Can anyone identify these aircraft ?? ... found in China

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Now I need Your help ... found at 40°24'55.98"N 99°47'26.72"E at the Dingxin AB ... looks like a row of J-5 or JJ-5 ... then a F-104 :eek: ... and what are these ??? ??!

If I wouldn't know better I would say it looks like a J-9 ;D

Deino

Attachments

• Dingxin AB - 1.12.2010.jpg
    Dingxin AB - 1.12.2010.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 189
Looks like they're building decoys, probably for use as range targets. Look 5 miles southeast and you find a mockup of Taiwan's CCK airbase. The F-104 has been there for a while and probably arrived via a ROCAF defector I'd assume.

Hmm ... but why building decoys of types not in service ?

If You look at the different pictures available from the same place these "wrecks" are there already since March 2006 (the earliest picture available at GE) ... and regarding the J-5/JJ-5 these are most likely Ba-5 target-drones since Dingxin is known as a CFTE radar and missile test base.

Strange ... ???

Because it's fast and easy. Take a big sheet of metal, cut it diagonally in half, and you get two triangular wings. Won't win you any recognition awards, but it'll look like an airplane. Which you can then blow up! Range targets are the only likely things I can think of at the moment. They wouldn't be building or modding drones right out in the open for an extended period, and as the fuselages have been there for a while waiting for use working on them exposed like this seems to indicate that they aren't too sophisticated.

With all of the drones there, Dingxin is probably the launch point for targets for the Shuangchengzi SAM test range located to the north as well.

The ones on the right make me think of Dassault Mirage IV bombers... The one on the right looks like a swep-wing design such as an F-111 or F-14. Just my two cents.

Too small for Mirage IV or F 14, I think. If it is a F-104, those
deltas are about the same size and the others even seem to
be smaller.

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 96
The leading edges look straight and actually I cannot see canards on the right
of the two aircraft.

Hmmm ... ?? Thanks for Your replies but anyway I'm still not convinced to take them as a decoy, a mock-up ... I don't now what it is !?

Deino :-[

Deino said:
Hmmm ... ?? Thanks for Your replies but anyway I'm still not convinced to take them as a decoy, a mock-up ... I don't now what it is !?

Deino :-[

look more decayed mock-up's

Maybe 'these aircraft' are made for Spies Like Us :p ?

Probably somewhere in China several people slap on their thighs and convulse with laughter while thinking about freaks in aviation forums around the world thinking of 'these aircraft' ... ;)

SOC said:
Because it's fast and easy. Take a big sheet of metal, cut it diagonally in half, and you get two triangular wings. Won't win you any recognition awards, but it'll look like an airplane. Which you can then blow up! Range targets are the only likely things I can think of at the moment. They wouldn't be building or modding drones right out in the open for an extended period, and as the fuselages have been there for a while waiting for use working on them exposed like this seems to indicate that they aren't too sophisticated.

With all of the drones there, Dingxin is probably the launch point for targets for the Shuangchengzi SAM test range located to the north as well.

100% correct !!!

Just solved the mystery with some help of a very kind friend ! :-*

These are all dummies of ROC IDF and Mirage 2000. The others above are so simulate F-104 and F-86. Since the Dingxin Air base is the PLAAF's main weapon testing and training base mainly used for Air-to-air and air-to-surface missiles' tests.

As such these are to be used as dummies for targeting additionally this "East base" is built to simulate a ROC Air Force base.

So long ... and sadly nothing special,
Deino

Back
Top Bottom