Lockheed C-130 Hercules Projects

Beautiful! Thank you AeroFranz
AeroFranz said:
Found this in an old box belonging to a NASA Ames engineer. I apologize for the poor quality. It's a post-QSRA proposal, dated 1982, for a USB C-130. i found a lot of accompanying calculations, and I believe the engines were supposed to be 4 x TF-34. Don't know how far it made it, probably not very much. i doubt Lockheed was ever involved. The picture shows a display model with the USB arrangement on one side and the standard T56 on the other.

You'd need something rather more powerful than the TF34 for a stol Hercules design like this (perhaps a turbofan based on the T56 gas generator?). Still, I'd love to see one done "full up".

elmayerle said:
You'd need something rather more powerful than the TF34 for a stol Hercules design like this (perhaps a turbofan based on the T56 gas generator?). Still, I'd love to see one done "full up".
Yes, I would personally like something with a little more kick then the standard TF34 but they have gotten the CF34-10 up to @ 20K in max sea level thrust... with it being a high bypass engine, and that blowing the flaps, it would work, but you would lose some of the performance and cut into some of the safety margin at slower speeds (assault landings) that the C-130 has won her name on. The YJ56-A-6 (or YT56-A-6 depending on source) was only used for the boundary layer even though it was a straight jet version of the T56. It would have been interesting to see what Allison would have rated it in thrust.

There was a reason why there was never a non-turboprop version of the C-130…

These are very valid points ;D. The NASA engineer must have felt the same way because I went back and checked the rest of the notes; besides the TF34-GE-2 calculations, there was a stash of program runs for climb performance using CFM56-2 rated at 24,000 pounds, as well as an engine map (in tabulated form) for the said engine from CFM international. That makes an interesting comparison with the proposed production YC-15.

In the notes, thrust was assumed to be 20,000 lbs. Thrust to weight was .552. based on QSRA experience, the CL approach was estimated at 5.5. That would have yielded an 821 ft landing field length at a gross weight of 145,000 ponds.

Other than the C-130, there were similar studies involving and E-2 with 4 turbofans and at a later date (1984) an A-3 that was supposed to continue the research where QSRA had left off. It was supposed to cover the high-end of the flight envelope. I attached another picture that came out in AvWeek - I apologize once again for the poor quality, it's the scan of an old xerox copy.

Attachments

• A-3 USB AvWeek.jpg
    A-3 USB AvWeek.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 785
AeroFranz said:
In the notes, thrust was assumed to be 20,000 lbs. Thrust to weight was .552. based on QSRA experience, the CL approach was estimated at 5.5. That would have yielded an 821 ft landing field length at a gross weight of 145,000 ponds.
Not just the thrust, we all know that there are many smaller turbofans that would fit and would work on the C-130... but that performance is that on paper. The problem would end up being the spool up time of the engines. You come in too shallow, or too slow and you need to put in more power to make that assault landing, where you are already on a thin line of margin of safety and you will not have enough time for the engines to spool up (or that was the case with the turbofans back in the day) Turboprops are instant torque, instant power. You push the throttles forward and the engines respond instantly.

AeroFranz said:
Other than the C-130, there were similar studies involving and E-2 with 4 turbofans and at a later date (1984) an A-3 that was supposed to continue the research where QSRA had left off. It was supposed to cover the high-end of the flight envelope. I attached another picture that came out in AvWeek - I apologize once again for the poor quality, it's the scan of an old xerox copy.

Very interesting proposal. I've cleaned up and reworked the picture to make the aircraft clearer. That's probably not 100% accurate, but given the quality of the original, that's all I could do. At least it gives a general idea of the configuration.

Attachments

• A-3 QSRA.gif
    A-3 QSRA.gif
    14 KB · Views: 815
That's pretty good! I have other photos of the same model, all unfortunately with the same poor quality. However, if someone has the 1984 issue of AvWeek this came from...I will look up the exact date.

pic from Avweek, slightly better quality

Attachments

• C-130 AEW.jpg
    C-130 AEW.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 420
Found some more AvWeek stuff. The captions pretty much sum it up. the first one, while not a variant per se, shows a C-130 doing something unusual, that is, dropping a mine. The second is just an artist's impression.

Attachments

• C-130 dropping mine.jpg
    C-130 dropping mine.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 652
  • Stretched L100.jpg
    Stretched L100.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 673
This pic was posted previously. I am adding it because it's decent quality and has the original AvWeek caption, designating it C-130H.

