Lockheed C-5C Space Cargo Transportation System (SCTS)

Spongthrush

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Of mild interest to those of us in the UK is that Space Cargo modified C-5C 80216 arrived at Mildenhall yesterday.

The aircraft (along with 80213) has been subject to a degree of interest over the years in connection with various projects, alleged Boscombe Down debris retrieval etc and rarely visit the UK. Whatever the stories, I guess it's not brought over something for use in space but am fully expecting speculation that it arrived direct from Groom Lake with Bob Lazar and his flying saucer who are off to Libya.

cheers
ian

I would like to hear all the stories associated with these aircraft

Spongthrush said:
Of mild interest to those of us in the UK is that Space Cargo modified C-5C 80216 arrived at Mildenhall yesterday.

The aircraft (along with 80213) has been subject to a degree of interest over the years in connection with various projects, alleged Boscombe Down debris retrieval etc and rarely visit the UK. Whatever the stories, I guess it's not brought over something for use in space but am fully expecting speculation that it arrived direct from Groom Lake with Bob Lazar and his flying saucer who are off to Libya.

cheers
ian

The C-5Cs are currently operated by the 349th Air Mobility Wing out of Travis AFB, a reserve unit. The do more than carry satellites, they also carry Shuttle SRBs and other space-related cargo. The C-5Cs have some structural changes, slightly different doors, and different landing gear, but overall are not all that different from "regular" C-5s. I have never been able to find anything that connects the C-5Cs with Groom, TTR, or other classified flight test facilities. Everything I have been able to find points to "regular" aircraft being used, though some crews may able in higher demand than others for this role.

In the 80s it was the 22nd Airlift Squadron, also out of Travis, that moved completed F-117s from Burbank and Palmdale to Groom Lake. Units at Travis also provide tanker support for operations at TTR and Groom.

In southern California it is not unusual at all to see strange shapes, covered under tarps, being moved by rail, aircraft, or roadway late at night. In El Segundo and Redondo Beach this is a regular occurance, and the "packages" get quite the convoy of protection from the highway patrol.

Byeman said:
quellish said:
they also carry Shuttle SRBs

I know they don't carry those because they are too heavy

They could carry inert SRBs, just not loaded ones: the propellant alone is more than a C-5's MTOW. They also used to carry shuttle payload bay modules.

SOC said:
They could carry inert SRBs, just not loaded ones: the propellant alone is more than a C-5's MTOW. They also used to carry shuttle payload bay modules.

The C-5C modifications are to support the use of the "Space Container Transportation System". You can think of the SCTS as a wrapper, or packaging, for a space payload (like an ISS module, the HSCT, etc.). The container is environmentally controlled and filled with shock absorbers to keep the payload happy. The cargo area of the C-5C has extra plugs to provide power to the SCTS, and the aft doors are different to open wider. The SCTS takes up the ENTIRE cargo bay. There is basically no clearance between the SCTS and the aircraft.

I've never been able to get clarity on wether the SCTS refers to specific hardware, or describes a specification/design contract for the container and its interface to the aircraft.

You can see one of these containers here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimntexas/109270549/in/faves-aussierupe/

SOC said:
They could carry inert SRBs, just not loaded ones.

No they don't, never have and never intended to. The SRB casings are returned by train,

Somewhat surprisingly, the C-5Cs have shown up at airshows; this example being 68-0213 seen at MCAS Miramar in 2009.

Discussion with a crew member indicated that the C-5C's were pretty much without a mission with the upcoming retirement of the Shuttle. Indeed, this example was available for airshow duty because the C-5A/B was heavily tasked. At the time, the C-5Cs were being used as trainers and "bounce" birds.

Nonetheless it was related that the C-5Cs would be inducted into the AMP and RERP programs. (Note that this info is a little dated and is based on what the crewman chose to tell me.)

Attached is an image of the aft cargo area; note the bi-fold cargo doors, highly modified upper deck (torque box) and absent upper cargo deck (area where the beige insulation is present).

Edit: Speeling.

Attachments

• C-5C 68-0213 2009.jpg
    C-5C 68-0213 2009.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 234
aim9xray said:
Discussion with a crew member indicated that the C-5C's were pretty much without a mission with the upcoming retirement of the Shuttle.

