Canadair CL-21: a short-lived planned replacement for the DC-3

Interesting. I have Flying Review International magazines from the 50s and 60s, and the DC-3 replacement was a big topic. What will it be, etc. With 20/20 hindsight, I award the title to the Boeing 737.

Mock-up of the nose section of the Canadair CL-21.

Source:
Ron Pickler & Larry Milberry - "Canadair - The First 50 Years" (Canav) ISBN 0921022077

Attachments

• Canadair_CL-21_Mock-up.jpg
    Canadair_CL-21_Mock-up.jpg
    885.2 KB · Views: 359
During the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s, Canadair, CASA, Convair, deHavilland, Dornier, Douglas, Fokker, Hawker-Siddeley, Lockheed, McDonnell, Martin, NAMC, Pilatus, SAAB, Shorts, etc. all proposed "DC-3 replacements" but could not compete with the low cost of military-surplus Douglas and Curtiss transports.

The main reason why DC-3s and C-47s remained in service for so long is mainly due to two reasons; their availability, and their reliability. The aircraft were available in such large numbers in the years following the Second World War that you could buy a few for a dirt cheap cost. Their reliability was down to two major factors; their availability and their simplicity. Spares were in huge supply and the aircraft were relatively easy to maintain.

The only two aircraft (in my honest opinion) that can be called DC-3 replacements are the HS.748 and the Convair 240 series, however, these aircraft aircraft came nowhere near close enough to the DC-3, and only truly replaced them in mainline service.

The main reason why DC-3s and C-47s remained in service for so long is mainly due to two reasons; their availability, and their reliability. The aircraft were available in such large numbers in the years following the Second World War that you could buy a few for a dirt cheap cost. Their reliability was down to two major factors; their availability and their simplicity. Spares were in huge supply and the aircraft were relatively easy to maintain.

The only two aircraft (in my honest opinion) that can be called DC-3 replacements are the HS.748 and the Convair 240 series, however, these aircraft aircraft came nowhere near close enough to the DC-3, and only truly replaced them in mainline service.
Also, it was built early in the stressed skin era, and designers weren't really sure how strong the airframes were, and aircraft such as the DC-3 were overbuilt.

HS.748? Not really; Fokker F-27/FH-27/FH-227 was the true turboprop successor to the DC-3 for many carriers in North-America, Europe, Latin America, Australia and parts of Africa and Asia.

Woops. Forgot about the F-27 and its variants. :oops:

In terms of production numbers, the only real DC-3 replacement was the Boeing 737, utterly dominating a section of the market until the A 320 series took off.