Lockheed C-130 Hercules Projects

This is completely insane. Don't try that with a fully-packed cargo hold or paratroopers on board. ;D

Seen in the the report from Congressional research service "Defense’s 30-Year Aircraft Plan Reveals New Details":

"Even the C-130 Hercules, in production since 1956, makes
news in this plan. The Air Force intends to keep its existing
C-130s, but intends not to acquire any more combat
delivery C-130J Super Hercules.
While that does not mean
the end of the C-130 line, it is a departure for the Air Force
to no longer be acquiring that aircraft."

I wonder if this is in any way linked with the Boeing intend to possibly market the KC390

Source:

A fantastically capable airframe, something that should give pause for thought to developers of maritime recce aircraft. Far too good to just haul pallets.

A fantastically capable airframe, something that should give pause for thought to developers of maritime recce aircraft. Far too good to just haul pallets.

It has been suggested: http://www.navyrecognition.com/inde...e-solution-to-answer-uk-future-mpa-needs.html

It has been suggested: http://www.navyrecognition.com/inde...e-solution-to-answer-uk-future-mpa-needs.html

Thanks for sharing GTX.

It seems a very logical and dare I say cost-effective proposal, what with the use of existing surplus RAF C-130J's, Merlin Mk2 mission systems on a palletized roll on roll off payload, conformal weapons sponsons, underwing pylons, carousel launcher for sonobuyos, a 13.7 hours endurance, and
the ability to operate from shorter or even austere runways.......
I'm thinking of another Air Force that could incorporate such a platform, instead of the much more expensive Boeing P-8 Poseidon.

I do like the safety margin/aspect of four-engines, as so well articulated in the following:
"the safety of four turboprops on long and often low-level maritime patrol missions, where bird impacts are commonplace, just makes sense. Also, the C-130 has been proven in almost all flight regimes, from low-level interdiction to high level cruise and so on, whereas the twin CFM-56 turbofan engine equipped next generation 737 really was built to cruise up in the flight levels, not down in the salty air where the atmosphere is thick and tight maneuvers are often required."

Regards
Pioneer

Last edited:
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
According to Chris Reed (C-130 Hercules and its variants, Schiffer)
C-130 WBS was proposed in 1984 and stood for Wide Body Section; it used new GE34 engines.

The C-130 WBS is much earlier than that. Like the C-130 VLS in its earliest form and the L-100-50/-60B, it was introduced five years earlier, as evidenced by this article from Lockheed's Service News dated July-September 1979:

I feel somewhat uncomfortable with that L-100-60 design.......I immediately envisaged fuselage fatigue cracks and failings.......

Regards
Pioneer

Thanks for sharing GTX.

It seems a very logical and dare I say cost-effective proposal, what with the use of existing surplus RAF C-130J's, Merlin Mk2 mission systems on a palletized roll on roll off payload, conformal weapons sponsons, underwing pylons, carousel launcher for sonobuyos, a 13.7 hours endurance, and
the ability to operate from shorter or even austere runways.......
I'm thinking of another Air Force that could incorporate such a platform, instead of the much more expensive Boeing P-8 Poseidon.

I do like the safety margin/aspect of four-engines, as so well articulated in the following:
"the safety of four turboprops on long and often low-level maritime patrol missions, where bird impacts are commonplace, just makes sense. Also, the C-130 has been proven in almost all flight regimes, from low-level interdiction to high level cruise and so on, whereas the twin CFM-56 turbofan engine equipped next generation 737 really was built to cruise up in the flight levels, not down in the salty air where the atmosphere is thick and tight maneuvers are often required."

Regards
Pioneer

Lockheed continues to pitch the idea:

Lockheed Martin is working on a maritime patrol aircraft retrofit kit for the C-130 Hercules.

The kit is intended to "roll on" new C-130Js, as well as legacy variants of the military transport, with initial concepts calling for wing-mounted Harpoon anti-ship missiles and clusters of Hellfire air-to-ground missiles, as well as torpedoes to be stored in the cargo bay and launched off the back ramp.

The aircraft could sport a number of sensors including a multimode radar, a nose-mounted electro-optical/infrared camera, droppable sonar buoys, wing-tip-mounted electronic support measures, and a magnetic anomaly detector boom on the tail.

getasset.aspx

This seems to be asimple and effective method of increasing ability, there are many in service anyway. Why not?

attachment.php

www.dtic.mil/ndia/2016SOFIC/olmandeepdive.pdf

smart fuze? or -

Orbital ATK provides the GAU-23 BUSHMASTER Automatic Cannon and accompanying ammunition for US Air Force Special Operations Command AC-130Js. Concurrently, the company is making quantum leaps forward in producing and developing, its guided munitions – with major implications for the lethality and affordability of weapon systems on the “J” and other airborne platforms.