The crewmember really doesn't know what he is talking about. There are spacecraft on other launch vehicles that SCTS and C-5c support.

aim9xray said:
(Note that this info is a little dated and is based on what the crewman chose to tell me.)
Hence my caveat. Crewdawg information expressed at an airshow is what it is, and should not necessarily be treated as gospel.

Byeman said:
No they don't, never have and never intended to. The SRB casings are returned by train,

I had no idea if they did or not, I just meant that an inert SRB was clearly not too heavy.

quellish said:
SOC said:
The SCTS takes up the ENTIRE cargo bay. There is basically no clearance between the SCTS and the aircraft.

Actually, the container takes up the volume between the rear door and wing box. The volume forward of the wing box is used for the prime mover. I believe the aft bogies have to fly on another plane.

Title: 'C' the Galaxy

Date(s): 28-May-2013 5:37 PM

The Lockheed Martin Skunk Works® facility in Palmdale, Calif., performed maintenance on one of just two C-5C Galaxy aircraft in the world in May 2013. The C-5C features more cargo capacity than A & and B models due to removal of the entire passenger compartment. Each of the two C-5C aircraft is assigned to Travis Air Force Base, Calif., and will eventually be modernized to become the C-5M Super Galaxy.

Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., Lockheed Martin is a global security and aerospace company that employs about 118,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration, and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products, and services. The Corporation's net sales for 2012 were $47.2 billion.

HI-RES PHOTO http://www.lockheedmartin.com/content/dam/lockheed/data/aero/photos/press_photos/2013/may/P13-010-05.jpg

Media Contact: Chad E. Gibson Lockheed Martin Aeronautics MMRO Communications Manager Mobile: 678-761-4623 Office: 770-494-3847

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/c-5c.htm

I imagine the newer C-5M Super Galaxy will carry on NASA support, does anyone know if they have modified any?

Cheers

NRO Statement of Work: Space Cargo Transportation System, 9 August 1985

The Chronological History of the C-5 Galaxy

In the late 1980s, two C-5As were modified and designated C-5Cs to support the outsize cargo requirements of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). Both aircraft in 2002 were assigned to the 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis Air Force Base, California. The two “C” models, tail numbers 68-0213 and 68-0216, were nearly identical in appearance to the C-5 “A” and “B” models. The “C” model’s modifications included removal of the troop cargo compartment and a portion of the rear fuselage to provide clearance for NASA’s Space Cargo Transportation System (SCTS). The aft center doors of the “C” models were split down the centerline and attached to the side doors at the right and left rear of the aircraft. The C-5Cs have the same kneeling capabilities as the C-5As and C-5Bs. (TO 1C-5A-9-1 (U), WR-ALC, “Supplemental Loading Instructions Manual to AF68-213 and AF68-216,” 15 Jan 99.)

Jun 87
The Lockheed-Georgia Company began modifying the first of two C-5As (tail numbers 68-0213 and 68-0216) so the aircraft could transport the unique outsize space shuttle cargoes of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). There had been no space shuttle flights since the space shuttle Challenger exploded shortly after takeoff on 28 January 1986. After more than two years of assessing the causes of the explosion and correcting the identified safety problems, NASA planned to launch a new space shuttle mission before the end of 1988. Modifying the C-5As to support the NASA mission included removing the troop compartment, redesigning the aft pressure door and bulkhead, and widening the aft doors so the planes could carry the space shuttle’s large cargo container. The first C-5A completed modification in October 1988 and the second in early 1989. The two aircraft were redesignated C-5Cs. The cost of modifying both “A” models was $133.8 million.

1986 Rare SPACE SHUTTLE ORBITER Critical Design Review LOCKHEED MISSILES SPACE

There's a page with minimal info on the C-5C in the Squadron/Signal C-5 Galaxy in Action (No.201), page 28 with a couple of photos, and a diagram on page 33 showing the inboard side profile.

Not NASA, but NRO. The container has been used by NASA in the past but it provided as a service.

Many newer containers try to use the front of the C-5 (see GOES spacecraft) or a C-17 (see Psyche spacecraft)
But there are others that still need the C-5C.SCM like JWST and the upcoming Roman Space Telescope.