Attachments

• widebody C-130.jpg
    widebody C-130.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 328
Great find, Overscan!

Seller's description:
Twenty-plus years ago the U.S. Government approached Lockheed Martin to see if their C-130 Hercules would be a good ELINT (ELectronic INTelligence - Spy) platform. Photo No. 10 illustrates the winning Boeing RC-135 Rivet Joint platform currently in use. Lockheed, in-turn, approached the Penwal company and asked them to produce a concept model as per their, and the government's, specifications. Penwal produced the solid resin auction model offered. Concept vehicles, and concept models are extremely hard - if not impossible - things to come by. Concept models of classified military aircraft are practically unheard-of. The model is fairly large with a 15" wingspan and a length of 14 ½". The model is solid and fairly heavy weighing 1 pound 8 ounces. There is some age cracking in the fuselage at the front and back wing root (see photo No. 8). The wood stand is in very good shape, still retaining its felt pads. This was obtained from the estate sale of a former Lockheed employee. We contacted Penwal who told us that this was the only one of these produced. This C-130 (never even assigned a designation by the U.S. government, i.e. RC-130) could easily be the signature item in even the most complete collections.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqEOKo4E6(lkUi98BOr)i+l9e!~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqEOKo4E6(lkUi98BOr)i+l9e!~~60_3.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 181
  • $(KGrHqIOKjwE6lLij,CQBOr)hjQ,WQ~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqIOKjwE6lLij,CQBOr)hjQ,WQ~~60_3.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 153
  • $(KGrHqIOKnUE52l-OTySBOr)iKfyn!~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqIOKnUE52l-OTySBOr)iKfyn!~~60_3.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 167
  • $(KGrHqYOKiYE6MvLd2FEBOr)hVwE-w~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqYOKiYE6MvLd2FEBOr)hVwE-w~~60_3.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 187
  • $(KGrHqIOKioE6(bmqYMWBOr)h8S)4w~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqIOKioE6(bmqYMWBOr)h8S)4w~~60_3.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 162
  • $(KGrHqYOKm8E6IOJqMbiBOr)h)43uQ~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqYOKm8E6IOJqMbiBOr)h)43uQ~~60_3.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 267
  • $(KGrHqMOKoYE6fF9Tzg6BOr)ij64OQ~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqMOKoYE6fF9Tzg6BOr)ij64OQ~~60_3.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 272
  • $(KGrHqUOKpoE6W0oDoCnBOr)iYeCGw~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqUOKpoE6W0oDoCnBOr)iYeCGw~~60_3.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 298
Lockheed C-130 Stretched Hercules in South Korea markings model manufactured by Wesco found on eBay.

Source:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WESCO-LOCKHEED-C-130-STRETCHED-HERCULES-KOREAN-DISPLAY-DESK-MODEL-NICE-/170919768506?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cb9cb1ba

Seller's description:
UP FOR AUCTION IS A REALLY NICE EXAMLE OF A LOCKHEED C-130 (L-100-30) STRETCHED HERCULES IN THE MARKINGS OF THE KOREAN AIR FORCE. THE MODEL WAS MADE BY WESCO MODELS INT'L BACK IN THE 70s. THE MODEL IS MADE OF FIBERGLASS AND HAS METAL PROPS. THE MODEL MEASURES " LONG AND A W/S OF 15". IT IS MOUNTED ON A STANDARD WALNUT/ALUMINUM STAND. THE ONLY FLAW IS A SMALL CHIP IN THE PAINT ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE VERTICAL TAIL. IT REALLY DOES NOT DETRACT FROM THE MODEL. IT COULD BE TOUCHED UP EASILY.

My apologies if this aircraft was built for the Republic of Korea Air Force.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJ,!hIF!PJDmbo8BQQt3V1Q3Q~~60_57.JPG
    $(KGrHqJ,!hIF!PJDmbo8BQQt3V1Q3Q~~60_57.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 171
  • $(KGrHqR,!pgF!IIQVdv4BQQt33HhF!~~60_57.JPG
    $(KGrHqR,!pgF!IIQVdv4BQQt33HhF!~~60_57.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 179
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/fake-parts-hercules-aircraft-called-genuine-risk-014727597.html

Despite repeated government denials, CBC News has confirmed that some of Canada’s new Hercules military transport planes have counterfeit Chinese parts in their cockpits that could leave pilots with blank instrument panels in mid-flight.

