Chinese hovercraft

Nagumo

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hello, have anybody here photos of these chinese hovercrafts please?

Type 711
Type 716 (Dagu A class)
Type 716II (Dagu B class)
Type 722 (Jingsah I class)
Type 722II (Jingsah II class)
Songling

I'm not expert but here some pictures of the Type 722II (Jingsah II class)
Pictures come from a chinese froum, but I lose the link... :/

Attachments

• 722ii_1.jpg
    722ii_1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 351
  • 722ii_2.jpg
    722ii_2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 323
  • 78967033850.jpg
    78967033850.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 324
An interesting piece of information whose truthfulness is all but impossible to assess, found at https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/22733233

In the late 50s, the Department of Naval Engineering in Harbin, under the leadership of Professor Gu Maoxiang (spelling?), was working on high-performance ship designs. A Professor Yun Liang (spelling?) was working on a sidewall hovercraft / ground effect vehicle project. The so called "Boat 33" allegedly covered a distance of about 30 km near the Lushun naval base in July 1959 - almost two weeks before the world famous crossing of the English Channel by the British SR.N1 hovercraft.

Attachments

• Boat 33.png
    Boat 33.png
    285.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
“Boat 33” does exist
I saw a detailed introduction to "Boat 33" in the magazine
I'll reprint some if I have the chance

About Boat "Boat 33"or“No.33 boat”, very interesting
Old photos don’t look like the model shown
Its power unit is a Yak 18,The cockpit is another plane
But, SR.N1 is a Full Article Hovercraft,"Boat 33" is a Sidewall Hovercraft
640.webp.jpg

Last edited:
Looks much more like a WIG craft to me, certainly it has solid sidewalls. But it does have a lift fan driven by a second M-11 radial engine. It looks a rough and ready conversion job (the forward fuselage facing aft, bolted to the deck with an extension driveshaft and the aft fuselage facing forwards on simple struts) but the hull seems well designed and this must be one of the earliest WIG vehicles.

What is also interesting are the two Yak-18/CJ-5 fuselages, both are single-seaters with a canopy very similar to the Yak-18P. The canopy looks a pretty neat job with all-round perspex panels to be a simple cut-and-shut job from a standard tandem seater. I wonder if China received any Yak-18Ps from the USSR or if any single-seat CJ-5s were built?

Could it be a hovercraft of similar configuration to SR.N1 without its "bladder"? (not sure if that's the correct term).

Unlikely. In the image with fortrena's #7 reply, boat 33 appears to move at speed with the sidewalls cutting through the water.
Skirt is commonly used for that part of a hovercraft.