Buk-M3 Viking's 9M317ME missile question.

stealthflanker

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Greetings. So yeah as in title.

I looked at this piece of brochure depicting components of the Buk M3 "Viking" Missile. This Buk variant is said to be the one using Active Radar Homing missile, which should be common with the naval version. The active version is supposedly designated "9M317MA" Where "A" means "Aktivnaya". While earlier Shtil (Naval Buk) was using a SARH guided 9M317ME missile. Logically the missile, for export version would have been designated "9M317MAE" or "9M317MEA" a whole new designation.

Source for the 9M317MA

Curiously in this brochure i see the mention of "9M317ME" Which naturally raises question on whether this export version will actually use SARH instead of the ARH.

Maybe someone can give me some enlightment of the nature. Thank you for your attention.

eg3nyh10.jpg

Well, as if it says here that the seeker is quite active. And accordingly, the export version of the rocket must also have the same homing head:

Yeah, just that why it has the same 9M317ME designation as SARH's Shtil ? why not "MAE" or "MEA". That's the question here.