Documents show the Canadian military has known about the bogus electronic chips in the giant Hercules C-130J aircraft since at least July 2012, but continued to hide the fact during a CBC News investigation months later.

The military continues to fly the new Hercs with the fake parts, and says it still has no immediate plans to replace them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980S-LOCKHEED-HERCULES-AEW-SPEC-SHEET-/370766672849?pt=UK_Collectables_Aeronautica_MJ&hash=item56536a73d1

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZ,!hIFEBm,g5MbBRKLO6CLj!~~60_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqZ,!hIFEBm,g5MbBRKLO6CLj!~~60_12.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 399
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1986/1986%20-%200300.html

Lockheed and GEC Avionics' joint venture for an airborne early warning variant of the C-130 Hercules is taking shape, with both companies promising to put a firm price on the aircraft very soon. The companies say that they are offering the same standard of AEW aircraft as the Boeing E-3 Airborne Warning and Control System (Awacs), but at a price nearer to that of the Grumman E-2 Hawkeye. The estimated cost for the AEW Hercules is between $55 million and $65 million.

The aircraft will incorporate the GEC Avionics APY-920 AEW system, a variant of the mission system avionics (MSA) originally developed for the Royal Air Force Nimrod Mk.3. Additional equipment to the basic C-130 includes forward and aft scanners, a Bendix RDR-1400 weather radar, ESM wing tip antennas, communication antennas, an upgraded cooling system, upgraded generators, a communication equipment pallet, and a dual LTN-73 inertial navigation system. All equipment in the cargo compartment is modularised into three sections. This allows easy removal, giving the AEW Hercules multimission
capability, and also helps to absorb noise.

The forward module contains the radar transmitter and six processing cabinets. Behind that is a control module containing six AEW operators and consoles, along with a crew rest area. A third module, located on the ramp, contains the communication cabin. A service door for the transmitter is added on the starboard side of the fuselage, adjacent to the forward pallet. It is similar to the aft paratroop doors and is located in the same area as the C-130 emergency escape door.

Windtunnel tests indicate that the AEW C-130 has a 2 - 3 per cent drag reduction on the basic Hercules because the fairing between the fuselage and the aft radome straightens the usually turbulent flow around the rear fuselage. The aircraft's stability has been verified.

"The beauty of the C-130 is that you have got a bigger volume and wider crew section—in fact the volume is about 40 per cent up on the Nimrod—so we can get more equipment in," says GEC Avionics. "What we have been able to do is put all the console area in the centre, where there is less vibration, and all the heavy equipment at the front. The modules provide vibration dampening and a cabin-like environment."Both GEC Avionics and Lockheed are pushing the C-130's worldwide presence as a main selling point. "Fiftyseven countries now fly Hercules. We are saying that, as a package, the AEW Hercules deal will cost significantly less because of its commonality. For many customers there will be no need for a new support system," says Lockheed.

Lockheed says that substantial interest is being shown, and the company would most likely go ahead with production as soon as it received one or two firm offers.Lockheed and GEC Avionics are currently ]debating whether or not to build a demonstrator aircraft. Initially they had thought it unnecessary because the Hercules is so well known, and a demonstrator would only add to the overall cost, but a firm decision has yet to be made.

Quote from what, where, when? Enquiring minds want to know®!

Thank you Overscan.

Attachments

• C-130 AEW GEC Marconi.jpg
    C-130 AEW GEC Marconi.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 447
Great find my dear Paul,

and here is an artist drawing to it.

Attachments

• C-130 AEW.JPG
    C-130 AEW.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 471
Great find, hesham! Any chance of a higher resolution image?

circle-5 said:
Great find, hesham! Any chance of a higher resolution image?

I will try again Circle-5,but my scanner has no more advanced options.

That's from my scanner

Attachments

• Lockheed Hercules AEW Marconi.jpg
    Lockheed Hercules AEW Marconi.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 814
Thank you both! Cleaned it up a bit...

Attachments

• Lockheed GEC Avionics C-130 AEW.jpg
    Lockheed GEC Avionics C-130 AEW.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 1,000
Either the artist spells his/her name backwards...or is the image flopped?

In the Recent PC and console game Resident Evil: Revelations there was an aircraft, a C-130 Hercules but with full jet engines and not turboprop ones!

