1.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 482
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
That is a experimental aircraft by German manufacture BUDIG
it was used in 1931 for test in flight stably

that so far i understand the french text.

but i have not found any information about BUDIG

A short summary from Journal of the Aeronautical Sciences (Institute of the Aeronautical Sciences), Vol. 5, No. 10 (1938), pp. 413-420.

Tests of the Budig Airplane with Beating Wings. Results obtained with the Budig airplane with beating wings which utilize the aerodynamic effects of oblique attack. When the wind reaches the profile with a lateral deflection, the breaking away of the flow is decreased at the same time that the depression at the leading edge increases. In a wind of 10 to 20 meters per second there were three beatings per second, each wing having an amplitude of 50 cm. Displacement of the center of gravity of each wing during the beatings necessitated a dynamic balancing which was obtained by a counter weight placed inside the wing tips. Short note. Les Ailes, May 12, 1938, page 9, 1 illus.

http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/pdf/10.2514/8.667

Attachments

• Budig.jpg
    Budig.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 368
Actually, here is the 1938 Budig aircraft mentioned in the item from the previous post. A different bird altogether, but the same guy:

Attachments

• Budig1938.jpg
    Budig1938.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 374
From Jet & Prop 4/2001,

here is the Budig aircraft and two patent projects.

Attachments

• Budig-7.png
    Budig-7.png
    758.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Budig-6.png
    Budig-6.png
    370.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Budig-5.png
    Budig-5.png
    537.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Budig-4-2.png
    Budig-4-2.png
    351.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Budig-4.png
    Budig-4.png
    476.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Budig-3.png
    Budig-3.png
    1 MB · Views: 74
  • Budig-2.png
    Budig-2.png
    737.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Budig-1.png
    Budig-1.png
    527.8 KB · Views: 77
Honestly, I haven't understood the idea of the "beating wing" still yet, the captions
are just speaking of an automatic longitudinal stabilisation, and I cannot find still yet
a clue for a periodic movement. Unfortuantely the caption of "Budig-5" says, that there's
no comprehensive description, because it would have used up too much space in that article . :-\

My dear Jemiba,

we can transfer this topic to Early Aircraft Projects section,that's because in picture 7,
there is anther project for him,appeared in 1925,called Zweisitzer,and here is its data.

Attachments

• Budig-8.png
    Budig-8.png
    387.6 KB · Views: 52
Built and flown in as experimental aircraft only, and the proposed variant with cabin
actually can be regarded as a project, so I moved it here.
Thanks for the link to the pdf-file, it explains the ideas behind it quite well, I think:
The canard wing principally had an adjustable airfoil, working fully automatic, without any
possibility of interference by the pilot. The forward upper part was spring loaded, and pressed
down by the slipstream. When the aircraft stalled, the canard wing developed no lift at all,
so the nose of the aircraft would drop. With the angle of attack decreasing, the wing would
gain more and more a smooth and low airfoil again. This system was not only meant to avoid
stalls, but to alleviate gusts, too. Budig also claimed, that headwinds would automatically lead
to a reduction of the angle of attack, so to a decrease of drag and in a higher airspeed.

As a side note, the article says, that those Budig designs weren't true canards, because they
still had a conventional tail.

Attachments

• Budig-wing.jpg
    Budig-wing.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 57
Also from l'Aeronautique 1933.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    517.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 2.png
    2.png
    409.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 3.png
    3.png
    428.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 4.png
    4.png
    471.2 KB · Views: 45
From TU 230 & 175,

I think he was the same guy ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 1-1.png
    1-1.png
    123.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 1-2.png
    1-2.png
    224.2 KB · Views: 46
From TU 164,

a more Info,but I am confused,was him a French ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    226.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 2.png
    2.png
    169.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 3.png
    3.png
    143.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 4.png
    4.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 5.png
    5.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Correct, that text speaks of "F. Budig" as a Frenchman, whereas in #4 "M. Budig" is mentioned as a German ...

In "M. Budig", the M probably only means Monsieur.

According to the various snippets above There are 2 Budigs; Friedrich, father of Jean. Both built airplanes.
In spite of his definitely German name, Friedrich is said to be born and educated in Lille, France.

Note that post #4 says that Jean made some of his flight attempts on lac de Constance (Bodensee), which could be either in Germany or Switzerland. As far as I can see, it does not say anything about Budig's citizenship.

I don't know where and when he was born . He learnt to fly in France , and worked in 1914 with Rigaud at a "stabilisateur automatique" (automatic stabilizer) for the "Concours de l'union pour la sécurité aérienne" .
He patented it in Germany in 1921.
https://depatisnet.dpma.de/DepatisNet/depatisnet?action=pdf&docid=DE000000383660A&xxxfull=1

During the War , he worked for Rumpler ( Berlin)

In the twenties , he built some gliders and light planes in Berlin-Grünau (source is Bruno Lange's books) , all fitted with the automatic stabiliser :
http://claudel.dopp.free.fr/Les_planeurs/Descriptions_planeurs/Budig/Budig.htm

Later , he patented and built a "wing" for boats :
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k6554360b/f73.image.r=Friedrich Budig?rk=42918;4

He still had connection with France :
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k6553549p/f7.image.r=Friedrich Budig?rk=85837;2

In the thirties , he patented , built and tried a flapping wing device (see #15)

In the patents , his living place is usually Germany (one time England)
https://depatisnet.dpma.de/DepatisN...einsteiger&action=treffer&firstdoc=1#errormsg

In the fifties , he still patented his flapping wing , and built it again with Dr. h.c. Georg von Opel , but it was not finished ...

He died in 1972 at the Bodensee . (Bruno Lange)