Lockheed C-130 Hercules Projects

OBB is right. :)
Btw the German version of this book is called "Militärflugzeuge 2000".
Before you ask, I do not have this book at hand.

How about this one....... from the collection.
The silver-painted, tee-tail model is not a proposed C-130 variant. It is the LG-202X concept (you can almost read "202X" on the fin). Lockheed (teamed with North American Rockwell Corporation) proposed the LG-202X in March 1972 for the Advanced Medium STOL Transport competition that spawned the YC-14 and YC-15 prototypes. The LG-202X was a fantastic design that incorporated blown leading and trailing edge flaps with four vectored thrust turbofan engines featuring Pegasus-style nozzles.

How about this one....... from the collection.
The silver-painted, tee-tail model is not a proposed C-130 variant. It is the LG-202X concept (you can almost read "202X" on the fin). Lockheed (teamed with North American Rockwell Corporation) proposed the LG-202X in March 1972 for the Advanced Medium STOL Transport competition that spawned the YC-14 and YC-15 prototypes. The LG-202X was a fantastic design that incorporated blown leading and trailing edge flaps with four vectored thrust turbofan engines featuring Pegasus-style nozzles.
I'm going to update this comment to say that the model is actually the LG-203X variant (not the LG-202X) of Lockheed's 1972 AMST proposal (the distinctive crew cabin and cockpit windscreen and paradrop windows of the C-130 forward fuselage are pretty good clues). See the drawings I added today to the forum: "advanced-medium-stol-transport-amst-and-its-predecessors" for the family. The LG-203X proposal for the AMST demonstrator prototype was to use significant portions of the C-130 mid and forward fuselage as a cost savings measure to meet the tight cost requirement of the AMST RFP.

Lockheed had old Project called C-130J,it was developed
from C-130E with increase aileron and rudder chords,wider u/c
track,improved braking system and additional armoured protection;
do you have a drawing to it ?,(of course I know there was a new Project
to lockheed in 1996 called C-130J ).

If it was the same design which I meant it,that's great ?.

Great find, Overscan!

Seller's description:
Twenty-plus years ago the U.S. Government approached Lockheed Martin to see if their C-130 Hercules would be a good ELINT (ELectronic INTelligence - Spy) platform. Photo No. 10 illustrates the winning Boeing RC-135 Rivet Joint platform currently in use. Lockheed, in-turn, approached the Penwal company and asked them to produce a concept model as per their, and the government's, specifications. Penwal produced the solid resin auction model offered. Concept vehicles, and concept models are extremely hard - if not impossible - things to come by. Concept models of classified military aircraft are practically unheard-of. The model is fairly large with a 15" wingspan and a length of 14 ½". The model is solid and fairly heavy weighing 1 pound 8 ounces. There is some age cracking in the fuselage at the front and back wing root (see photo No. 8). The wood stand is in very good shape, still retaining its felt pads. This was obtained from the estate sale of a former Lockheed employee. We contacted Penwal who told us that this was the only one of these produced. This C-130 (never even assigned a designation by the U.S. government, i.e. RC-130) could easily be the signature item in even the most complete collections.
The horror

Good Day All -

For something slightly different.... Floats tied ito the existing landing gear structure and were apparently removable. From the Matt Rodina Collection, Greater St. Louis Air and Space Museum.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zC-130 Floatplane Cut Sheet - Page 1.jpg
    zC-130 Floatplane Cut Sheet - Page 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 151
  • zC-130 Floatplane Cut Sheet - Page 2.jpg
    zC-130 Floatplane Cut Sheet - Page 2.jpg
    994.2 KB · Views: 169
I have to say the supersonic A400M would be my choice too.
39818686-0-image-a-18_1614377269114.jpg

For frig sake, another British military cost-cutting exercise/Government Integrated Review - really???
I've really got to the point of asking 'what the hell is Britain up to'? Does it really know what it wants it's military to do?
Seriously, when is Britain going to realise it's no longer an empire and can't be politically committing it's military all around the world as if it was a full fledgling empire of yester year.....

Regards
Pioneer

Sigh, the DailyFail at it again with their infotaiment.

