Chinese Say Space Weapons Inevitable

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
From spacewar.com:

China commander says space weapons inevitable: state media
Beijing (AFP) Nov 2, 2009
A top China air force commander has called the militarisation of space an "historical inevitability", state media said Monday, marking an apparent shift in Beijing's opposition to weaponising outer space. In a wide-ranging interview in the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Daily, air force commander Xu Qiliang said it was imperative for the PLA air force to develop offensive and defensive opera
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The full story at this link -

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/China_commander_says_space_weapons_inevitable_state_media_999.html

"Imperative to develop"? They've already developed and are actively fielding. Here in a little bit the relevant details will be posted on my website after I finish writing the text. That's pretty good though, that's going to be an awesome quote in the introduction.

"Only power can protect peace." Too bad OUR leaders have forgotten that. :mad:

There's no doubt in my military mind that space-based weapons will appear sooner than later, or, in the near future (give it no more than ten years).

bobbymike said:
air force commander Xu Qiliang said it was imperative for the PLA air force to develop offensive and defensive opera

The Italians are way ahead of all of us. We are so screwed.

I found Chinese opera pretty offensive when i was in Chengdu, so I think the Chinese are definitely ahead ;D

China probably has a FEL-based ASAT:

http://geimint.blogspot.com/2009/11/chinas-other-asat.html

I wonder if "weapons in space" development and policy will develop using tried and true nuclear deterrence theory? Meaning everyone has a basic no first use doctrine with weapons that make any attack of a countries space assets mutually destructive and not worth it.

Clearly at this stage the US is the preeminent space power so it may be an imperative to development both defensive and offensive space systems, especially given the statement by the Chinese.

overscan said:
I found Chinese opera pretty offensive when i was in Chengdu, so I think the Chinese are definitely ahead ;D

Paul, we are not talking about their traditional opera here right?

Stupid commander should look at the economy. China could get more power, influence and goodwill by building solar power stations in orbit instead.

Didn't now where else to post this. China Ordnance Equipment Group Corporation applied for a patent for a space based case-less cannon un-jamming system

Attachments

• China Ordnance Equipment Group Corporation caseless space cannon un jamming device patent 3.jpg
    China Ordnance Equipment Group Corporation caseless space cannon un jamming device patent 3.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 1
  • China Ordnance Equipment Group Corporation caseless space cannon un jamming device patent 2.jpg
    China Ordnance Equipment Group Corporation caseless space cannon un jamming device patent 2.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 1
  • China Ordnance Equipment Group Corporation caseless space cannon un jamming device patent 1.jpg
    China Ordnance Equipment Group Corporation caseless space cannon un jamming device patent 1.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 1