C-16 Projects?

Nick

ACCESS: Confidential
Joined
Sep 24, 2009
Messages
81
Reaction score
33
Was reading about the C-17 USAF transport aircraft today and reference was made to the use of the YC-15 for flight testing. That left me wondering what came in between the two.

Wikipedia says that the C-16 designation was reserved for various projects but never assigned. Does anybody know what projects these were?

Also, what about the C-30 designation? Who was it reserved for?
 

Stargazer2006

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2009
Messages
13,226
Reaction score
767
The C-16 slot is an oddity in the tri-service designation lists, having been tentatively allocated FIVE TIMES without ever being given to any real project in the end.

  • YC-16 was first reserved on 27 November 1973 for an unidentified Boeing aircraft, then cancelled.
  • C-16A was then reserved on 13 March 1975 for the De Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter but eventually this was designated as UV-18A.
  • C-16 was then reserved on 17 December 1975 for USAF with no further details, and cancelled on 30 April 1981.
  • C-16 was then reserved on 13 April 1981 for the C-X project, which eventually became the C-17.
  • C-16A was finally reserved for a version of the Cessna CE-208 Caravan intended for use by Army in FLIR missions against leftist rebels in El Salvador and the forces of Nicaragua, but the aircraft was not accepted.

As for C-30, it was apparently reserved for the USAF office; however, the designation was dropped and not reassigned for unknown reasons, probably for fear of possible confusion with C-130; of course, it could also be used for a classified project...
 

walter

ACCESS: Secret
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
376
Reaction score
124
Hi Stéphane,
Was the C-30 (KC-30) designation not connected with the Airbus A330 candidate tanker for the USAF before this became a new ball game?
I`ve seen the designation KC-30B for the RAAF aircraft and KC-30A for the proposed USAF model (which I have also seen as KC-45A). Moreover the RAF aircraft were also supposed to be C-30s, which is strange because why a USAF designation if that service has not (yet?) ordered it. ???
 

Stargazer2006

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2009
Messages
13,226
Reaction score
767
I didn't mention the KC-30 thing as I believe this was a strictly commercial designation used by Northrop Grumman as a lobbying device... However, KC-45A was olfficially assigned to the KC-X program, "as directed by the Chief of Staff of the U.S. Air Force", on 24 November 2006.
 

batoutahell

ACCESS: Restricted
Joined
Jan 24, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Stargazer2006 said:
I didn't mention the KC-30 thing as I believe this was a strictly commercial designation used by Northrop Grumman as a lobbying device... However, KC-45A was olfficially assigned to the KC-X program, "as directed by the Chief of Staff of the U.S. Air Force", on 24 November 2006.

The KC-45 designator was officially removed as the designator of the KC-X replacement by the USAF shortly after the contract with EADS/NG was declared null and void. EADS/Airbus continues to use the designator in their advertising. The USAF has publicly stated the new tanker will get a different designation (maybe KC-46?) The KC-30 designator is, as you state, strictly a commercial designation used by EADS/Airbus in marketing their a/c - I don't believe NG developed it as EADS had already sold tankers with that designator prior to NG coming onto the scene.
 

Andreas Parsch

ACCESS: Secret
Joined
Mar 2, 2006
Messages
246
Reaction score
21
Stargazer2006 said:
The C-16 slot is an oddity in the tri-service designation lists, having been tentatively allocated FIVE TIMES without ever being given to any real project in the end.

  • YC-16 was first reserved on 27 November 1973 for an unidentified Boeing aircraft, then cancelled.
  • C-16A was then reserved on 13 March 1975 for the De Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter but eventually this was designated as UV-18A.
  • C-16 was then reserved on 17 December 1975 for USAF with no further details, and cancelled on 30 April 1981.
  • C-16 was then reserved on 13 April 1981 for the C-X project, which eventually became the C-17.
  • C-16A was finally reserved for a version of the Cessna CE-208 Caravan intended for use by Army in FLIR missions against leftist rebels in El Salvador and the forces of Nicaragua, but the aircraft was not accepted.
No problems with the first 4 entries in this list, but as far as I know the fifth one (CE-208 Caravan) is nothing more than an unconfirmed rumour. Do you have any solid evidence for this alleged reservation of "C-16A"?
 

Stargazer2006

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2009
Messages
13,226
Reaction score
767
Andreas Parsch said:
Stargazer2006 said:
No problems with the first 4 entries in this list, but as far as I know the fifth one (CE-208 Caravan) is nothing more than an unconfirmed rumour. Do you have any solid evidence for this alleged reservation of "C-16A"?

I don't, I'm afraid. But then again, the involvement of the US in Latin American countries is not necessarily always very well documented and may take a while to get declassified... Let's assume for now, therefore, that it's just what you're saying, an "unconfirmed rumour".
 

circle-5

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
May 31, 2009
Messages
1,159
Reaction score
205
One important C-16 project was the Boeing Model 1050, which lost the USAF C-X competition to the McDonnell Douglas C-17. More info here.
 
Top