A schedule moved? Well THAT'S never happened in the history of space flight. *cough* Falcon Heavy *cough*, *cough*. And how about Blue Origin? Guess they aren't serious either eh? I mean how many slips has their New Shepard had?

Ah I see, you don't bother to read what I'm posting. Or perhaps you don't understand a word. Well, I'm done with you, plus derailing this thread too much.

Archibald said:
This is a much, much more serious source thant freakkin' wikipedia.

So what? You're saying the three flights listed at the Wiki page are lies? Do tell. As for Space Ship One and Space Ship Two (Virgin Galactic) being different vehicles, that goes without saying. They're the same GROUP of people though. Or did you not know that?

Archibald said:
Ah I see, you don't bother to read what I'm posting. Or perhaps you don't understand a word. Well, I'm done with you, plus derailing this thread too much.

Oh, don't worry. After their first flight to space I'll be sure to remind you of it.

is this real/altered or ps?

the fuselage looks really small in diameter. Would you have to crawl to reach your seating/kneeling/whatever position for the flight?

I am a fan, don't take me wrong but this looks to me weird.

It is pure photoshop/CG. Boom's own website doesn't own up to building planes yet, aside from the XB-1 demonstrator aircraft.

As for the size of it, things may have been incorrectly scaled, but the Boom is laid out like a executive jet, or, perhaps the Convair 58-9 that was never built. It's only meant to be two abreast.

Yes, for a moment I wondered if I wasn't paying sufficient attention to things and they went into production without my noticing it in the news. But it isn't real just yet.

That latest artwork has a wing that looks decidedly Concorde related. Certainly different to everything they have had so far.

I just came back from watching their artwork on their website and... This is the thing (at least as engineered by their marketing dept).

It seems they have lengthened the fuselage and covered it with windows all along. Looks really narrow as noted (compare the diameter of the front wheels with that of a fuselage section).

What strikes me the most is the never ending fuselage length fitted to a rear mounted small delta wing. I mean see it in terms of alpha and inertia: this thing looks twitchy to land.

I would definitively have kept the short fuselage model.

mrmalaya said:
That latest artwork has a wing that looks decidedly Concord related. Certainly different to everything they have had so far.

I haven't been to their website lately, until I read your post. Yeah, it's definitely turned into a baby Concorde.

Better make sure you've hit the head before boarding. :eek:

That intake location seems bad given the high alpha approach this thing will need. Feeding the intake by vortex seems risky.

A Concorde half-scale replica !
airliner-hero.jpg

Boom XB-1 schedule slips, while JAL eyes Overture

Boom Technology has pushed the first flight of its XB-1 demonstrator back to 2020, as it works with Japan Airlines on its planned Overture airliner.

Boom chief executive Brett Scholl says the XB-1 – which is one-third the size of the Overture – will be rolled out in December 2019, about six months later than previously planned. He attributed the decision to a safety enhancement.

“Whenever it comes to safety and schedule, safety comes first," he says. "Earlier this year, we found there was an opportunity to enhance the safety profile of the [XB-1] aircraft by including a stability augmentation system, to give us additional margin at high speed and at take-off and landing."

Instead of lecturing on "green" supersonic travel propelled by electric fans like Aerion, you could actually look like you're trying to build something. Given the history of all the various supersonic bizjet projects, the odds are still against them but at least they seem to be trying as their October 7 roll out date indicates.

Instead of lecturing on "green" supersonic travel propelled by electric fans like Aerion, you could actually look like you're trying to build something. Given the history of all the various supersonic bizjet projects, the odds are still against them but at least they seem to be trying as their October 7 roll out date indicates.

In that update from Bloomberg, it seems like Boom will attempt to breach Mach1 on its first flight. Does anyone have any sort of confirmation?
The 71-foot XB-1 will start making its first flights early next year, reaching a speed of Mach 1.3 before going even faster as testing progresses. If all goes well, Boom will turn its focus in late 2021 to completing the design of its first commercial plane, dubbed Overture.

We have not had a world war since the jet age,” he says. “When you meet people face to face, their humanity comes through.”
That's a good line that could have the power to brush away most of the ecological arguments against such plane.

