China Projecting Power in South and East China Seas

Status
Not open for further replies.
All posts about COVID-19 deleted. There may be far fetched coherencies, but the discussion is getting
out of control.
Please limit this thread to news about changes in China's air defence zone !

This whole affair is starting to look like an act of war.

This whole affair is starting to look like an act of war.

No it doesn’t. Suggest any interested readers read the actual article.

On the subject of China. The next time somebody complains that the US shouldn't develop Medium/Intermediate ranged missiles or mobile ICBMs:

Chinese TELs.jpg

(And this isn't even all of them.)

On the subject of China. The next time somebody complains that the US shouldn't develop Medium/Intermediate ranged missiles or mobile ICBMs:

View attachment 630766

Off topic! :mad:
Going up the page we have Corona Virus, China sinking a Vietnamese fishing boat, China intimidating Taiwan, etc. Why was my post singled out for being off topic?

You both are right, I think !
But although straying OT started very early in this thread, I think, it's not too late to change
course and come back to the original topic.
So, please, at least from now on only posts about "China Expanded Air Defense Zone",
and from now on OT posts will be moved or deleted. Ok ?

You both are right, I think !
But although straying OT started very early in this thread, I think, it's not too late to change
course and come back to the original topic.
So, please, at least from now on only posts about "China Expanded Air Defense Zone",
and from now on OT posts will be moved or deleted. Ok ?
Maybe a general South China Sea thread? Lots of interesting stuff happening

Why not try it ? Due to the experiences with such threads, I'm just afraid, that it will go deeply into
politics quite fast and judging discussions about China in other threads, I cannot help, but won't
expect a long lifetime.
But I like pleasant surprises and I still believe, that rational and fair discussions are possible here !

View attachment 630766

I think it would be wise to do so, but I don't think the American populace would support mobile missiles on the roads. They would have to be kept on a base out of sight and deployed in times of trouble which would negate their mobility as they would be on base the majority of their lives. Maybe the better solution is more submarines with new missile and more heavy bombers. China and Russia are large land masses with a lot of empty ground.

But I like pleasant surprises and I still believe, that rational and fair discussions are possible here !

You want off topic, how about this: let's assume that the US and China get into a low-level shooting war, not a full nuclear exchange. But it's a *real* war and it drags on and on. Alternatively, assume that Britain and France start slugging it out, or the S and Canada, Russia and Spain... whoever. Just assume that one side is *clearly* the authoritarian aggressive Bad Guy.

What happens to the SPF? Is politics still out of bounds when you've got people from both sides in a clearly nasty actual conflict?

I think it would be wise to do so, but I don't think the American populace would support mobile missiles on the roads.

Sure they would. Simple solution: the road-mobile missile trucks go from town to town like a 1980's action adventure TV star, distributing toilet paper and hand sanitizer wherever they go.

You want off topic,
You remember "The Bar is for any offtopic postings. We will remove any offensive posts, ...", don't you ?

What happens to the SPF? Is politics still out of bounds when you've got people from both sides in a clearly nasty actual conflict?
The problem I see, lies within your sentence "Just assume that one side is *clearly* the authoritarian aggressive Bad Guy.".
That means, the other side would be *clearly* the good, absolutely innocent guy. Hard to imagine, as there are two sides
to every question.
Discussions about current politics have nearly always led to flaming, offenses and so on, that's why they aren't encouraged here.
The way, the new "South China Sea" thread started, as a "News Only" thread seems to be a good one. As you probably remember,
it worked for the F-35 thread quite well, and that theme got out of control before, when it principally still was one of US-procurement
policy only.

After 22 pages we should think about end another thread that has little to do with unbuilt projects and lot of potential for sterile personal attacks between members.

Political affairs are important, no doubt, but in this forum I can't see any benefit for people interested in technology research to get engaged in political confrontation.

Maybe the answer is to have one thread, perhaps called "Hard Talk" after the BBC World Service interview programme, located in The Bar where any postings deemed political by the moderators to discuss current political issues can be moved. This will allow those with the stomach for such discussions to have them. Moderators could simply remove racist or libelous comments in the same way as their media counterparts.

might be worthwhile amalganating all (3?) the 'China' bar threads into one ? as all seem to cover a similar topic base

Even worse, some of those new destroyers are actually light cruisers.

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say ship production for the PLAN isn't going to slow down anytime soon. What will be the US response?

Introduce low-cost drone ships to monitor the Chinese and provide a more persistent presence?

Status
Not open for further replies.