So the Questions are:
A.: Were there such projects or prototypes to build/modify exisitng Hercules Transport planes with jet engines
B.: Could this be an efficient or viable upgrade for these crafts?

screenshot of the crashed plane:

Biohazard_Revelations_MMB_IBF_004.jpg

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2701.msg16823.html#msg16823

Thanks but only the first drawing with the swept wings look similar to it.

There's a C-130 AWACS thread, which can probably be merged into this one. Or this post can be moved into it. I have no opinion. I also don't know what is shown here below.

Topics were merged.

Attachments

• Lockheed C-130 Radar 01.gif
    Lockheed C-130 Radar 01.gif
    124.4 KB · Views: 866
  • Lockheed C-130 Radar 02.gif
    Lockheed C-130 Radar 02.gif
    134.5 KB · Views: 810
Some pics

C-130H-AEW-3-View-1-S.jpg

C-130H-AEW-Cutaway-S.jpg

nc130h.jpg

mmc-053.jpg

Attachments

• C-130H-AEW-3-View-1-S.jpg
    C-130H-AEW-3-View-1-S.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 147
  • C-130H-AEW-Cutaway-S.jpg
    C-130H-AEW-Cutaway-S.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 120
  • mmc-053.jpg
    mmc-053.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 126
Lockheed Martin officials submitted a Program Notification Letter to the Federal Aviation Administration on 21 January 2014 for a type design update for the Model L-382J transport, a civil-certified variant of the C-130J Super Hercules.
First flight of the LM-100J is expected in the 2017 timeframe.

Link: http://lockheedmartin.com/us/products/LM-100J.html

Attachments

• 2014_News_Web_LM100J_lead_smaller_lm100j_1269967624_2834.jpg
    2014_News_Web_LM100J_lead_smaller_lm100j_1269967624_2834.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,454
"Lockheed Martin Files For FAA Type Design Update"

Source:
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/press-releases/2014/february/140203ae_lockheed-martin-files-faa-type-design-update.html

MARIETTA, Ga., Feb. 3, 2014 – Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] officials submitted a Program Notification Letter to the Federal Aviation Administration on Jan. 21, 2014, for a type design update for the Lockheed Martin Model L-382J airplane, a civil-certified variant of the proven C-130J Super Hercules to be marketed as the LM-100J.

More than 100 L-100s, which were the commercial variant of the first generation C-130, were produced from 1964-1992 at the then Lockheed-Georgia Co., Marietta, Ga., facility. Many of those airlifters are still operated worldwide by commercial and government customers.

“The LM-100J is a natural expansion of the Super Hercules family. It is a modern answer to the existing, multi-tasked L-100 airlift fleet which, true to Hercules form, is a workhorse that has been a critical cargo asset for 40 years,” said George Shultz, vice president and general manager, C-130 Programs. “Our customers and legacy L-100 operators tell us that the best replacement for an L-100 is an advanced version of the same aircraft. The LM-100J is that aircraft.”

Through select design changes, the LM-100J will perform as a civil multi-purpose air freighter capable of rapid and efficient transport of cargo. The LM-100J is expected to be an efficient and ideal airlift solution when delivering bulk and oversize cargo particularly to austere locations worldwide.

The LM-100J incorporates technological developments and improvements over the existing L-100s at a competitive price that results from years of C-130J operational experience, including more than 1 million fleetwide flight hours. The result of this experience and advancement translates to an aircraft that will deliver reliable service in a flexible airframe for decades to come.

“With the LM-100J, we are leveraging the proven technology and capabilities of the C-130J Super Hercules to offer a modern, flexible commercial aircraft that is ready to deliver freight and support critical civilian missions — anywhere, anytime,” said Jack Crisler, vice president, Business Development for Air Mobility, Special Operations and Maritime Programs.

As it is based on the operational C-130J, the civil variant LM-100J can operate from short, unprepared airfields without ground support equipment. It requires minimal material handling equipment and enables rapid onload and offload at truck-bed height. Growth provisions built into the LM-100J will enable it to support a variety of future missions including aerial spray, aerial firefighting and delivery, medevac/air ambulance, humanitarian aid and VIP transport.

Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., Lockheed Martin is a global security and aerospace company that employs approximately 115,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products and services. The Corporation’s net sales for 2013 were $45.4 billio

From Flieger Revue 10/1979,

here is some details about C-130 VLS,but only by German language.

Attachments

• C-130.png
    C-130.png
    191.6 KB · Views: 900
Back
Top Bottom