Last edited:
In that update from Bloomberg, it seems Boom will attempt to breach Mach1 on its first flight. Does anyone have any sort of confirmation?
The 71-foot XB-1 will start making its first flights early next year, reaching a speed of Mach 1.3 before going even faster as testing progresses. If all goes well, Boom will turn its focus in late 2021 to completing the design of its first commercial plane, dubbed Overture.

It doesn't say that they are aiming for Mach 1 on their first flight. It says they intend to hit Mach 1.3 at some point in their early flight testing, then expand the speed envelope from there. To me, this phrasing suggests they may be backing off the claim that the XB-1 is going to hit Mach 2.2.

It's a scaled down demonstrator. It has three reliable J85 engines and a light weight full composite airframe. It will probably have a tremendous power to weight ratio. It's a fully digital airframe with 5 years more or less of nearly fixed aerodynamic configuration.
IMOHO they are in a good position to attempt passing that milestone in such a spectacular way.

Going past Mach 1 on the first flight will be a blast on the market, positioning themselves on the opposite side in term of practices with Aerion and right aside more traditional airframer like Dassault or Cessna.

Roll-out today, Wednesday at 1100am :

Edit:
No sign of any confirmation of a Supersonic first flight with even 3 month specified as being dedicated to go from first flight to Mach 1.
After undergoing a series of ground tests, the 21-meter-long aircraft will begin a flight test campaign in the third quarter of 2021 at Mojave Air and Space Port, Scholl said. "We'll be supersonic by the end of next year," he added. This is about a year later than the company's original plans.

Attachments

• hypatia-h_3f6101e30c7d2f92eaf30eb3f5a3bd93-h_ca5bd6b13322f77aaf5df226aca9b0e9-300.jpg
    hypatia-h_3f6101e30c7d2f92eaf30eb3f5a3bd93-h_ca5bd6b13322f77aaf5df226aca9b0e9-300.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot 2020-10-07 122839.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-10-07 122839.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot 2020-10-07 122902.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-10-07 122902.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 60
No sign of any confirmation of a Supersonic first flight with even 3 month specified as being dedicated to go from first flight to Mach 1.

Chief Test Pilot just said they would be working up to supersonic flight by beginning from a "small, well understood" envelope and building up in multiple flights. No boom on first flight. Sorry... (not sorry.)

It sounds cocky at first but I have the feeling the impact will be huge (no pun intended) dwarfing any risk of failure (it's an airframe with hours of fuel - you don't just retract the gear and boom the Mach door, you proceed slowly).

The world will at this time wake up from its Covid-19 lethargy and the public will want to focus on fast, snap of fingers kind of things. We are probably heading toward a new short decade aquin of the roaring twenties, with attention grabbed by futile things (but is that new?).
No matter what impact the first supersonic airliner will have in aviation, the one that will probably bang its way toward market dominance is the one that grab public attention.

Today, Boom got all the public attention with a scaled down demonstrator. There is no better opportunity to spice up a bit the challenge for their competitors.

It sounds cocky at first but I have the feeling the impact will be huge (no pun intended) dwarfing any risk of failure (it's an airframe with hours of fuel - you don't just retract the gear and boom the Mach door, you proceed slowly).

No, seriously, now you're just ignoring reality. There is ZERO chance that they would consider going supersonic on their first flight based on what I heard today. The Chief Test Pilot explicitly said they will work up to supersonic flight after their initial envelope expansion flights, and the CEO and everyone in flight test talked at length about how they are not going to take risks when it comes to life safety.

They're already well ahead of their competition, as far as we can see in public at least. Just getting supersonic flight next year would be huge; they do not need to take risk for stunts like you're proposing.

Does anyone know if the J85 has steel LP compressor blades/staters?

I notice it was never used in any super cruise applications and typically super cruise engines will have a steel front end. This was/is because of the heat build up during sustained supersonic flight. Aluminium Alloy loses strength too quickly and Titanium has a habit of catching fire although has seen a few applications. Most supersonic aircraft such as the F5 will only be cleared for a short time at high speed measured in tens of seconds to a few single minutes. The XB1 usefulness will be significantly limited if it can’t collect sustained supersonic flight thermal flux data.

Also has anyone seen objective for time at supersonic Mach number?