British Aerospace Type 849 NGMR

zebedee

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Looking through the type list document at the Avro Heritage site there is a reference and side view to the British Aerospace Type 849 NGMR or Next Generation Maritime Reconnaissance aircraft.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.fildes3/Type%20602%20to%20862

Anyone got anymore info on this beast...?

Oh... and there are quite a few other jems in there... :)

Zeb

Attachments

• ngmr.jpg
    ngmr.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 518
Patience is a virtue that will be rewarded...

Chris

Thanks for sharing that link zebedee, it's a fascinating list.

Chris, you're a terrible tease :D

Hey great find, and very interesting!!! Thanks

Would like to know more about:

Avro Type 719 (advanced Shackleton, with Napier Nomad 3 engines)
Hawker-Siddeley Type 748AEW (FASS) (what is FASS?)
Hawker-Siddeley Type 748COD for U.S Navy
Type 820-to-Type 826 - military transport aircraft adoptions of the Airbus A300B-2

Regards
Pioneer

Pioneer said:
Hawker-Siddeley Type 748AEW (FASS) (what is FASS?)

While searching that concept I ran into a link about the Nimrod AEW3 that mentioned it's radar system as a Fore-Aft Scanner System (hence FASS) where instead of a large spinning radome on top to get 360° coverage, there was one system in the nose and one in the tail that would in theory would sweep 180° each and synchronize to provide to provide full 360° coverage. I assume that is what the FASS means in correlation, though such a system seems way to bulky, though it might be aerodynamically more sound. I never noticed or realized the Nimrod AEW as having a bulbous tail as well as nose, so I always figured that it was just some kind of "incomplete coverage" AWACS of sorts lol.

The NGMR looks a lot like a HS.146-100 fuselage (possibly shortened) with a new mid-mounted wing and the engines replaced with turboprops, given the date I would guess that they were to have been Rolls Royce/Turbomeca RTM.322-11's (the turboprop version of the RTM-322 that powers the Merlin, WAH-64D Apache and NH.90). The retractable dome in the rear fuselage would likely have been a Searchwater.

Thanks for the link!

"I always figured that it was just some kind of "incomplete coverage" AWACS of sorts lol."

Quite the reverse actually.

You want to read "The Admiralty and AEW", available from all good booksellers.

Chris

CJGibson said:
"I always figured that it was just some kind of "incomplete coverage" AWACS of sorts lol."

Quite the reverse actually.

You want to read "The Admiralty and AEW", available from all good booksellers.

Chris

I meant as in myself only knowing of the bulbous nose but not of the tail containing a second set to complete the coverage.

JFC Fuller said:
The NGMR looks a lot like a HS.146-100 fuselage (possibly shortened) with a new mid-mounted wing and the engines replaced with turboprops...

Funny... thats pretty much how i described it over on the Key forum...!

Zeb

Back
Top Bottom