

I'd say it looks like a wind tunnel model that utilizes a single rectangular underslung inlet... an inlet that has been faired over for tunnel-testing. Kinda looks like it might be a University-level design, painted up for display.

Something like this, but with the inlet covered.

mig144_1.jpg

Fantastic picture of the Mig 1.44 there. Any more from whatever source you got it from?
 

Similar threads

Top