Boom Technology M2.2 SST

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Archibald said:
Completely ad hominem attack, hence completely stupid. If realism is foreign to your mind, I just can't help you. Keep drinking the kool-aid.

Tell me when Space Ship Two makes any meaningful powered flight. Next, when it carries passengers as promised since a decade. Also above 50 miles, since the engine is not powerful enough.

:(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceShipOne

You'll note three manned flights over 50 miles in the table at the end.

And "attack"? I think it's a fair assessment. You're lumping Virgin Galactic in with the Stavattis and Mollers of the world. Complete BS.

Archibald

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
BS my arse.

And the schedule keeps moving in the future, over and over...

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=39372.420

December 19, 2017

This was stated at the Suborbital Research Conference in Broomfield, Colorado yesterday.

Foust’s SpaceNews article has nothing really new about SpaceShip Two.

- Another glide flight planned.
- An undetermined or just unstated number of powered flights
- no projected dates for entry into commercial service.
- The billion or billion and a half dollar investment by Saudi Arabia is still being negotiated.
- NASA’s flight has not occurred because SpaceShip Two hasn’t flown.
This is a much, much more serious source thant freakkin' wikipedia.

And you are quoting Space Ship One, for God Sake. The freakkin' thing flew in 2004. since then it has been sent to a museum by Paul Allen himself.
You DO realize that SS1 and SS2 are completely different vehicles ?

sferrin

Reaction score
A schedule moved? Well THAT'S never happened in the history of space flight. *cough* Falcon Heavy *cough*, *cough*. And how about Blue Origin? Guess they aren't serious either eh? I mean how many slips has their New Shepard had?

Archibald

Reaction score
Ah I see, you don't bother to read what I'm posting. Or perhaps you don't understand a word. Well, I'm done with you, plus derailing this thread too much.

sferrin

Reaction score
Archibald said:
This is a much, much more serious source thant freakkin' wikipedia.
So what? You're saying the three flights listed at the Wiki page are lies? Do tell. As for Space Ship One and Space Ship Two (Virgin Galactic) being different vehicles, that goes without saying. They're the same GROUP of people though. Or did you not know that?

Archibald said:
Ah I see, you don't bother to read what I'm posting. Or perhaps you don't understand a word. Well, I'm done with you, plus derailing this thread too much.
Oh, don't worry. After their first flight to space I'll be sure to remind you of it.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
is this real/altered or ps?

the fuselage looks really small in diameter. Would you have to crawl to reach your seating/kneeling/whatever position for the flight?

I am a fan, don't take me wrong but this looks to me weird.

MaxLegroom

Why not?
Reaction score
It is pure photoshop/CG. Boom's own website doesn't own up to building planes yet, aside from the XB-1 demonstrator aircraft.

As for the size of it, things may have been incorrectly scaled, but the Boom is laid out like a executive jet, or, perhaps the Convair 58-9 that was never built. It's only meant to be two abreast.

Yes, for a moment I wondered if I wasn't paying sufficient attention to things and they went into production without my noticing it in the news. But it isn't real just yet.

mrmalaya

Consider it done.
Reaction score
That latest artwork has a wing that looks decidedly Concorde related. Certainly different to everything they have had so far.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
I just came back from watching their artwork on their website and... This is the thing (at least as engineered by their marketing dept).

It seems they have lengthened the fuselage and covered it with windows all along. Looks really narrow as noted (compare the diameter of the front wheels with that of a fuselage section).

What strikes me the most is the never ending fuselage length fitted to a rear mounted small delta wing. I mean see it in terms of alpha and inertia: this thing looks twitchy to land.

I would definitively have kept the short fuselage model.

Sundog

Reaction score
mrmalaya said:
That latest artwork has a wing that looks decidedly Concord related. Certainly different to everything they have had so far.
I haven't been to their website lately, until I read your post. Yeah, it's definitely turned into a baby Concorde.

sferrin

Reaction score
Better make sure you've hit the head before boarding. :eek:

sienar

Reaction score
That intake location seems bad given the high alpha approach this thing will need. Feeding the intake by vortex seems risky.

Flyaway

Reaction score
Boom XB-1 schedule slips, while JAL eyes Overture

Boom Technology has pushed the first flight of its XB-1 demonstrator back to 2020, as it works with Japan Airlines on its planned Overture airliner.

Boom chief executive Brett Scholl says the XB-1 – which is one-third the size of the Overture – will be rolled out in December 2019, about six months later than previously planned. He attributed the decision to a safety enhancement.

“Whenever it comes to safety and schedule, safety comes first," he says. "Earlier this year, we found there was an opportunity to enhance the safety profile of the [XB-1] aircraft by including a stability augmentation system, to give us additional margin at high speed and at take-off and landing."

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
NO SAS was planned before that?! Doesn't it sound odd?