• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

British Naval projects from late 70's

Antonio

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
Aviation & marine International September 1979

Vickers Macship
Helicopter/Aircraft carrier cruiser
Displacement: 12,500 t

Vosper Harrier Carrier
Lightweight aircraft carrier
Dispalcement: 7,200 t full load

Attachments

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
Vickers LF Type 1536
Frigate
Displacement: 1,530 t

Vickers GPV Type 634
Corvette
Displacement: 1,165 full load

Attachments

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
Brooke Marine 67 m corvette
Displacement: 560 t standard

Yarrow light frigate
Displacement: 1,200 t approx.

Attachments

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
Vickers Type 100
Pocket submarine
Displacement: 77 t surfaced, 95 t dived

Attachments

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
Brooke Marine 52.5 FCP
Missile fast patrol craft
Displacement: 325 t standard

Brooke Marine 45 m FPB
Missile fast patrol craft
Displacement: not known

Vosper Tenacity type
Missile fast attack craft
Displacement: 250 t

Attachments

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
British Hovercraft BH.7 Mk 6
Attack hovercraft
Weight: 91 t

Hovermarine Type 533
Air Cushion Attack vehicle
Weight: 110 t

Vosper Type VT-2
Attack hovercraft
Weight: 100 t

Attachments

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
Vosper 65 m Surveillance Ship
Offshore PAtrol Vessel
Displacement: 650 t

Attachments

Eagle2009

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
I agree, great images!

The BH.7 Mark 6 is a really interesting concept indeed. We know Iran received two BH.7 (I want to say it was a Mark 5) that were armed with Surface-to-Surface missiles but there seems to be some confusion as the whether they were Standard missiles or Sea Killers. Standard missiles could be used as de facto Anti-shipping missiles but images of these armed BH.7s show the launch tubes and they dont look like Standard Launchers. Regardless, these Mark 5s were something of a half-way design compared to this Mark 6 concept.

Of interesting note, Iran has recently rearmed at least one of the their BH.7 Mk 5 with Noor/C-802 AshMs.

Some images of the Armed BH.7 Mk 5:

Attachments

thebig C

Reaction score
Interesting render of a Yarrow 1600t Corvette. Dated 1980....no reference to the Length/draught/armament. Looks like 4.5 Mount on front along with ASW missiles (poss Bofors?) with asm aft along with another gun. Possibly a variant of the Yarrow "Light Frigate" model above?! A few other nice pics on the website...link below, with more renders by the artist who IMO is excellent. I believe in the early 1970s the Canadians were looking seriously at a Yarrow 1100t Corvette....perhaps these are a follow-on design.
http://www.duncanlamontsdesignandpix.com/photo10114282.html

C

thebig C

Reaction score
God....I tried posting the pic and it didn't happen. I am so inept at that....I should just stick to links:)

Thiel

Reaction score
thebig C said:
Interesting render of a Yarrow 1600t Corvette. Dated 1980....no reference to the Length/draught/armament. Looks like 4.5 Mount on front along with ASW missiles (poss Bofors?) with asm aft along with another gun. Possibly a variant of the Yarrow "Light Frigate" model above?! A few other nice pics on the website...link below, with more renders by the artist who IMO is excellent. I believe in the early 1970s the Canadians were looking seriously at a Yarrow 1100t Corvette....perhaps these are a follow-on design.

C
The ASW mortar is definitely the two barrel version of the Bofors 375mm Rocket Launcher

thebig C

Reaction score
Thiel said:
thebig C said:

C
The ASW mortar is definitely the two barrel version of the Bofors 375mm Rocket Launcher
Yep....looked it up this evening....the two barrel version was developed in 1972...so that would be about right for a late 1970s vessel design.

pathology_doc

Reaction score
Eagle2009 said:
I agree, great images!

The BH.7 Mark 6 is a really interesting concept indeed. We know Iran received two BH.7 (I want to say it was a Mark 5) that were armed with Surface-to-Surface missiles but there seems to be some confusion as the whether they were Standard missiles or Sea Killers. Standard missiles could be used as de facto Anti-shipping missiles but images of these armed BH.7s show the launch tubes and they dont look like Standard Launchers. Regardless, these Mark 5s were something of a half-way design compared to this Mark 6 concept.

Of interesting note, Iran has recently rearmed at least one of the their BH.7 Mk 5 with Noor/C-802 AshMs.

I assume that the missile launchers' exhaust efflux has been shown NOT to melt or otherwise endanger the integrity of the rubber skirts?

Eagle2009

Reaction score
Technically on the BH.7 Mk 5 had a modified deck design that left space for the launchers in the first place so the exhaust from the launched missile should be just far enough away not to damage the rubber skirt. I assume anyway, there is no record of Iran ever using the armed BH.7s.

Also, in the months since I posted that last post I have confirmed 100% that the missile tubes on those BH.7s (as originally fitted during the era of the Shah) were infact Standard missiles. If you compare the launchers with those fitted to Taiwan's modified WWII-era destroyers (now retired), they match perfectly. Now how such a system would work is questionable since the BH.7s have no visible fire control radar to guide the SM-1s. But I am certain that's what missiles those Mk5s were fitted for (but whether they were ever ARMED with them is another story entirely).

RP1

I see the truth in it.
Reaction score
Website
rp-one.net
Were they SARH Standard or ARM Standard? They look like the launchers on the recent Iranian corvettes.

RP1

TomS

Reaction score
Iran had some Standard Missile box launchers on old (pre-Revolution) DDs. These were apparently RIM-66B (SARH) rather than RGM-66D (ARM) but were intended only for surface use. The Gearings never had a dedicated radar either; it looks like they used CW illumination piggybacked on the gun fire control radar. It's possible that the BH-7 also pushed CW signals through another antenna (maybe a modification of the nav radar?)

Eagle2009

Reaction score
TomS,

My theory is the Shah fully intended to purchase the RGM-66 at a later date and they simply made due with what they were supplied.

Also, the Standard launchers fitted to the BH.7mk5s were actually different than those fitted to Iran's long retired WWII-era destroyers. The launchers used on those are actually TWIN launhcers, in that there are two RIM-66Bs in each "box", one stacked infront of the other. On the front of said box there is a hinged door that lifts the forward missile up (so its exhaust doesn't hit the missile at the back of the box directly I assume).

thebig C

Reaction score
Any renders of the Future Light Frigate, ASW Light Frigate and ASW Corvette....which were design studies from the 1970s?
Also, I've read that there was a Yarrow 1100 ton Corvette as a smaller brother to the design above...any info or pics?

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
Eagle2009 said:
I agree, great images!

To go slightly OT for a moment, from earlier in the decade:

(h/t PaulMM)

CJGibson

Reaction score
Perhaps this is a model of one of the corvettes mentioned above.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22543.msg228128.html#msg228128

Chris

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score

(The Mk 20 is posted for comparison, since it was a 1980's design.)

http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8035&start=10

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
By the way, came across this while trying to find more info on the Mk 20: http://www.jameshovercraft.co.uk/hover/hovermus/bhcbh7.php