This was always the plan, the C-130J has used up most of its fatigue life in the Middle East and all the short-fuselage Js have long gone. The 2010 SDSR moved forward its retirement to 2022. Then the 2015 SDSR changed this and decided 14 would be given new wing centre boxes to allow them to serve until 2030 (or even 2035) and the first of 14 was only completed last August by Marshalls.
I doubt it would save much as Marshalls is likely to get a big cancellation fee on the £110mil contract. If only the MoD could make its mind up then it might avoid wasting time and effort and money in the first place.

As Hood mentions upthread, I thought this was always the plan, just a matter of the when. Surely, actually a good sign, that the A400M is maturing nicely? Plus the Js must be absolutely knackered after the past two decades!

The idea of any turboprop being acoustically stealthy is...well.....

Aaaaahhh, gotchya. I'm aware the A400M has had historical issues but I'm not remotely au fait with any of the latest developments or any lack thereof. Hopefully, the Atlas will be ticking over nicely by the J's OSD.

On the last two pages of this company brochure the projects Lockheed C-130SS (Stretch STOL), L-100-50, L-400 Twin Hercules, the Air Cushion Landing System and Amphibian Hercules are advertised.
Ron Downey said:
Lockheed C-130 Hercules
A copy of the Lockheed company brochure on the C-130 Hercules aircraft. A large brochure with a lot of C-130 info. Dated March 1976. Credit: Box Art
Download here or here or here or here (2.1 Megs).
Source: http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/2021/03/lockheed-c-130-hercules.html
If this post has been posted before, please let me know, so I can delate it or move it to a more suitable topic.

Last edited:
Good Day All -

For something slightly different.... Floats tied ito the existing landing gear structure and were apparently removable. From the Matt Rodina Collection, Greater St. Louis Air and Space Museum.

Enjoy the Day! Mark
Meanwhile in Socom today...

"We want that."

Attachments

• 0717E81A-9761-48D2-ABDC-CCD338ED249A.jpeg
    0717E81A-9761-48D2-ABDC-CCD338ED249A.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 177
Just stumbled across this 'official' Lockheed Fort Worth Texas C-130 with fin-mounted radome and Aim-54 Phoenix LRAAM's.

(Source: John Freeman. 'The Greatest Planes That Never Were')

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• Lockheed C-130 AWACS radome & Aim-54 Phoenix.jpg
    Lockheed C-130 AWACS radome & Aim-54 Phoenix.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 236
AFSOC wishlist for amphibious MC-130J could turn into reality.

Cheers
Even non engineers could understand, this proposal is idiotic. The boundry layer effects on water takeoff UAVs expends nearly a 1/3 of stored energy just to take off. This is beyond that. Landing in difficult sea states limits where this albatross could even land in the ocean.

As stated, a nuke powered SES micro-carrier would be a start and then contemplate aircraft for the carrier. Inter-service rivalry will prevent this from ever happening.

AFSOC wishlist for amphibious MC-130J could turn into reality.

Cheers
Even non engineers could understand, this proposal is idiotic. The boundry layer effects on water takeoff UAVs expends nearly a 1/3 of stored energy just to take off. This is beyond that. Landing in difficult sea states limits where this albatross could even land in the ocean.

As stated, a nuke powered SES micro-carrier would be a start and then contemplate aircraft for the carrier. Inter-service rivalry will prevent this from ever happening.
A article on Micro Fast carriers...would argue that small enough hide/maneuver in large rivers and marsh would greatly enable USSOCOM.

I've really got to the point of asking 'what the hell is Britain up to'? Does it really know what it wants it's military to do?
Probably not, but neither does the USA. I'm having a hard time thinking of any notable powers that really do; my top answers would be China, Israel, Japan, Taiwan, and the ROK, as they have either the continuity of government and policy, or a stark strategic situation that mostly answers the question.

Probably not, but neither does the USA. I'm having a hard time thinking of any notable powers that really do; my top answers would be China, Israel, Japan, Taiwan, and the ROK, as they have either the continuity of government and policy, or a stark strategic situation that mostly answers the question.
Good analogy, for which I concur!

Regards
Pioneer

Just stumbled across this 'official' Lockheed Fort Worth Texas C-130 with fin-mounted radome and Aim-54 Phoenix LRAAM's.

(Source: John Freeman. 'The Greatest Planes That Never Were')

Regards
Pioneer

Tomcules ? (sounds very bad !) - Hercat ?

French AF's C-130H avionics upgrade by Sabena Technics and Collins-Aerospace:

Crew members of Marine's KC-130J that survived a crash collision with an f-35B awarded DFC:

Pilot interview:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom