hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
From British Civil Aircraft since 1919,

Mr. F. W. Broughton built a single seat parasol wing light monoplane,powered by one 30 hp Carden,developed from Perman Parasol,called Broughton-Blayney Brawney.

Attachments

• ٢٠٢٠٠٥١٤_١٥٥٥٣١.jpg
    ٢٠٢٠٠٥١٤_١٥٥٥٣١.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Mr. F. W. Broughton built a single seat parasol wing light monoplane,powered by one 30 hp Carden,developed from Perman Parasol,called Broughton-Blayney Brawney.

And all on offer for £195 apparently ;)

Actually, Frank William Broughton built three such Brawney monoplanes in late 1936. F.W. Broughton was also the designer of the earlier Perman Parasol (G-ADZX, aka the Perman Grasshopper).

The latter came from a collaboration with Mignet Flea-owner Edgar George Perman. That Flea, G-ADZX, was rebuilt into the sole Perman Parasol, flown by 23 May 1936 by A.E. Clouston. [1] Powerplant for the Parasol is usually listed as a Carden-Ford. It was actually a 'Perman-Ford' which I assume to mean a Carden-like conversion performed by E.G. Perman. The Perman Parasol met its end on 31 Jul 1937 in a hangar fire.

F.W. Broughton parted ways with Edgar Perman to join forces with Adolf Jarvis Blayney to form the Broughton Blayney Aircraft Co, Ltd. A.J. Blayney provided the finances and connections. Blayney was a director of Paddington-based T.H. Gill & Son Ltd., the custom auto-body makers who built the Brawney airframes.

The idea behind all of these aircraft was that no pilot's certificate was needed for aircraft weighting less than 600 lbs (the Brawney weighing only 450 lbs). Construction was begun on five Brawney airframes but only three were completed. All three of those were out of service within a year of being built:

21 March 1937, G-AENM (c/n BB/50) spun in at Hanworth Aerodrome, killing Alexander Scaife.

11 June 1937, G-AERF (c/n BB/51) crashed into Bromley Hill Cemetery, Catford, killing Alf Bacon.
-- https://www.airport-data.com/images/aircraft/001/165/001165043.jpg

22 Dec. 1937, G-AERG (c/n BB/52) withdrawn from use.

The Brawney powerplant was, of course, a converted Ford Model C Ten auto engine modified for aviation use by Carden Aero Engines Limited of Heston.

[1] In his autobiography, test pilot A.E. Clouston refers to both the Parasol and Brawney as the Clouston Midget. I'm not sure why. FW Broughton seemed happy to apply owners' names to airframes. But, AFAIK, Arthur Clouston never owned any of these aircraft.

Attachments

• Brawney-1.jpg
    Brawney-1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 133

here is a single seat low-wing ultra-light monoplane,designed by Mr. F. S. Barnwell,and called
B.S.W. MK.1.

Attachments

• ٢٠٢٠٠٥١٥_١٧٣٢٤٤.jpg
    ٢٠٢٠٠٥١٥_١٧٣٢٤٤.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Barnwell, not Branwell. Capt. Frank Barnwell was Bristol's chief designer, responsible for the Bristol Fighter, Bulldog and Blenheim, rather more notably than the rather primitive, underpowered ultralight in which he lost his life when, on its second flight, it stalled and dived in at Whitchurch - which, at the inquest into his death, was attributed to a lack of experience flying light aeroplanes (only a few hours in the preceding five years) - although some spoke of the BSW Mk. 1 as an accident waiting to happen..

Mr. F. W. Gunton a single seat ultra-light monoplane in 1939,called Special,construction was never completed.

Attachments

• ٢٠٢٠٠٥١٥_١٧٤٢٣٧.jpg
    ٢٠٢٠٠٥١٥_١٧٤٢٣٧.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 88
Apparently the Gunton Special was a single seat version of the Pietenpol Air Camper, powered by a 40hp ABC Scorpion engine. Construction was nearly complete when war broke out, as a result of which it was stored for the duration. Contrary to what Jackson says, Ord-Hume contends that no further work was undertaken by Bracewell, post-war, and the partly completed aeroplane was scrapped in February 1947.

The de Bruyne aircraft.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    427.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 2.png
    2.png
    679.7 KB · Views: 101
The Snark survived until about 1947, stored in the open at Burton Garage, Chippenham, Wiltshire. The Ladybird may survive today. It is said to have been stored in a barn in the Peterborough area since the outbreak of the last war. However there has been no report of it for decades but nor has there been any of its demise. Thus the story may be apocryphal.
Norman de Bruyne is perhaps more famous today for his glues than his aeroplanes!

here is a Hinkler Ibis.

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    581.1 KB · Views: 104
Although the original Ibis was scrapped in 1959, a full scale replica was built in Australia in 1987/88 and this is on display in the Hinkler museum at Bundaberg, Queensland.

here is a Monoplane,designed by Mr. R. C. Howitt.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    631 KB · Views: 86

here is a Hordern-Richmond Autoplane

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    511.3 KB · Views: 91

here is a McClure Aircraft.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    164 KB · Views: 63

here is a Wheeler Slymph light airplane.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    544.9 KB · Views: 64

here is a Watkinson Dinbat light airplane.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    435.4 KB · Views: 80
From Ailes 1938,

the Chilton.

Attachments

• Les_Ailes___journal_hebdomadaire_[...]_bpt6k6555883c_9.jpeg
    Les_Ailes___journal_hebdomadaire_[...]_bpt6k6555883c_9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 81

The Martin Monoplane.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    679.7 KB · Views: 82
I believe that the Martin Monoplane is extant - albeit that its wings, which came from a D.H.53, went back to a D.H.53 (G-EBQP). Within the last couple of years I've seen a photo of the fuselage of G-AEYY. It was on one of the aviation history forums. I've tried to find it again but, as is so often the way, I've found not a trace. It'll turn up when I give up trying!

here is a Parmentier Wee Mite.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    530.9 KB · Views: 68
From Ailes 1938,

the Chilton.

An image of the Chilton within the Shuttleworth Collection hangars and some other light aircraft beauties the collection has in its hangars. The Southern Martlet is an interesting aircraft.

Attachments

• ANEC II.jpg
    ANEC II.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Chilton.jpg
    Chilton.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Comper Swift.jpg
    Comper Swift.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Mew Gull and Comet.jpg
    Mew Gull and Comet.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Southern Martlet.jpg
    Southern Martlet.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 58

The Taylor Experimerntal.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    601.3 KB · Views: 65
I believe that the Martin Monoplane is extant - albeit that its wings, which came from a D.H.53, went back to a D.H.53 (G-EBQP). Within the last couple of years I've seen a photo of the fuselage of G-AEYY. It was on one of the aviation history forums. I've tried to find it again but, as is so often the way, I've found not a trace. It'll turn up when I give up trying!
A A Yes I have the Martin Monoplane Its in my father's workshop. I am gathering detail and drawings for a possible rebuild.
Dave

A A Yes I have the Martin Monoplane Its in my father's workshop. I am gathering detail and drawings for a possible rebuild.
Dave

Attachments

• 122837133_3385440814881097_1473171458430698480_o.jpg
    122837133_3385440814881097_1473171458430698480_o.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 122866231_3385440438214468_5801215239173718978_o.jpg
    122866231_3385440438214468_5801215239173718978_o.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 70
Yes, The the wings and parts of the tail flying surface's went on to build a new DH.53 Hummingbird using what information the got from the wings so they got the registration G-EBQP. Their is a few pages on the DH.53 restoration in the latest Aeroplane Monthly. The Hummingbird is in the De Havilland museum. They are still hoping to fly it when it is finished.
Dave

I only have details and parts for the Martin Monoplane. I hope to restore it to an airworthy , but I have no intentions of flying it myself. But I have a few other projects to finish before that. The fuselage needs work as the casein glue has failed.

Have two classic motorcycle to finish off. Also get my second Kirby Kite 1, built 1937 finished of with the help of a friend and get down and start book with many photos of Fairey Battles lost during the Battle of France 1940.
Dave

From Aerohile 1934,

Schackleton-Murray SM.1.

Attachments

• 8-12-1934.png
    8-12-1934.png
    459.7 KB · Views: 62
From British Civil Aircraft Vol.2,

here is a Gnosspelius Gull.

Attachments

• ٢٠٢١٠٤٢٦_٠٤٢٩٤٥.jpg
    ٢٠٢١٠٤٢٦_٠٤٢٩٤٥.jpg