Tim Strusz, the company’s Director of Business for Precision Weapons, told the author that an expanded portfolio of possible munitions on special operations aircraft include the company’s Hatchet miniature precision strike weapon, and others in development or production. Beyond Hatchet, “we’re looking at guided 105mm, where we could extend the standoff range of the current 105mm by putting the precision contents of the precision guidance kit [PGK] we use on the155mm Howitzer artillery system, and modifying it, giving it the tail from our EXACTO [Extreme Accuracy Tasked Ordnance] programme and a GPS capability for the 105mm.”

Hi, everybody. I look for infos about special projects and studies based on the C130 Hercules. I read about the never built, 3 fans, ECX 130 variant in this forum, and I wonder if some other projects were made. There have been so many different Hercules, probably a few " lemons" never were actually built. These I am interested to learn about. Good day to all. HG

Welcome aboard Redwitch,

and for more Info about its variants,I will send a list from A-Z magazine about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see the Lm 100j be used as a cargo plane to transport brand new car models from America to Europe and vice versa.

I'd like to see the Lm 100j be used as a cargo plane to transport brand new car models from America to Europe and vice versa.

We do that by ship because it's vastly less expensive.
Switzerland has no outlets on the sea. I know that many cars of non-European brands are exported to Switzerland in this way.

Switzerland has no outlets on the sea. I know that many cars of non-European brands are exported to Switzerland in this way.

I'm quite surprised. I'd expect either rail or car-carrier trailer trucks to be much more economical. That's how new cars get to the middle of the United States, which is farther from the coast than Switzerland.

This is completely insane. Don't try that with a fully-packed cargo hold or paratroopers on board. ;D
Hello. a loop is absolutely not insane, ay type of airplane can do it, as long as the pilot is trained, does not have to pull hard at the end of it, ( not too low) and shuts power on going down. Although impressive, it is an easy maneuver, and i think test pilots at Lockheed have all done a few hours of aerobatics on their first training... It is true though that people inside better get strapped if they are a hundred paratroopers with equipment... regards. HG

Hi; I can bring a point: I live at the swiss border (on the french side.) all cars imported in europe, from america or elsewhere, arrive in big ships, containing up to 3000cars. usually unloaded in harbours like Rotterdam, Le Havre or Hambourg; Then, cars are transported on trucks, carrying up to 12 cars, to any inner country of the continent. Barges are sometimes used on a big river like the Rhin, getting deep into Germany, and further. The swiss get their cars by trucks. It is possible that some special deliveries occured, but unlikely, and there are very few airport in switzerland that could accomodate big planes carrying loads of cars. HG.

The swiss get their cars by trucks. It is possible that some special deliveries occured, but unlikely, and there are very few airport in switzerland that could accomodate big planes carrying loads of cars.
Also by train, after trans-shipment in the harbours you mentionned.

of course, trains do the job for big batches of cars. there is a very special delivery I thought of after posting yesterday's word. When the US president travels, he uses air force one, but an other cargo 747 takes all the special vehicles for he and his security team: armoured Hummers, "normal" cars etc plus the president's state car, nicknamed "the Beast", "Cadillac One", "First Car", code named "Stagecoach") The current model of presidential state car is a unique Cadillac. Sure enough the swiss controlers at Zurich would be much impressed to land and unload these at their airport...

of course, trains do the job for big batches of cars. there is a very special delivery I thought of after posting yesterday's word. When the US president travels, he uses air force one, but an other cargo 747 takes all the special vehicles for he and his security team: armoured Hummers, "normal" cars etc plus the president's state car, nicknamed "the Beast", "Cadillac One", "First Car", code named "Stagecoach") The current model of presidential state car is a unique Cadillac. Sure enough the swiss controlers at Zurich would be much impressed to land and unload these at their airport...

Not a cargo 747 (there are none in US service) but one or more C-5 or C-17 transports. The motorcade is usually a couple of Beasts, some SUVs for the Secret Service Counter-Assault Team, an ambulance, and various other vehicles.

Not a cargo 747 (there are none in US service) but one or more C-5 or C-17 transports. The motorcade is usually a couple of Beasts, some SUVs for the Secret Service Counter-Assault Team, an ambulance, and various other vehicles.

OK for a C5, quite roomy inside, but if they use a C17, they might be a little tight, with all this package!

The C-17 isn't that small (roughly 2/3 the cargo bay length of the C-5). The full motorcade and helicopter package will require multiple transport aircraft regardless of type. POTUS doesn't travel light...

My dears,

do you mean this one,I think it was not ?,and even in French language edition,and the text was
written by English ?,can you send the cover page my dear Antonio?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    867.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 2.png
    2.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 108
Probably the picture is taken from an issue of the book "Future Fighters and Combat Aircraft"by Bill Gunston.
Yes, it is from that book. Page 18 (in my French language edition)

Oddly, that page is from page 18 of my copy of Bill Gunston's "Warplanes of the Future," not "Future Fighters."

518G9sVT+xL._SY373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom