Caproni Ca.183bis

Re: Ca- 183bis

Everything is known on the 183 will be in ISP, IF it appears early next year.

Skybolt said:

Wow,a good news my dear Skybolt.

Skybolt said:

Is there a realistic chance of this? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be very glad if this long anticipated book finally came out! :)

Skybolt said:
I'll post complete data later, for now I only say that the gun on the engine was a 20 mm one like the other four, not a 30 mm. Lot of legends on this project, as you see. BTW, I'm not convinced that the DB-605 transmission shaft could even house a 30 mm caliber gun...

————————————————————————————-
Most motor-cannons operate completely outside the engine, ergo no need to worry about compatibility with the crankshaft. They will not fire through the middle of the crankshaft. Often they nestle into the V between cylinder banks.

Instead, most motor-cannons only fire through the propeller speed reduction unit. Since the PSRU offsets the propeller from the crankshaft, the cannon barrel has no need to penetrate the crankcase. . Since the contra-rotating propellers needed a completely new PSRU it would be easy to specify a 30 or 37mm cannon - at the start of the project - and design the new PSRU around the larger cannon.

Last edited:
Greetings

In short: this plane is a motorjet fighter serived from an earlier Campini N.1. I knew 183 existed for some time, but I only recently discovered that it was, as some sources claim, 80% finished at some point in late 1944 or early 1945. The prototype was then destroyed in allied bombardment and was forgotten.

I searched several sites for pictures or any evidence the partial prototype existed, but the only evidence I managed to find is a blueprint of some sort.

https://forum.warthunder.com/uploads/monthly_2017_05/post-578478-0-30900000-1464549951.jpg.a24e5adc5126ac94ec5d50b6cebb5ed1.jpg

Question: do pictures of the prototype exist?

Kind regards :)

Topics merged

From Aerei Nella Storia 4-5/2009.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    531 KB · Views: 232
  • 2.png
    2.png
    575.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 3.png
    3.png